Exposure to whooping cough-- What precautions should I take? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, ds's preschool just called and said he has basically been exposed to whooping cough for at least three weeks.

Anybody know what precautions I can take to prevent it (besides vaccinating)? Ds has actually had the vaccine, the other two haven't. Will that protect them?

My 3 month old has had a cough the past couple days, and now I'm sort of freaking out. You know how everybody sort of has one vaccine preventable disease that they are afraid of? Well, this is mine. What symptoms would show if she is getting it, how long is incubation ect. ??? I know I should up the Vit C. But I can't really give that to a baby.

Sorry, they have the flu right now. Adding pertussis on top of that just doesn't sound like a good idea.

Where is the biting your fingertips smilie?
#2 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Just sending you lots of hugs mama..
I assume you are bfing? You should mega dose on vitaman c and other immunity boosters that will go thru to your little one. Also, why not give a 3 mo vit C? just wondering?
Pertussis sucks but you will get thru it- my babe got it at 10 weeks and it did suck but alas it ended after 3 long trying months. I know this sucks but, imo, with pertussis being the vaccine so closely related to autism it is a no brianer. Autism being a lifelong journey vs a few long rough months that do end eventually...
good luck and let me know if you need any thing
#3 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was searching around and it seems like you can give a baby Vit. C. I just thought it would cause lots of gas and fussiness. I've been taking emergen-c every day to ward off this flu. I suppose I'll keep taking it.

I wonder how much I should give the boys if they already have diarrhea? I can't really measure it by the "how much the bowel will tolerate" method.

I sort of want to have her go in for a culture, but I don't want the health department in our hair either. I just hope she doesn't have it. I've had it and its no fun. I couldn't bear to see her go through that. Perhaps she'll get my immunity?

I suppose a call to the family naturopath is in order. s to you mama. You sound like a great person, and your babies are lucky to have you. Thanks!
#4 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 07:57 PM

Thanks mama-
just wanted to say that we did not want to deal with the health dept either and found an awesomwe accupunturist who would work on an infant-
he got needles and chinese herbs and it saved our lives!!
#5 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2all
Thanks mama-
just wanted to say that we did not want to deal with the health dept either and found an awesomwe accupunturist who would work on an infant-
he got needles and chinese herbs and it saved our lives!!
Please, please be careful with needles on an infant. I do not believe in that at all. Why would an infant need acupuncture???? How exactly did he save your lives????
#6 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I might see you here, mama. I'm not as nervous as you are since I don't have the two little ones. I'm gonna poke around and see if I can't find something about incubation, etc.

PS, if you know who it is, will you PM or phone me? I know the school is trying to be circumspect, which makes sense... but at the same time there are kids mine plays with constantly and others she seems barely to spend time with.
#7 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Oh... on how to gauge Vitamin C intake, watch their urine. Dose them throughout the day. If their piss has that neon color they are getting enough and peeing out the excess. If it is clear they have absorbed it all and are you need to up it.

Good luck!
#8 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi
Well, ds's preschool just called and said he has basically been exposed to whooping cough for at least three weeks.

If he has been exposed for three weeks than I would think he would have had it by now. I was exposed as a child by my three cousins and I never got it. So just because he was exposed doesn't mean he'll get it.

Quote:
Anybody know what precautions I can take to prevent it (besides vaccinating)? Ds has actually had the vaccine, the other two haven't. Will that protect them?
No, the fact that your ds has had the vaccine will more than likely not protect him nor the other kids. (You mean that he won't bring it home I'm assuming.) In any epidemic most children affected are fully vaccinated. The whooping cough vaccine serves no purpose.

I told my dd to keep this herb handy for my grandson.
#9 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 PM

I think a naturopath would be the best idea if it was me. Also, in the book Homeopathic Self Care, it recommends Hepar Sulphuris for whooping cough. I just bought some remedies at our local health store, although they did have to order some that weren't in stock. If it was me, and I couldn't get to a naturopath, I would call one, give the symptoms and see what the dr. says.

#10 of 12 Old 04-07-2005, 10:36 PM

Just checked something out, and Drosera is also recommended (homeopathic remedy). If it were me, I would get the 200 or 30 dose.
#11 of 12 Old 04-08-2005, 03:55 AM

Keep in mind all... what we are talking about (my DD goes to the same pre-K) is prevention and (if possible) nipping in the bud kind of treatment. None of our kids is symptomatic at this point but any of them may have been infected.

I am dosing myself and my daughter on Vit C like there's a fire sale on it.
#12 of 12 Old 04-08-2005, 11:37 AM

Gitti- it is kind of an expression-"it saved our lives"
But what the accupunture did do was lessen the severity of the babes cough- we could see almost imediate results- after getting a treatment, he was better able to breathe, his whole demeanor would change into a happier space, his coughs were that he could handle them, it kicked his immunity into natural overdrive. And yes, I went to a VERY PROFESSIONAL TRAINED ACCUPUNTURIST who has never encountered a problem working on small babies, in fact she was trained to do so.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page