tetanus info needed asap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-25-2005, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello all,

I need to know if tetanus can be found in just the "T" form. My daughter fell off of my husband's shoulders this weekend-a fall from 6'5". She had a really large 2-3 inch laceration on her head and needed 11 stiches. She fell into a creek and hit a rock. It was a terrible event and incredibly scarry. I could go into further detail but won't bc I'll start crying. Anyway, the dr's were great at the hospital. They were totally supportive of our non vax stance but did strongly recommend the tetanus shot. Here are my questions:

1. what are her chances of getting tetanus-I think they are minimal. My husband does not. her wound was an open one that gushed a lot of blood. It was properly cleaned and had a lot of "air time" open.

2. We live in Vermont. Isn't tetanus found primarily in warmer states?

3. She hit a rock, in running water.

4. Is there a way to just get the T and not dpt? I do not want her getting the other two. She does not need them.

Thanks Ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-25-2005, 10:19 AM

A tetanus vaccine after an injury WILL NOT provide immunity against any current tetanus infection.

Do you mean they wanted to give the TIG(tet immunoglobin)?

For the TIG,which is a pooled blood product from other people you get TEMPORARY immunity.Typically the TIG must be given within 72 hours of a tet prone injury to provide *protection*,and typically doctors push BOTH
TT and TIG for a non/under immunized patient with a tet prone injury.

If the wound was properly cleaned there should be little risk of infection of any kind. All ERs should have TT(tetanus toxiod) which does have thimerosal/mercury in it(only DTaP does not have mercury),and so does the Td or TD. Not sure on the TIG ingredients anymore. I would suggest doing a web search for TT,Td,TD,and TIG.

Also,over at:
http://www.emedicine.com there is a good section on wound care, and also tetanus in the Emergency med section.
Healings for your little one whatever you decide on!
#3 of 8 Old 04-25-2005, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the information!

no, they were actually pushing the TD shot. I really appreciate your information.
#4 of 8 Old 04-25-2005, 10:57 AM

the inserts are here:

http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/
#5 of 8 Old 04-25-2005, 11:11 AM

Sorry to post again! I thought TIG was from Aventis,but it is another company.Here is the insert:
http://www.univgraph.com/bayer/inserts/baytet.pdf

and emedicine links to tetanus:

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic3038.htm

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2254.htm

Again best wishes for a speedy healing!
#6 of 8 Old 04-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter
hello all,

I need to know if tetanus can be found in just the "T" form. My daughter fell off of my husband's shoulders this weekend-a fall from 6'5". She had a really large 2-3 inch laceration on her head and needed 11 stiches. She fell into a creek and hit a rock. It was a terrible event and incredibly scarry. I could go into further detail but won't bc I'll start crying. Anyway, the dr's were great at the hospital. They were totally supportive of our non vax stance but did strongly recommend the tetanus shot. Here are my questions:

1. what are her chances of getting tetanus-I think they are minimal. My husband does not. her wound was an open one that gushed a lot of blood. It was properly cleaned and had a lot of "air time" open.
Well, chances were minimal out there, what with all the blood and the water washing it, but there are quite a few cases of tetanus post operatively, where the standard of cleanliness in hospitals is one big :yawn

I still wouldn't be worried though...
Quote:

2. We live in Vermont. Isn't tetanus found primarily in warmer states?
Tetanus is found on your floor, in your mouth, up your rear end, in your ear - eveyrwhere. Eat a raw carrot and you will eat tetanuss.

It's everywhere, the dust on your computer keyboard, is a zillion tetanus spores technocentrally seated.

Quote:
3. She hit a rock, in running water.

4. Is there a way to just get the T and not dpt? I do not want her getting the other two. She does not need them.

Thanks Ladies.
Depends where you live. In our country, no. They have to order it in, and well, you know.. it takes three months, and that's just too slow...

Our kids have had some pretty heinous puncture wounds and I've just cleaned them out and left them.

But one particularly bad one was when the youngest stood on a pen knife blade. It went right in, and also, severed a nerve. But we did take him to the A & E, where they had a look under the pressure bandage and just put it back on again, and said Oh, we'll just give him a booster.

I'm like "Hello, aren't you going to clea it out?"

"Oh no, we don't need to. he's up-to-date isn't he?"

Nope I said. I picked him up and took him out ot he car and told my husband to deal with the now frothing rottweiler, who was screaming blue murder. My husband paid the bill for doing nothing, and the doctor came out screaming "What are you going to do?" I smiled and said "Take him to someone who practices medicine."

We took him home , I cleaned it out, and 13 years later, I'm still waiting for the tetanus to appear.

Oh by the way. Dh did have to hold him down for me to clean it out. He screamed blue murder. But it was worth it.

And it took him three months to be able to walk properly again... what with the pinged nerve and all...

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#7 of 8 Old 04-25-2005, 06:18 PM

MT,thank you for posting about your experience with your son.

I have dealt with the same type of incompetence here in California,USA. On at least three occasions; I have had great difficulty getting the most basic first aid. For example; an ice pack for a smashed foot, a splint for the same foot injury,a proper bandage for a burn, etc... I have even had to show a lifeguard how to remove a large wood sliver from my son's foot

I greatly encourage parents to take a basic first aid course. That way you will know how to deal with things ASAP and know if the medics are doing it correctly.

Jen, may I ask how old your son is? Td can only be given to a patient 7 years old and up.
#8 of 8 Old 04-26-2005, 02:07 PM

I'm not sure if any of my info helps, but Tetanus can exist only in anaerobic environments. You would need to have a very deep, intramuscular puncture wound that does not bleed in order for the Tetanus bacteria to live. Also, to ease your mind, Tetaus is extremely rare in the US. Are you in the US? Forgot to look (sorry).

Also, the Tetanus shot takes 10 to 14 days to become effective, which is quite a bit longer that the Tetanus incubation stage. Most ER's offer an imunogobulin shot that boosts immunity to infection.

Hope your kid feels better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page