Is it possible to delay vax after you've already started? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2005, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel terrible that I didn't start really doing my research about vaccinations until recently. Thus far we have done all our vax according to the federal and state (CA) guidelines. But now DS is approaching his 12-month well baby visit and I want to put him on a delayed vax schedule. Is that even possible once you start vaxing? Do you have to finish a series "on schedule" once you start it??? I know I can delay MMR because we never started it....but what about other vaxes like Polio or DTaP, which we already started?

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 08:58 PM

We did it... We stopped at 6 months after a few unfortunate incidents with the vaxes and peds...we will be starting with the measles part of the MMR in the next couple weeks (my son is 18 months)...the hep B vax he will finish before school, along with a few other ones. He won't be getting any more prevnar (the doc didn't recommend it even though Bran's only had 2 doses), and the mumps and rubella portions will be coming in a year and 2 years respectively...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 05-23-2005, 09:12 PM

We delayed after starting as well, so it is possible. We re-defined our vaccine schedule with our ped and it turns out that alot of the boosters are only necessary if you do the original series quickly. As a result, our re-defined schedule actually has less shots than a normal schedule with the same amount of protection at the end.

You've already completed the original series, though, so I don't know if there are time limits for the boosters.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:29 PM

Absolutely!
Without getting into all the sordid details, DD had 2 rounds of vaxes at 2months and 4 months and then we stopped and have never looked back. The doctors and health department would like you to think you "have" to finish a series "on schedule" once you start it, but that's just not true. Once you vaccinate, you can never turn back. But if you delay, it will give you time to do more research and you can always continue on..., if that's what you choose.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:59 PM

I totally agree with the pp. You can stop any time.

The only reason for boosters is that ca 5% of children vaccinated show no antibodies to the virus that they were injected with. So, instead of checking every child's titres, they (CDC) decided to just vaccinate every child a second time.

For some viruses a few kids do not show antibodies even after two vaccines, so, again, instead of checking every child's blood, they vaccinate all kids a third time.

There are some people who will never show antibodies, no matter how often they are vaccinated, but the CDC had to stop somewhere.

So, in reality there is no such thing as 'needing' the boosters, nor does it do more for the child. But the pharma makes plenty of additional money from that idea...(but that's another thread...).

You do not have to finish any series, there is no such thing.

Vaccines are based on a theory and the dose is based on guess work.

The sooner you stop vaccinating the better for the child. And like the pp said, you can start any time again.

We stopped vaccinating our 15 mo old grandson when we did some research. At that time we did one more shot - they told us it was a 'preservative free measle component' of the MMR. Who knows what he really got because now we know there is no such thing as a preservative free vaccine.

We continued to research some more and never did another vaccine. He is 7 years old now and perfectly healthy. Our second grandson is now 15 mo, not vaccinated at all and never will be vaccinated. He is the healthiest kid in his play goup.

Good luck in your research.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. I feel so much better after reading your responses! I'm so relieved to know I'm not "locked" into anything.

For those who delayed after starting, are you willing to post your newly revised schedule?

Thanks so much to everyone who responded!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=midstream

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

User Tag List