When were vaccines invented???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know when the first vaccines were put on the market? Also what vaccines were they? I'm working on a theory
Thanks,
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 01:15 AM

I believe it was the smallpox vaccine and it was introduced in 1800's. Before 1850 because England has compulsary vaccination then.

Here is a link with a timeline.
http://www.crc-vt.qimr.edu.au/vaccine/history.html
HTH
#3 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:45 AM

Edward Jenner is the so called father of vaccination. He developed the smallpox vaccine in the late 1700's.
#4 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... ok, my Great Grandmother was born in the US in 1896. Does anyone know what vaccines she would have recieved?
Thanks,
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#5 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:11 PM

probably just smallpox. That's my best guess.
#6 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ben Franklin's memoirs mentioned vaccines for smallpox. So that's pretty early I'd guess.
#7 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think just smallpox too. There was a flu one though in the early 1900's I think.

Desiree

#8 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I was wrong, it wasnt flu it was the plague, but there were quite a few others too:

1798 Smallpox
1885 Rabies
1897 Plague
1923 Diphtheria
1926 Pertussis
1927 Tuberculosis (BCG)
1927 Tetanus
1935 Yellow Fever

I dont know though if everyone received this or just those that could afford it or what. From what I can find just certain at risk individuals were given certain vaccines like the plague one and wealthier families received more vaccines than the poor.

Here is the link: http://www.who.int/vaccines-diseases.../history.shtml

Desiree

#9 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it seems like if anything my Great Grandma (Grandma's mom) would have only recieved Smallpox and possibly Plague as a child if anything. She lived to be 97 years old and was very rarly sick and she did not have any chronic illness or allergies. My Great Grandfather (Grandpa's father) was born right around 1900 and he lived to be 95 years old however he did have prostate cancer very late in his life. It just seems very interesting to me that they both were born around the same time and both lived very long lives. Could it be because their immune systems were not attacked by vaccines? I can tell you that my Grandmother and my Mom who have both been vaccinated their whole lives are much less healthy than my Great Grandmother was at their ages 75 and 48. My brother 16 had a vaccine reaction as a baby and has had allergies since he was a baby and "ADD" once he was started school. He has now been suffering from Mono since December when he contracted Pertussis and he can't seem to get over the Mono. But ya know my family does not see any conections here, they just think I am nuts!! :
Thanks,
Amy

#10 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 05:05 PM

Vaccines date back much further. But when were they put on the market in the US? See post above.

But the Chinese dabbled in vaccines over 2000 yrs. (2 thousand!) ago. Introducing the disease into the body in order to avoid epidemics is an old theory that has backfired every time.
Read about vaccine history. You would be surprised.

I think the Chinese only used orally or subcutaneous (under the skin) vaccines. Vaccine comes from the word cow (vacca = cow) and actually does not mean injection.

The interesting thing about it is that every single nation that has used it to prevent disease has had negative results and abandoned the idea.

But now the business is really big and powerful I am afraid it won't be abandoned so quickly.

In many European nations where they have experimented with vaccines way back and had negative results, they have it in their constitution that vaccines can never again be made law.

By negative I mean the disease WITHOUT FAIL was much worse where vaccination was used to avoid it, compared to neighboring areas where vaccines were rejected during the same time frame.

E.g. France vs. Belgium; Germany vs. Switzerland;

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page