DT Pediatric Vaccine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-03-2005, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not vaccinated my two sons, except for two doses of the DTaP vaccine. Their ages are 4 and 6 years old, my 6 year old had a mild reaction to the DTaP vaccine, so I am going to have them receive the Pediatric DT vaccine. I am wondering how long should I wait to have them vaccinated against the DT vaccine if they received their 2nd dose of the DTaP vaccine on April, 22, 2005.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-03-2005, 11:32 PM

This is some information from the CDC website. It's starts off with DTaP info., but the DT will tie in to the information:

VACCINATION SCHEDULE AND USE
DTaP (diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine)
is the vaccine of choice for children 6 weeks through 6 years
of age.
{added by LI: TD is for children under 6 years and under as well}

The usual schedule is a primary series of 4 doses at 2, 4, 6,
and 15-18 months of age. The first, second, and third doses of
DTaP should be separated by a minimum of 4 weeks. The fourth dose should follow the third dose by no less than 6 months, and should not be administered before 12 months of age.

If a child has a valid contraindication to pertussis vaccine, pediatric
DT should be used to complete the vaccination series. If the child
was less than 12 months old when the first dose of DT was administered (as DTaP or DT)
, the child should receive a total of four
primary DT doses.

If the child was 12 months of age or older at the time that the first dose of DT was administered, three doses (third dose 6-12 months after the second) completes the primary DT series.

If the fourth dose of DTaP, DTP, or DT is administered before the
fourth birthday, a booster dose is recommended at 4-6 years of
age. The fifth dose is not required if the fourth dose was given on
or after the fourth birthday.

Td is the vaccine of choice for children 7 years and older, and for
adults. A primary series is three or four doses, depending on
whether the person has received prior doses of diphtheria-containing
vaccine, and the age these doses were administered. The number
of doses recommended for children who received one or more
doses of DTP, DTaP, or DT before age 7 years is discussed above.
#3 of 11 Old 06-03-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie
I have not vaccinated my two sons, except for two doses of the DTaP vaccine. Their ages are 4 and 6 years old, my 6 year old had a mild reaction to the DTaP vaccine, so I am going to have them receive the Pediatric DT vaccine. I am wondering how long should I wait to have them vaccinated against the DT vaccine if they received their 2nd dose of the DTaP vaccine on April, 22, 2005.

If your child had a reaction, even a mild reaction I would seriously re-consider continuing the vaccine.

Why did you suddenly decide to give them this vaccine? They are healthy, right? They have not been vaccinate up till now and have had no problems, right? So why now? Just curious.

I have a 7 y old grandson who has not received any vaccines since he was 18 mo and I just don't see why he should and especially not diphtheria or tetanus. Two most unlikely things for him to get.

Neiter one of those can give your child immunity because the actual disease does not leave the child immunity, so the vaccine can not do that either.
#4 of 11 Old 06-03-2005, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Why did you suddenly decide to give them this vaccine?
I'm glad you asked this question Gitti!

Ernie, I just wanted to add for your information that I believe there were absolutely no cases of diptheria in the U.S. last year. Tetanus is also not that easy to get. It's not contagious, so as long as a parent uses common sense in wound management in order to avoid tetanus, infection, etc., the risks are quite minimal. (i.e. In 2003, there were a handful of tetanus cases and none were in anyone under 18 years of age.)

This is just my opinion - the very low risk of diptheria and tetanus wouldn't be enough for me to go through the series of DT doses. If anything, these two diseases are among the least likely to be contracted.
#5 of 11 Old 06-04-2005, 01:04 AM

Don't do it.

I reacted to the DPT, so they moved to the DT- I reacted stronger. So they cut the dose. I reacted stronger. So they just gave half a dose of T- I reacted stronger. FINALLY they decided to stop giving it to me and said I should make sure I never get it again because I was sensitive to it and could possibly have an ana reaction next time.... thanks....

Angela
#6 of 11 Old 06-04-2005, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

My two boys are healthy and I am glad that I waited so long to have them receive a vaccine. I am concerned about tetanus and this article made me think.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...115/5/1428#R12
The role of the physician in these situations is to provide parents with the risk and benefit information necessary to make an informed decision and to attempt to correct any misinformation or misperceptions that may exist. For example, in a national survey of parents, 25% believed falsely that their child's immune system could become weakened as a result of too many immunizations.12 Exploring and addressing parental concerns may be an effective strategy with reluctant parents. Only in rare cases in which the decision of a parent places a child at substantial risk of serious harm may the health care professional be obligated to involve state agencies in seeking to provide the necessary immunization over the parents' objections. For example, for the situation in which a child has sustained a deep and contaminated puncture wound, it might be justifiable to challenge the decision of a child's parents to refuse treatment with tetanus vaccine. In these situations, the health care professional would involve the appropriate state child protective services agency because of the concern about medical neglect. It would be up to the state agency to decide whether immunization would be required. Although this role of the state has been recognized as constitutionally valid in the United States, courts have closely examined such actions, showing reluctance to require medical treatment over the objection of parents "except where immediate action is necessary or where the potential for harm is rather serious."13
#7 of 11 Old 06-04-2005, 05:14 PM

Tetanus is just used as an example in this report.

If you are afraid of not vaccinating for tetanus, what the heck will happen if you tell them he's missing some of the other ones? If an overzealous healthcare worker believes a child is at risk of being in harm, they can call on a missing dose of MMR if let's say there's a measles outbreak . . . or not. It can be any one of the vaccines, not just tetanus.

Forgive me for being so blunt, but I say this b/c I care - while I understand CPS threats are real, if you choose to live in fear of CPS, then you may as well vaccinate for all the childhood diseases.

YOU are the parent. Research your state's laws, keep a copy of it with you in the glovebox or your purse. Be confident!!!
#8 of 11 Old 06-04-2005, 05:36 PM

I wanted to add something about what I said. When I said, "if you choose to live in fear," I mean that literally. It is a choice. . . . a choice you don't have to make.

Even the threat from school districts is real (especially in NY), but if my district would have given me a problem, I would NEVER vaccinate in order to
get them in or keep them in school.

Personally (and I know many others here) absolutely refuse to live in fear of health and/or educational authorities over their vaccination decision.
#9 of 11 Old 06-04-2005, 10:16 PM

My daughter had a reaction to her pertussis as well. Luckily, 4 years later she is still fine with the DT. But I do verify the vials before administering.
#10 of 11 Old 06-04-2005, 11:22 PM

You may want to read this thread
#11 of 11 Old 06-05-2005, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
You may want to read this thread
Gitti,
I read your posts and think ! But Tet. is one of the vaxes that dh wants to have done on the kids. I need some articles/studies/etc. to back up why we shouldn't. Got any?

Also, does anyone know why tet. is even on the vax schedule, especially if it's not contracted by kids? (I was thinking that it's some fallacy to puncture wounds...) If there's no real immunity from it, why bother having it there?

(btw, did read the other thread.)

TIA!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page