I think my unvaxed toddler has pertussis! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2005, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eek! I'm pretty sure my 2.5 yr. old has the dreaded whooping cough. His dad has it also, but without the "whoop" (which apparently is common for adults who were vaxed). From what I've read, antibiotics won't help at this stage, but is there anything that will? I'm sure some of you have to have gone through this with your unvaccinated kids, right?
I feel guilty because my milk supply just dried up a few weeks ago and that's usually what I rely on to prevent and treat illnesses. He's still nursing although there is no milk and sometimes he has spasms while on the boob, which I read is normal (although it said "in infants", I doubt emedicine thinks about nursing toddlers).
What else sucks is that a friend of mine vaxed her son because her doc scared her about pertussis (she ended up getting all his vax), and I'm sure she's going to be gloating.
Sigh. I brought this on myself, and I do not regret not injecting my baby with poisons. I just wish his immune system would live up to the stories people tell about their CLW, unvaxed kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a book called Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child and it has both natural and conventional treatments in it. This is some of what it says:

The total course of the disease is about 6 weeks. (Can be contagious for weeks) In the beginning it describes symptoms as upper respiratory infection, including cough. Cough worsens during the second week. During the next 4-6 weeks there are sudden epsidoses of intense coughing, accompanied by intense coughing with a "whoop" sound, red or bluish face, large amounts of mucous, vomiting, tiredness, and probably anxiety. It is more serious in younger babies, less serious in older children.

Dietary guidelines:
-Nutrition is very important in treating pertussis. GIve your child frequent small, but nutrient dense, meals to help maintain strength fring the course of the illness.

-Encourage fluids, spring water, herbal tea, soups and diluted fruit juices. Immune boosting astragalus and vegetable soup is an excellent choice (I will type the recipe at the end)

-Avoid dairy, it thickens mucous.

-Eliminate saturated fats as much as you can. They are difficult for many to digest under normal circumstances, and are even harder when the body is under stress. They inhibit healing by contributing to a toxic internal environment.

Supplements:
-Vit C (powder) and bioflavonoids. One dose 3 times daily for at least 2-3 weeks.
-Zinc, one dose, 2x day with food up to 2 weeks
-Carotenoids help heal mucous membranes, one dose of carotene complex 2 times a day for 2-3 weeks
-Pertussis can affect the bowel so lactobaccilus is helpful. 2x daily

Herbal Treatment:
-licorice tea (warm) one dose, 3x daily for 2-3 days (not to be given to a child with high blood pressure)
-Marshmellow root soothing for throat. One dose, 3x daily for 3 days.
-Osha root is a mild cough suppressant. One dose, 2-3 times a day until better
-Slippery Elm Bark, soothing lozenge or tea. One dose, 3x day for up to 4 days.

Homeopathy:
-During early stages of pertussis give aconite 30c every 2 hours for the first 6 hours
-Antimonium tartaricum is for a child with moist rattling cough is breathless and pale. One dose 12x or 6c, 3 times a day. Do not use this if there is a fever.
-Bella Donna is the child has a fever, one dose 30x or 9c, 3 times a day for the first 24 hours.
-Drosera is for the child with a cough that is dry and wheezy. 12x or 6c, 3x day up to 4 days.
-Spongia is good for a child with a crouplike cough that complains of chest pain. 12x or 6c, 3 xdaily for up to 3 days.

Accupressure:
Pericardium 6 helps to relax the chest. (This spot is below the wrist about 2-3 inches on the palm side of the hand/arm)

Conventional treatment:
If you decide to go the dr most likely antibiotics will be prescribed. Symptoms can still last for several weeks. An infant may be given respiratory support with a mechincal ventilator. Suctioning of excess mucous. Cough medicines are of little value and not reccomended.

Recipe for immune boosting Astragalus and Vegetable Soup:

1 astragalus root strip
1 burdock root
10 cups water
1/2 teas thyme
1/2 teas sage
6 cups of veggies, cut into bite size (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, green peppers, parsley, potatoes, squash, zucchini, string beans)
1 cup barley

-In a stainless steel pot, simmer the astragalus and burdock root in the water with the thyme and sage for 20-30 mins. Strain out herbs and use the resulting tea as broth for the soup.

-Add veggies and barley to the broth and cook. Allow to slow simmer for an hour.

-Serve warm. Makes 6 servings. (A trick to hide the veggies is to blend it in the blender so there are no visable veggie "chunks!" LOL)

Mama to a teen and tween
#3 of 5 Old 06-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

#4 of 5 Old 06-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Also, here is a useful link: http://www.*********/vaccines/whooping2.html

There used to be a post somewhere here that detailed how much Sodium Ascorbate per pound of body weight. I've been looking for it and can't find it. Maybe Tracy will see this post and know where it is.
#5 of 5 Old 06-11-2005, 08:12 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page