Current Vitamin K shot ingredients? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-05-2005, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to my family doctor tomorrow, and need to be able to discuss this knowledgeably with him. He will be handling our birth and pediatrics, and he is fine with us delaying/not vaxing, but I never know when we're going to get a curve ball, and we haven't discussed Vitamin K yet. My common sense tells me that you don't inject synthetic materials into an hour-old baby, but common sense never seems like a good enough argument with those in the medical profession. I need to be able to intelligently state my case if need be.

Does anyone know the current ingredients of the Vitamin K shot? I searched, but the most recent thread I found was from 2003, and I know these things are always changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 PM

Here is one (at bottom), including the oral, shot, and tablets:
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/k/konakion.htm

mmm. yummy.

Although you could ask which brand he's planning on using. This is by Roche though, which I think is what's used here?
#3 of 7 Old 07-05-2005, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link! Much appreciated!
#4 of 7 Old 07-05-2005, 04:14 PM

Probably the most dangerous ingedient is the vitamin k itself. Vit K regulates the metabolism of xenobiotics. It's presence increases the tumorigenicity of certain chemicals and allows other chemicals to bind DNA making them mutagenic. Some research has found a link between the Vit K shot and cancer and others haven't seen it (or have missed it). Regardless, the bioligical mechanisms of Vit K carcinogenicity have not been contested.

If you're worried about haemmorhagic disease, you can increase neonatal vitamin k through maternal Vit K supplements which then get excreted in the breastmilk. It seems like a better idea to take lesser gradual amounts maternally then to inject the baby with one massive single dose.
#5 of 7 Old 07-07-2005, 02:54 AM

Sorry I'm a day late. Most likely, your pediatrician won't even know you didn't give your child the injection. This is something that is usually handled by the nursing staff, in the nursery. So, how did it go with your doc?

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2003/03Feb_PI/AquaMEPHYTON_PI.pdf#search='AquaMEPHYTON'
#6 of 7 Old 07-07-2005, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, guys! I really do appreciate it!

My doctor is awesome. I never thought I'd say that about a member of the medical profession, but he really is turning out to be. Not only was he fine with us not doing it, I got the impression from the look on his face he was REALLY fine with it. In the month between our prenatal visits, I always manage to get myself all worked up about various stuff, and then I meet with him, and everything turns out to be okay.
#7 of 7 Old 07-07-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm glad it turned out OK and he is supportive of your decision. We didn't do the vit K with our last baby and I'm glad we didn't.

That is a good idea Moya for the mom to build her supply and pass it on the the baby.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page