At least 50 pox needed to gain immunity to chicken pox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After six anxious and hopeful years, chicken pox has finally been sighted near us.

My SIL's dad has shingles, and my youngest and middle niece developed the spots, with the youngest having about 15 and the middle having 3.

When SIL took them to the doctor, he said it's not 'real' CP because you have to have at least 50 spots for it to be worth anything, or to get any kind of immunity.

I have never heard of this before, has anyone else?

My one brother had three spots, when he was 4, after my older brother and I were covered in it. He's never had it again, despite being exposed to it from time to time.

I think this doctor is somewhat off on some other issues, so I'm not willing to believe this latest bit of information.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 02:06 AM

Not sure, but I had an extremely mild case just before I turned 3 (definitely less than 50 spots) and I have not contracted it since even after many exposures including my brother having it 8 years after I did.

I'd be interested, too, if there is any truth to what he claims.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:09 AM

I've never heard this. I had a very mild case of chicken pox when I was less than a year old, and when I had my immunity checked about 2 years ago (when pregnant), I had antibodies.

??

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 07-15-2005, 08:28 AM

I'm not sure either. But my cousin had it 3 times! The first two times she had very few spots.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 AM

I had it twice as a kid. The first time was very mild. Just a few pox. The second time was a full blown itch fest.

Mom to Kira March 2009
Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM

That is not true at all! That's basically saying that if you have a good immune system which keeps the pox in check, your immune system is actually malfunctioning. That makes no sense.

Funny, because I bet if the person in question had been vaccinated and came down with the chicken pox - like *both* of my nieces - he wouldn't be saying that. I bet if a vaccinated child had 10 pox he'd say, "Oh, the vaccine must be doing its job and that's why it's so mild. Don't worry - now you'll never have to worry about them again." I would even ask him, "If you're vaccinated and you get a mild case, does that mean you're not immune?" I guarantee you he would come up with some excuse for why that rule didn't apply to vaccinated children, in whom the vaccinatin apparently hadn't even worked! Both of my neices had about less than 20 pox - one had 6 and one had 17.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:53 PM

I dont' know for sure, but it sounds like a load of &*@# to me!

I had only a few pox when I was 6 years old, probably about 20, and I'm immune (well, at least I haven't gotten chicken pox again).
Old 07-15-2005, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

You know, the thing that gets me is, what if you have 48 spots. Or 49. One spot makes a difference?

Or whatever amount.

The whole things sounds crazy to me.

Three spots on the middle one was enough to send SIL's two sisters into hysteria because they don't want their kids coming down with it. (Even though those kids are vaccinated)

I'm calling it good and going over there.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:38 PM

My parents remember me having two spots as an infant. I've never gotten pox after that. I have been exposed multiple times. My boys just had pox this past April. I didn't get them. I figure I'm immune.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:43 PM

Mom said I had 10 spots, she didn't know what they were until everyone else in my K class broke out in the CP :LOL My sister got them 2 weeks after I did, my 1 brother 2 weeks after she did. My other brother got them a year or so later when my cousins came up so they could be exposed to whatever friend of the family had them. I was exposed while pregnant with all 3 of my girls(twice because my own girls had them) and have never got them again.

Honestly the dr probably just wants her to get the CP vax for her kids and that's why he said that.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:36 PM

Drs are always saying stuff like this, like the dr that tried to bully my mom into getting the CP vaccine for my youngest brother even though he had cp as a baby (6 months old, I got them, and passed them to both my brothers like a good sister : ) he probably wasn't immune since he was so young when he got them. My mom basically told the dr where to stick that vaccine! LOL

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 07-15-2005, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not sure about the 50 spots thing, but it is possible to develop such a mild case that lifelong immunity is not conferred. I had a very mild case the first time and developed a very mild case a second time.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
The spots might be one indicator of immunity: another would be the length and intensity of fever. My sense is that the "sicker" a child gets (up to a reasonable point, not life-threatening!) the more likely they are to have long-term immunity. Fever and spots are both caused by the host bodies response to the virus, not by the virus itself. The greater the response, the more likely that some sort of permanent immunity will result. This is why I get worried about the stories about "milder" cases following vaccination. Does this mean that the case is milder because the body has a good defense or because it has a "bad" defense and can't respond appropriately to the virus?

My granddaughter didn't have a lot of spots, but she did have a good 24 hours of significant fever. She was at least 4 years old, too. We'll just have to wait and see if she has immunity I guess.

Nana
Old 07-17-2005, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to update, a little.

Both girls now have a significant number of spots (at least 50) and the baby had a fever for about 24 hours.

Neither of them is really uncomfortable, although they have them inside their mouth, and to the 4 year old, it feels strange.

Quote:
Originally posted by Deborah
This is why I get worried about the stories about "milder" cases following vaccination. Does this mean that the case is milder because the body has a good defense or because it has a "bad" defense and can't respond appropriately to the virus?
I wonder about this too.

They're probably out there, those kids who looked like I did, when I had CP (covered, head to toe, inside every orafice), but I have yet to see or even hear about someone who had it 'bad'.

And like I said in the OP, we've been trying to find CP for years. This does seem to be a milder case, but I'm to the point where I'll take whatever exposure comes around.

On another confusing note, the baby's spots don't look like typical chicken pox. She looks like she's got acne, not chicken pox. The 4 year old looks more 'typical'.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:13 PM

Katana

In what way were the children exposed to shingles? I just found out that my dh's aunt had shingles when we were visiting two weeks ago. I wish I had known then because I would've had dd be more "loving" in hopes of getting CP. I am keep an eye on her body to see if she develops pox, but am wondering if just casual contact may have been enough.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 PM

Well, I had it twice. The first time was really mild (maybe 10-15 spots) and the second time was the "real thing." I would think it would have more to do with how deeply the virus invaded your immune system, and not so much the number of pox. I doubt the two are absolutely directly correlated.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 PM

My dh had the chicken pox twice. The first time he didn't have many pox but the second time he had a lot.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 07-20-2005, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mom2savannah_grace
In what way were the children exposed to shingles? I just found out that my dh's aunt had shingles when we were visiting two weeks ago. I wish I had known then because I would've had dd be more "loving" in hopes of getting CP. I am keep an eye on her body to see if she develops pox, but am wondering if just casual contact may have been enough.
Their grandpa got diagnosed with shingles, but for about 2 weeks, no one knew what they were. Sometime during those two weeks, SIL and the girls were visiting, and he hugged and kissed all three girls. He was also holding the baby for a while. He wasn't overly affectionate, he's not that way. I'd say it was casual contact.

The baby got spots about a week later, the 4 year old two days after the baby, and the oldest has nothing, yet.

There might be hope, they only saw him the one time, and got it.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by megpaw
Well, I had it twice. The first time was really mild (maybe 10-15 spots) and the second time was the "real thing." I would think it would have more to do with how deeply the virus invaded your immune system, and not so much the number of pox. I doubt the two are absolutely directly correlated.
This makes more sense to me.

I believe you can get it more than once, and several posters have validated that. But to make a blanket statement like, you only have X number of pox, nope, didn't work sounds a little to me.

To all who have had it more than once, I'm sorry.

User Tag List