Ideal age for chicken pox exposure? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, everyone! I have an unvaxed 10 mo old dd. Is there an ideal age for her to get CP? I imagine she wouldn't get it now since she's still BF, but when is a good time to try? I think I remember reading that the symptoms are less the younger they are. But is <1 yr too young?
Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

I had CP at age 9 mos and my mother reports it was v difficult -- couldn't keep baby from scratching, v miserable, too young to help baby through it w/logic. Also a friend's 2 children had CP at ages 6 yrs and 18 mos, simultaneously -- both cases equally severe, but the 6-year-old had some coping mechanisms in place so had a slightly easier time (though was sick perhaps 1-2 days longer). I don't really know what the answer is.
#3 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 01:12 PM

I had a two and a five year old with simultaneous cp, and they were both fine
crystal
#4 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would rather see a child over two and under eight get it. Fourish/Fiveish would be my pref.
#5 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. My mom just told me I had it when I was about 5, and it was over in 3 days. All I remember was itching, and laying naked on a towel all day next to my brother (he had it too), and covered in calamine lotion. Must not have been too bad.
Thanks again
#6 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 04:00 PM

My dd got it at 9 mo and was just fine. In my experience, it was easier caring for her than my 4 yo, who also had them, though she had twice as many pox. But neither child was very sick and the worst of it was over in 3 days.
#7 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 04:04 PM

My oldest got it when she was 2, didn't have any real problems. She was slightly itchy the first night but that was it. At the same time 2 kids(brothers) I babysat had it. They were 1 1/2 & 3 1/2. The 1 1/2yo was itchier, he'd sit and try to rub his bum along the carpet to scratch. My middle dd got it when she was 9months and other than seeing the pox you would not have known she had anything. She was covered, she had a bad case but did not scratch, rub anything, no fever or anything else. The pharmacist said that usually kids who get it when they're under 2 don't have a bad enough case for it to cause immunity but he figured my dd would not get it again because she had so many.

I was 5 when I had them, mom didn't know I had them until everyone else in my class broke out in them. She said I had 10 spots. I have been exposed many time since and never had them again. My sister was 7 and got them 2 weeks after I did, my 1 brother got them 2 weeks after she did, he would have been 2ish. My other brother(3) got them a few weeks later at the same time that one of my cousins(he would have been 4) got them. His older brother(he would have been 6) got them at that time too. The only ones who had a bad time were my 3yo brother & my 4yo cousin. We were camping and I remember them having the calamine lotion on them and oatmeal baths.

My bil(32), my neice(7 then) and nephew(5 then) got them 7 years ago. Only my bil had a rough time.

IMO there is no best time, each child is going to react differently. An older child may listen to reasoning on why they shouldn't scratch but they'll probably scratch anyhow.
#8 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 05:15 PM

I took my son to a pox party at 10 mos w/ after my naturopath OK'd it. Unfortunately, he didn't catch the pox, but I did!!! #$@# BF antibodies!!!!

The baby we were hoping to catch it from was 7-8 mos and had a really easy time.

HTH
#9 of 9 Old 08-07-2005, 06:05 PM

I think my brothers and I all got exposed to CP (my mom made sure of it) when we were pre-school aged. She definitely wanted us to have it before we started school. It was not too bad, I don't really remember much of it, although my one brother only got it mildly and ended up getting it again when he was in elementary school and my other brother kept picking at the pox and ended up with a scab that looks like a third nipple, lol. I think it would be more difficult with a child less than 2 yrs old, b/c they don't understand what is going on and I'd be afraid they'd itch and get an infection, esp at that age when they are still all over the floor and putting everything in their mouth and picking up everything on the ground, etc..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page