For those of you who have vaxed & unvaxed dc..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question. The thread about unvaxed dc running higher fevers made me wonder. Has anyone noticed a difference in the overall health between vaxed dc and unvaxed dc?

DS (9) was fully vaxed through age 5 and was constantly sick. In hindsight, I notice a connection between his illnesses and his shots. DD(7 months) had only the HepB (against my wishes) and she is so very healthy. By the time DS was her age he had been sick countless times.

I know that every child is different, but I wonder if vax/nonvax makes a difference. In my case, I think so.
#2 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 AM

The IAS in New Zealand did a survey years ago, using families which had children who had been vaccinated, and children who did not.

This study was ideal because it eliminates variables. The kids eat the same, live in the same house, same socio-economic status, same gene pool etc etc....

Without fail, the unvaccinated children had far far fewer visits to the doctor than the vaccinated children. The vaccinated children, throughout their lives, had more niggly incidents like colds, coughs, ear ache. Eczema was about the same, though unvaccinated children appeared to respond better to quackery than vaccinated children. But where the difference really showed up was in things like asthma, grommets, seizures... I've forgotten the whole results. Of course, the study results were dismissed as the uneducated ramblings of pot-smoking woe-begotton hippy drop-outs from the Manson tribe.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#3 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A study like that would be so interesting to see!

I dont have anything to compare as I only have one unvaccinated child. I am having another child in a few months but she will be unvaxed as well, of course.

Desiree

#4 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED
Has anyone noticed a difference in the overall health between vaxed dc and unvaxed dc?
My vaxed DS was always sick it seemed and was always being prescribed antibiotics that I dutifully filled.

In between DS1 and DS2, my mainstream mentality evolved into what it is today. We eventually stopped immunizing, absolutely no medications, avoid ped's office (only go for school exam requirements for certain grades) and implemented dietary changes - and he's been healthy for many years now.

My unvaxed DS gets nothing more than a runny nose, never been to a sick visit (not that I would take him anyway) and has had absolutely no medication.

I see a huge difference in health by simply allowing his body to do what it was intended to do. Even in my older vaxed child -- once we stopped medicating, he stopped getting sick all the time.
#5 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 AM

Both of my daughters are vaxed (dd1 fully, although I think I declined her last booster of something; dd2 got everything except the MMR booster and another booster - can't remember which one).

DS is totally unvaxed.

I would say that DS has almost never had a cold, and the two girls seemed to have constant runny noses when they were his age. So that is a definite difference that I've noticed.

BUT - when the kids do get sick, dd2 always bounces back MUCH more quickly than either dd1 or ds - so I think she just has a genetically better immune system.

All of my kids were ebf, and I am pretty anal about what they eat, so we don't have any problems with asthma, eczema, allergies, etc (despite the fact that all of the above run in my family and dh's family).

I'd love to see a large controlled study on this - interesting question...
#6 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 AM

man, I just wrote a really long post but accidently deleted it
Anyways, what I said was basically this:

My ds is unvaxed, and I don't have any of my own children to compare him to, but I always compare his health to that of his cousins who have been fully vaxed with every available vaccine at the earliest possible ages

My ds very rarely gets colds, he's never had an ear infection, and he's never been seriously sick.
His cousins on the other hand always - not an exageration - have runny noses, blocked sinuses and are generaly very sickly children. Neither of them can breath through their noses due to them being chronically blocked. His cousin that is 6 months older than ds has recently had a serious ear infection that 2 heavy courses of antibiotics couldn't clear up. He has had scarlet fever and some other illnesses that I woudn't consider to be 'common childhood illnesses'
I'll never forget seeing my neice just after she had her 6 week shots. She had dark green mucus coming out of her nose, not normal for a 6 week old in my opinion.

so basically what I'm saying is that IME unvaxed children do tend to be more healthy than vaxed.
#7 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 AM

I also just realised, my mother didn't vax me, so if I compare my own health to that of my friends who have been fully vaxed, I can definately say I am the healthiest. I have never had a serious illness and I hardly ever get colds.
#8 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveharps
I also just realised, my mother didn't vax me, so if I compare my own health to that of my friends who have been fully vaxed, I can definately say I am the healthiest. I have never had a serious illness and I hardly ever get colds.
Your a freak of nature sis', anybody else with your diet would have been hospitalised years ago.
P.S. Im gonna tell big sis that your dissing her kids online!
#9 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 PM

I always feel like a freak on these posts, b/c my oldest was vaxed w/ one set of vaxes and I blamed him being sick w/ EIs on that. My youngest is vax free and has been to the DR at least 20 times in the past 8 mos and already has tubes. They were both bf, in fact, my youngest is ebf w/ maybe 2 solid meals a day, while my oldest was 1/2 ff. I know some of Evan's problems have come from his reflux and MSPI, but it's hard sometimes when everyone else's kids seem to healthy!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#10 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 PM

DD#3 is not vaxed, my older two are fully vaxed.

While none of my children were/are very sickly I can't really say anyone is healthier than the other at a certain age. DD#1 had a handful of ear infections and tonsillitis by age 2. Her last ear infection was at age 6 (she just turned 12 Monday.)

DD#2 had a weird abscess on the side of her neck when she was 8 months old. The doctors never did figure out what it was. "Just one of those things you know." They lanced and drained it twice, she ended up in the hospital because the doc "thought" he ODed her on morphine. (She was one of those babies that would stop breathing for a few seconds when she was really crying hard, and the doc said she stopped breathing.) She had her shots at 2, 4 and 6 months so was this a shot reaction? I have no idea. Other than that she had a few ear infections the summer she was 4 but those were all swimmers ear so I don't know if those count. Oh yea, and this one was severally anemic, but I discovered this was due to too much milk and a possible milk allergy I didn't recognize.

DD#3 however was sick almost all of the month of April. Runny nose, cough, wheezing a lot. We explored many things as to what it could be. (we moved into a brand new house in Dec.) In the end, her molars popped in and she has been fine since. She does get wheezy if we give her milk so I figure she is allergic to it and I don't give it to her.

All in all I think they are healthy and one doesn’t seem healthier than the other. Of course the baby is only 19 months so I haven’t had that much time to compare.
#11 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
No difference in my under vax'ed (by US guidelines) DD (15) and my two unvaxed ones. But DD has the contitution of an ox. No EIs, dental caries or chronic illnesses or infections. She could be a poster teen for the Weston A Price Org with her broad face and flat nose (click on Ginny in my sig to see a photo). She was commenting to me the other day how much healthier she was than all her friends. One just had her tonsils out and has been on Vicodine (sp) for the pain.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
My DS was fully vaxed through his 4-year shots (he got them all by 3 years old; he's now 4 1/2). My DD is 18 months old and fully-unvaccinated. DS weaned at 21 months; DD is still going strong. Both children are amazingly healthy. I feel like I dodged a bullet with DS. He's never been sick enough to take to the doctor; he catches colds rarely and he's never been sick with more than a cold. He's never been on antibiotics. DD has also never been sick with anything more than a minor cold. However, (I don't know if I'm projecting or not, but) I think DD LOOKS healthier. She has this amazing healthy kid glow that I don't think DS has. Of course, it's possible I'm
#13 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 01:31 PM

My vaxed, supplemented-with formula first ds has been in the past about as healthy, and maybe a bit more healthy than my unvaxed, 100% bf ds2. Ds2 had ear infection after ear infection, lots of colds, the usual fevers. Seemed like he was always at the doc as a baby. Ds1 has had a couple of ear infections. But now that they are 5.5 and 2.5, they seem equally healthy to me, and haven't been sick in ages.

I really think that you can't expect to see the effects of not vaxing in the short term. I know far too many unvaxed kids with multiple ear infections, who are prone to catch anything going round and get it bad, to believe that. I'm counting on the long-term benefits.
#14 of 17 Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the interesting replies ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama
I really think that you can't expect to see the effects of not vaxing in the short term. I know far too many unvaxed kids with multiple ear infections, who are prone to catch anything going round and get it bad, to believe that. I'm counting on the long-term benefits.
I completely agree with this, but for now I am happy with my dillusion. :LOL
#15 of 17 Old 08-11-2005, 12:37 AM

Well my daughter currently 6, is fully vaxed....she had, MANY ear infections as a baby, and is on her 2nd set of tubes and had her toncles and stuff removed recently.

My son, stoped vaxing at 9 months, since has not had one illness, not a cold or anything.

Though I agree with the above poster, the long term benfits of non vaxing is the reason we stoped!
#16 of 17 Old 08-14-2005, 12:36 AM

DS#1 was "fully vaxed" but since he is 28 years old, that consisted of (I think) 7 shots by 2nd grade. He was healthy, just the rare cold or flu until he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 18.
DD is 5 and was "fully vaxed" (no cpox) till her first MMR. She had a reaction and I stopped her vaxes after that. Her rare EIs were easily treated at home with warm compresses and oil and she did have RSV at 12 months.
DS#2 is 21 months and got 2 DTaPs and a Hib. He reacted after the last DTaP and hasn't had anything since. He has excema and obvious allergies that are all controlled by diet and natural supplements. I am SO glad he didn't get any more vaxes than he did!
#17 of 17 Old 08-14-2005, 01:09 AM

My son was vaccinated according to the normal schedule and he was constantly sick after about 6-9 months of age until around 4 years old. He had recurrent ear infections, allergy problems and was constantly fighting off stomach viruses. Today he is 7.5 and very healthy, but he does have learning differences and developmental delays.

My 2 daughters are not vaccinated. The oldest is 3.5 years and has been very healthy, except for a few ear infections that occured after her baby sister was born. My theory on this is that the stress of adding a new sibling to the family lowered her immune system... I don't know how accurate that could be though.

The baby is 10 months old (also not vaccinated) and although she has only been to see a pediatrician once for a well check and never for sickness, she has had several HIGH fevers. She also had a pretty constant stuffy nose throughout her 1st winter.

I do think the vaccinations played a part in my sons poor health, but it was also due to the fact that I would give him antibiotics every time the Dr. thought he needed them. I have learned a lot since he was born!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page