what religions say no to all vax!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-20-2005, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I have been wondering what religions say no to vaccinations. Also if there are aborted babies (I HATE the word fetus they are babies) in MANY shots why do a lot of catholic's get vaccinated? I think the church itself should inform people if this if they even know! Our church never did! My mother never would have had any of the shots she did (my Grandmother is very religious she would have never stood for it!) So I just wanted to know if there are any religions that say no to ALL vaxing?

thanks so much
Karen and Baby Joe

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 PM

Christian Scientists typically don't vaccinate. I don't know about other religions.

Cells grown from aborted fetal tissue are in the rubella portion of the MMR, and, I believe, in the chicken pox vaccine.

It varies by state whether or not you have to prove you belong to a particular religion in order to claim a religious exemption. In most states, it is enough to say vaccination goes against your personal religious beliefs.
#3 of 17 Old 08-20-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomorrowsChild
Hello!

I have been wondering what religions say no to vaccinations. Also if there are aborted babies (I HATE the word fetus they are babies) in MANY shots why do a lot of catholic's get vaccinated?
I see you're in New York. NY's statutes are written so that the parent is not required to be an adherent to a religion whose tenets or practices oppose immunization. Your objection may be based on your personal religious beliefs.

The problem with religious exemptions, particularly in New York, is that you cannot pick and choose which immunizations from which your child will be religiously exempt.

In New York, a parents religious beliefs must be contrary to the practice of immunization. It makes no difference if each and every religious denomination in the country is opposed to abortion. In New York (and many other states), if a parent submits an exemption claiming they oppose only the MMR and Varicella immunizations based on the aborted fetal cells, their exemption will be denied. Your statement must conform with what is required by law in your state.

Even though the Vatican is not too happy about this ingredient and has publicly stated it's position, the law is the law. In New York, a child would still not be able to attend classes if the parent claims they object to only certain immunizations.

The only way to remedy this situation is to "lobby" the manufacters to stop manufacturing with cell lines from aborted babies.

Here's the Vatican statement: http://www.cogforlife.org/vaticanresponse.htm
#4 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So does that mean a person could not get an exemption and then selectively vax?
#5 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 08:30 AM

You would have to be discreet about the fact that you selectively vax. When it comes to enrollment time for school, you would not take any shot record at all--just your exemption form. Only you and your doctor would know about the vaxes your child has had. Generally this information is not centrally tracked (yet).
#6 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information and the link very interesting. I love getting more info to read!!!! But I am more looking for just a list of religions that do not vax at all I have been trying to serch on my own but no luck yet!!

Thanks again for the info and replies!!!
Karen and Baby Joe

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#7 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 11:29 AM

:
#8 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 04:42 PM

christian scientists from what i know...i'll try to think of a couple others too...

as far as the centeralized immunization info, they are trying to impliment it in TX...when i had my child three months ago they stuck a 'permision to have immunizations in online state record' sheet along with my discharge forms...i was going through and caught it and asked what it is and the nurse said 'oh, its just a database that all doctors and scools will have acess to to see when your ds is vaxed, it actually makes a lot less work for you so you don't have to get records all the time' and smiled at me and then she got really pissed when i ripped it in half and threw it in the trash...hehehe...yeah, i was a bit hormonal...lol
#9 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 04:51 PM

The Church of Christ-Scientist (Christian Scientists) definately do not support vax'ing. Whether individual church members decide to is ultimately up to them. We were raised CS, but vax'ed, as my mother did not want to rock the public school boat.

I know of no other religions that are explicitly anti-vaxing.

Jehovah's Witnesses I believe have an issue with vaxes/medicine that use blood/blood products in their composition, but you would need to ask a JW for specifics.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#10 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 04:57 PM

raversangel you make me laugh! Way to go!
#11 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 06:14 PM

go raversangel! I was not so assertive, though I did refuse to sign the hep B papers. I think just standing my ground at that time was pretty good, considering I couldn't sit up and was on morphine.
#12 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It is my understanding that Hindus and Buddhists would refuse vaccines since the religions promote vegetarianism and forbid the "taking in of animal products".

If they are vaccinated, it is because they were not informed of the vaccine's ingredients.

JMHO.

Jehovah witnesses allow vaccines as a matter of conscience according to my dealings with them. Alot depends on the family's experiences; the family I talked to vaccinated because a family member became deaf from a case of measles.

The traditional Mormons (ones who still practice polygamy) do not allow vaccines AFAIK as they beleive the body is sacred and should not take in alcohol, coffee, and certain drugs and treatments.

Some Scientologists extend their religion's prohibition against psychiatric drugs to other drugs and to vaccinations. Most Scientologists, in my experience, prefer to get their food from the hfs, drink raw milk and take vitamins.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#13 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Generally this information is not centrally tracked (yet).
It is in my state (RI). :
#14 of 17 Old 08-21-2005, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Oh, yes, the Amish, because they shun modern conveniences and anything associated with them.

Yes, the Christian Scientists officially do not vaccinate, but I knew lots of them who have and do...

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#15 of 17 Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice

Jehovah witnesses allow vaccines as a matter of conscience according to my dealings with them. Alot depends on the family's experiences; the family I talked to vaccinated because a family member became deaf from a case of measles.
my MIL is a jehovah's witness. (she just converted a few years ago.) some witnesses do not vax their kids. i asked one of her friends about this at bible study last week. she wasnt 100% sure what the exact reason was. we both speculated that it was because of the blood issue.

i did a google search, and these witnesses were waaaaaay before their time:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness6.htm
#16 of 17 Old 08-22-2005, 12:39 PM

I'm a Jehovah's Witness and we do not have any "rules" regarding vaccinations. It's up to each individual what they want to do. Most families I know do vaccinate. In my particular congregation, I only know of one non vaxing mama (and one that is pregnant is thinking about it.) I know more non-vaxing families that are JW but I met them here at MDC!! LOL

Desiree

#17 of 17 Old 08-23-2005, 01:31 PM

I believe the Vadican recently did put out a statement referencing the MMR and the aborted fetal cell line and asking Catholics to not take the vaccine. (I could be wrong on that, but it's what I took from the news report).

Here is a very good website IMO on a Biblical prespective of vaccines.
http://poisonevercure.150m.com/from_...view_point.htm

It certainly cleared up a few things for me and made signing the religious exemption much easier for me. I didn't want to sign it unless I could prove 'my belief'. I will say a few statements in this document are on the extreme side, but it is still a useful reference IMO.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page