Vaxing for the FLU? Know which vaxes contain thimerosal? Look inside. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Influenza vaccines containing full strength thimerosal:

Fluzone multi-dose vial
Manufacturer: Sanofi Pasteur
FULL STRENGTH THIMEROSAL

NOTE: Of the 60 million doses of single and multi-dose Fluzone vaccine, only 6-8 million will be truly thimerosal free single dose vials. Fluzone (single dose) is the only truly thimerosal free inactivated flu vaccine. As you can see, supply is very limited. Medimmune makes a truly thimerosal free version called FluMist, however, this is a live vax and indicated for children/adults 5 years and older.

Fluvirin multi-dose vial
Manufacturer: Chiron
FULL STRENGTH THIMEROSAL

NOTE: Of the approximately 18-26 million doses, a minimal number of thimerosal free doses might be available late in the season. What they mean by "minimal" is anyone's guess and they might not even have it in time.

Influenza vaccines containing trace amounts:

Fluvirin single dose vial
Manufacturer: Chiron
Contains "trace" amounts of thimerosal, but advertised as thimerosal free

Fluvarix single dose vial
Manufacturer: Glaxo Smith Kline
Contains "trace" amounts of thimerosal, but advertised as thimerosal free

On a side note: The vaccines containing trace amounts are indicated for children 4 years and above and children under 5 years cannot use the live FluMist. Therefore, only 6-8 million doses of thimerosal free vaccines will be available for children unless your ped is literally lucky enough to get his hands on a portion of that 6-8 million Fluzone. :

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5434a4.htm
#2 of 24 Old 09-15-2005, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping for posters concerned about thimerosal in flu shots.
#3 of 24 Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 AM
SHK

I wouldn't bother with a flu shot for anyone in my family. The problem with flu shots is that there are a huge number of strains of flu virus, and the shot only covers a handful of them...and they never really know which strains will be around, so it is a bit of pot luck whether they get it right..mean while you are getting the side effects of having a shot, and more than likely it won't do anything...as the last few season shots have found! I would say the healthier option is to steer clear of the shot and let your immunity build up to deal with it in a healthy manner.
#4 of 24 Old 09-15-2005, 03:56 PM

I would never get a flu shot for me or my family either.

Quote:
Medimmune makes a truly thimerosal free version called FluMist, however, this is a live vax and indicated for children/adults 5 years and older.
Oh and pregnant women cannot receive this either. So all the pregnant ladies getting flu vaccines are being injected with mercury. Nice. :

Desiree

#5 of 24 Old 10-06-2005, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Bumpity bump - flu season is just around the corner!
#6 of 24 Old 10-06-2005, 03:55 AM

#7 of 24 Old 10-06-2005, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the info longisland.

I wanted to post this for folks if they wish to view their other options to vaccines for the flu:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=351236

I'll bump the post because it really helped clear the mud for me on how to nurse a flu.

Sherra
#8 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping again for a specific poster.

FYI: For the next few months, I'm going to keep bumping this thread when it hits the bottom of page two b/c I'm sure there will be a significant number of mama's here vaccinating themselves and their children for the flu.
#9 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 PM

LongIsland,

The odd mother questioning might read this thread, but most mothers who do vaccinate themselves or their children, will sheeple walk right on by.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#10 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM

: They will post, but not in this forum. I already saw one on another forum.
#11 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Bumping again for a specific poster.

FYI: For the next few months, I'm going to keep bumping this thread when it hits the bottom of page two b/c I'm sure there will be a significant number of mama's here vaccinating themselves and their children for the flu.
Ah, I know who! :LOL
#12 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
They will post, but not in this forum. I already saw one on another forum.
:LOL
Have we scared more people out of these parts than I realized??????

MT, If just one or two people print out this info. and stick it in their diaper bag (maybe even email it around to their friends/family?), then it's worth it. But I hear ya! I hear ya!
#13 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 PM

Most provaccine mothers don't come here. The only provaccine people who really frequent this board are vaccine manufacturers to see what we are up to, their lawyers and other "stooges" whose job it is to keep an eye on the heresy espoused by scientific terrorists.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#14 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 PM

after all, this is where they get their ideas about writing articles and doing TV programmes on chickenpox parties and their dangerous parents; and how to word the questions on the CDC telephone surveys.

Anyone who thinks this is a "safe" forum to really speak their minds is wrong.

#15 of 24 Old 10-12-2005, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
The only provaccine people who really frequent this board are vaccine manufacturers to see what we are up to, their lawyers and other "stooges" whose job it is to keep an eye on the heresy espoused by scientific terrorists.
Considering Mothering Magazine is well-known to pharma as being anti-vax and has a significant subsriber base, I completely agree. They are watching and so are their advertising agencies and marketing departments.

Not only pharma, but law firms for school district's keep tabs as well. I know that b/c I've seen caselaw where a parent's exemption denial by the school district was upheld by a judge b/c it was determined their letter was taken off the internet. That's why it's best to keep personal religious exemption letters off the site and use PM.

And last, but not least - the beloved AAP! They're right up at the top of my sh*t list with pharma.

Some you of may say conspiracy theory, but it's happening. Pharma's very powerful lobby also tries to get legislation passed which adversely effect chiropractors and anyone else they think cut into their profit. Their lobbyists are EVERYWHERE and there are thousands of them. They go to school districts around the country, they go to senior citizen organizations, they go to your state legislators . . .anywhere to boost profits on their medications and vaccines.
#16 of 24 Old 10-13-2005, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that pharma also lobbies under the guise of the AAP.

Every state that has ever enacted the philosophical exemption has had a member of the beloved AAP there to testify at the hearings in order to make an attempt at quashing the legislation.
#17 of 24 Old 10-13-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
I forgot to mention that pharma also lobbies under the guise of the AAP.

Every state that has ever enacted the philosophical exemption has had a member of the beloved AAP there to testify at the hearings in order to make an attempt at quashing the legislation.
Do you know how many times they have been successful?
#18 of 24 Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Seems to me that the side effects of the flu shot sounds A LOT like the flu. Hmmmm....

And no flu shots here and we have never had the flu.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#19 of 24 Old 10-14-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
LongIsland,

The odd mother questioning might read this thread, but most mothers who do vaccinate themselves or their children, will sheeple walk right on by.
Oh, so we're the "odd mothers" now, hu?

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#20 of 24 Old 10-14-2005, 06:57 PM

Probably no one will answer my questions after I post this, but...

I think all the sheeple comments are rude. sheeple, sheep, sheep lining up for poison, etc.

but i've been known to be rude a few times myself, so i guess what goes around, comes around.
#21 of 24 Old 10-14-2005, 07:08 PM

Yeah I'm 27 and I have NEVER gotten the flu and neither has any of my kids, we've never vaccinated the kids and I have never had one either. Everyone I know who's gotten the flu shot has gotten the flu, hmmm, nope we'll pass the shots on to some other paniced person who think's they die with out them

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all vaccines made using thermisol but supposably its not there at the end of the manufacturing process in the thermisol free ones???
#22 of 24 Old 10-25-2005, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
#23 of 24 Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Most provaccine mothers don't come here. The only provaccine people who really frequent this board are vaccine manufacturers to see what we are up to, their lawyers and other "stooges" whose job it is to keep an eye on the heresy espoused by scientific terrorists.
I have fully vaxed my son up until we got the diagnosis of sensory processing disorder, then I put the brakes on and we are delay/selective vaxing. I am terrified every time he gets a shot, believe you me. My pediatrician guilted me into getting the flu shot last year, telling me it was 'trace' thimerisol. I never got him the second one. I won't be getting one for him this year. We are looking at an autism diagnosis. Hell no.

So yes, this is a good post. Not just the non-vaxing moms come in here. Some of us, who are sitting on the fence, come here too.
#24 of 24 Old 10-26-2005, 08:26 PM

Thanks ladies for all of the info. I will definitely never get the flu shot. Nor will I subject my children to them ever again.

Here's a little about me. Our first son was vaxed. It wasn't until he was diagnosed with sensory issues that we began to wonder about all of the vaxes he had. We are now planning on not vaxing our next child. I'm due in April. I will be lurking and posting as I find out more info. about vaxs. Thanks so much.
-Meghan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page