whooping cough "season" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2005, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the ol speech from my ped's PA today. "it is time to get her vaccianted, you need to get her protected"...... Her voice has been ringing in my head ALL day long! : Like I am not worried enough.
So I can really worry...when is pertussis "season" anyway? What months do I need to become a hermit? I wish this was easier I am scared to death!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2005, 12:51 AM

Pertussis season is where all the vaccinated kids come down with pertussis anyway.

Go to Advanced search. Put in the words pertussis AND treatment, exactly as written here. Ask to search the vaccine forum. click search, and take out of the threads that come up, what you need to give yourself a head start.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 AM

The largest percentage of pertussis cases in the US happen from June to September. So, you've already lived through it and didn't even know it and I bet you weren't even scared, so why worry now?

We are pretty sure that my dd had pertussis when she was about 5 months old or so. At the time, we never really considered pertussis because she didn't seem sick at all. She would just start coughing, then cough until her face turned all red/purple (but *never* blue) and then throw up everywhere. After she threw up, she'd "whoop" very loudly and be fine. It would happen maybe 10 times a day and she was totally normal in between. I just thought she was choking when she nursed. I do have to say that it was a little alarming when she did it, but it was always over so quickly that after the first week or so, I knew everything would be fine and I didn't worry at all. I just sat her up so that when she vomited she wouldn't choke on it. Really, it was no big deal. It is not a big deal at all for most kids over 1 year and it is rarely a big deal for babies around 6 months and up.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 AM

Pertussis is not a big deal to anyone but newborns. The only reason newborns are at risk is BECAUSE of the vax. Before the vax moms would have natural immunity and by nursing their infants would protect them.

-Angela
Old 09-13-2005, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I wouldnt worry either. Just nurse nurse nurse and up your Vit C intake. I read that July and August was "pertussis season."

Desiree

Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

How much vit C should I be taking? The doctor wanted me to start her on solids @ 4 months... I didn't. When is the best time to start them? Especially for immunity reasons. How long should I wait?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:00 AM

Time for a new ped. Even the AAP says nothing but breastmilk for at least the first 6 months. If you take a lot of vitamin C she will get it from your milk.

-Angela
Old 09-13-2005, 03:21 AM

Quote:
When is the best time to start them? Especially for immunity reasons. How long should I wait?
You may want to search the breastfeeding forum here. It has some darn sharp people in there to give advice. I love this board. I have never met such smart people and received such fantastic advice as I have here.

A great source for solids and breastfeeding is www.kellymom.com .

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Foods the first year are just to introduce textures, not to provide the basis of nutrition. If you can extend the breastfeeding to the 1 yr mark, that is good. You may even choose to go further than that..but to 1 yr as a basis of nutrition and immunities is good.

Sherra
Old 09-13-2005, 03:27 AM

Quote:
How much vit C should I be taking?
I take 500mg a day..some days 1000mg if I feel a little low on fuel.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:30 PM

You can take vitamin C to bowel tolerance. Meaning if you get a little "soft" (sorry, tmi), then back off a little on your daily intake.

As far as solids go for your baby, like already said - you should wait until they are 6mos old. You can skip the cereal altogether, which isn't much more than empty calories fortified with iron that your child doesn't need because they are bf. I'd go right to the fruits and veges. Smashed avocados are excellent brain food for babies!

And I ditto the "time to get a new ped" comment. It doesn't sound like you are getting the best, or even the most updated, advice. Have you tried the "Finding My Tribe" forum for a good referral?

User Tag List