TB test for an adult while nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2005, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 9 month old and am required to have a TB test to work in my daughters preschool classroom.

Any advice or info on if this is ok for my (unvaxed) son.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-20-2005, 09:00 AM

I did have my Dr write a letter for me while I was pregnant ,that I was not to have the TB test given to me (required at work )-I was able to put it off till after the baby was born & I came back to work but had to get it then & was nursing my kids (3 children I had to do this with).
For a school -in Ca -ask if they accept an exemption or a sputum test -most places will accept a chest xray also.

::
momma to 4
#3 of 8 Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 AM

I am totally ignorant on TB testing but I am also supposed to have one. I am also still nursing a toddler who is also unvaxed. So is there a reason I should not get one? Thanks
#4 of 8 Old 09-22-2005, 09:10 AM

I would not get the needle-poking tests. I'd get the spit test.
#5 of 8 Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 PM

I'm dealing with this issue too. What's the concern with the scratch/needle poking test? I think it's called the PPD? I was actually vaxed against TB with the BCG vaccine as a teenager (other countries do this, not the USA). So the scratch test may not work for me but I'm concerned about having to have repeated chest xrays. I had to do a chest xray for my Greencard, now for preschool.
#6 of 8 Old 09-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The concern with the skin test is that they actually inject dead tuberculosis bacteria under your skin, along with a bunch of toxic chemicals, including phenol. So anyone who has concerns about vaccines should have concerns about the skin test.

Here is some more information
http://tinyurl.com/bunbb

I think that most people unfamiliar with the test are thrown off by the word "test." They probably don't think that it is an injection.

You can ask your doctor for a sputum test, where the lab cultures a sample of your sputum that you collect at home first thing in the morning. You have to do really deep coughs to get up the mucus. It is really hard if you are not sick! My throat was sore for a day after doing it. But it was totally worth avoiding the injection or a chest xray! The sputum culture takes 6 weeks before they will report a negative result, so plan ahead and do it early.

If you are pregnant or nursing, your doctor will most likely order the sputum test for you no problem. If not, you can say you are allergic to one of the components of the test, or that you have had a previous allergic reaction such as hives or trouble breathing after a TB skin test. The doctor might suggest a chest xray instead. Just say you don't want to be exposed to the radiation, which is quite high in a chest xray.

You'll probably have to go to your own doctor if you want a sputum test. I called my county's public health department, where many people go to get TB tests. They said they would not do a sputum test for me, even after I told them I was allergic to phenol. They said they would have to do a chest xray instead.
#7 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 01:56 AM

Feel compelled to clarify a couple of things here.... (*please note that I am not specifically for or against any specific method of testing*)

The Tine and Mantoux tests do use purified protein deriviative (PPD)- they take parts of the cell walls of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria, so technically, they are not injecting the entire bacterium into you. Second, the PPD is placed in the skin, not the underlying muscle or into blood vessels. There are immune receptors in the skin that mediate the reaction to the PPD, a reaction does NOT necessarily indicate disease. Mantoux test is more accurate than the Tine test because it is more specific about the amount of PPD deposited and where it is deposited. Also noted at the above site is that previous vaccination with BCG does not invalidate the test results. And also that if you are allergic to any of the components that the other options are better.

The sputum test is a better option, IMO. Especially if you can get them to do a PCR Nucleic acid probe. Turnaround time is much shorter, and results are VERY accurate.

The Xray issue... Not that I believe everything I'm told, but the radiologists that I have spoken with indicate that the total radiation exposure in one chest film is less than what most people get from their TV's in a day. If you have a diet rich in antioxidants, you can rapidly neutralize any free radicals generated in you body from shooting the film. Of course that requires that the person shooting the films is adequately trained and not overexposing you.

Best wishes.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#8 of 8 Old 09-23-2005, 01:57 AM

My mw said it was fine and I had one when my dd was just a few months old. They did let me put it off while I was pregnant, though the mw said that it is generally okay even then.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page