Does he really need a booster MMR? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an 11yr old son and he is coming up for a booster shot...I believe it is the MMR booster.
He is up to date on his shots ( I wished that I found out more about vaccination before I had him ), he even got the Hep B shot when he was born. We lived on Oahu at the time and it was explained to me that since we are on such a small Island with people from all over the world coming to vacation here- it would be best
We almost lost him at 3 wks of age b/c of RSV, he was in the hospital for over a month....after that I was scarred to death and thought that I was doing him a favor by making sure he received all his shots.
He did receive his shots seperatly ( I really don't know what kind they were but they had to order them ) since my immune system was way down b/c of my chemo at the time.
I feel horrible about not knowing for sure what kind they were- I just went with the flow back then

Anyhow- can I just forget about the booster shot that his ped just asked me about?????
#2 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 PM

Yup. Forget about it.

And don't kick yourself up about it.

You did what most parents , including myself do...the best they know how at the time. Now that you know better..you can do better.

I think Maya Angelou said that.
#3 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jen, I just wished I had known better back then. But now I do and I really think we will skip it.
#4 of 14 Old 11-13-2005, 11:56 PM

If your doctor hounds you, get him to test his blood antibody titres for measles, mumps and rubella. If they are high, there is no reason at all to have any shots.

Course, the converse is that if they are low or non-existent, he will badger you even more.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#5 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

That is a good idea, I will do that if he happens to ask again.

Luckily we do not go to the ped often, I thought that my son might have broken his leg the other day and that is why we ended up at his office.
The last time before that it had been a couple of yrs since he had seen us
#6 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Yes, and something like 95% of people develop "probably lifetime" immunity (that part's from the cdc. hehehe) after just 1 dose of MMR at 12 mos. That number is 98% if it's given after 15 mos.
So, the booster is just to "catch" those that didn't develop immunity the first time around.
If you want links to that info, I can find them for you. I'm pretty sure it came from the cdc, and a manufacturer for MMR.

HTH

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#7 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Wow- I did not know that, yes I would love more info on that

Thanks!!!!
#8 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 12:42 AM

here's a link to the thread I started on this a while back- it has a link to cdc info http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&highlight=mmr
there's good info from other people there too

from http://www.vaccineinformation.org/measles/qandavax.asp (provax site)
"How effective is this vaccine?
The first dose of MMR vaccine produces immunity to measles in 95-98% of children vaccinated. The reason for the second dose is to protect those persons who did not become immune after one dose. After two doses of measles vaccine, 99% of persons become immune to the disease."

Approximately 95% of individuals become immune to mumps after a single dose of vaccine. The second dose of MMR vaccine is intended to produce immunity in the 5% of persons who did not respond to the first dose. This also ensures that the individual gets another chance to become immune to measles and rubella."

Approximately 95% of individuals become immune to rubella after a single dose of vaccine. The second dose of MMR vaccine is intended to produce immunity in the 5% of persons who did not respond to the first dose."

Another from the CDC http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevgui...1/m0053391.asp
"Measles antibodies develop among approximately 95% of children vaccinated at age 12 months and 98% of children vaccinated at age 15 months (CDC, unpublished data). "

I was actually looking for a specific site that I found, I think it was a manufacturer of MMR, but of course I never saved it. lol. Ah well- as I was searching for it, I found that you can find lots of info similar to what I've posted by doing a search for "measles mumps rubella 95" in www.dogpile.com or another search engine.

And- I want to add that this is the case for just about every vaccine, that the vast majority of people will develop immunity before they have received all of the suggested doses. For dtap, for example, most people are as immune as they will get after 3 doses. I was quite surprised to find this out!!! Just one of the many bits of "missing information" (missing from the info that "they" think you need. lol) that I thought was important.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#9 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you sooo much everyone- you were very helpfull in my decision NOT to give him his booster shot

Thanks!!!!!!!!
#10 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 AM

//
#11 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 AM

I have arthritis now thanks to a rediculous MMR booster for college.

Thaaaaanks, [insert name of my college here]. Thanks a million.

Another vote for don't do it.
#12 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM

Want to second what Deva said about how the 2nd dose of MMR is to mop up the few who got missed first time around. That is on the official website of the Ministry of Health in New Zealand.

ONe point: the MMR cannot be said to automatically confer immunity because of any boost in antibody levels. The antibody levels are not a failsafe indicator of immunity. You can have high antibodies and still come down with measles or mumps.

Immunity is an orchestrated responce involving many factors, not just antibodies.
#13 of 14 Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 PM

I'd bet all the money I have that none of the components of MMR is even close to 95% effective. This is a live virus vaccine so low efficacy is a very bad reason to want to get a first dose, let alone a booster. Are the non-responders the result of primary or secondary vaccine failure? The primary non-responders were injected with a live virus but never gained immunity to that virus. Since the vaccine is designed to be (mostly) asymptomatic, primary non-responders are primed to carry subclinical persistent infections of the vaccine viruses. IMO, with respect to live virus vaccines, high efficacy means you don't need a second dose and low efficacy means you shouldn't get a first dose. Seriously though JMO.
#14 of 14 Old 11-15-2005, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
I'd bet all the money I have that none of the components of MMR is even close to 95% effective. This is a live virus vaccine so low efficacy is a very bad reason to want to get a first dose, let alone a booster. Are the non-responders the result of primary or secondary vaccine failure? The primary non-responders were injected with a live virus but never gained immunity to that virus. Since the vaccine is designed to be (mostly) asymptomatic, primary non-responders are primed to carry subclinical persistent infections of the vaccine viruses. IMO, with respect to live virus vaccines, high efficacy means you don't need a second dose and low efficacy means you shouldn't get a first dose. Seriously though JMO.
Yup... I remember some swiss GP's did a study of their supposedly 98% safe MMR, and found the infection rate, particularly in the Mumps component, was huge. I have it somewhere, but had to get it translated. Basically, that is behind the fact that many Swiss docs don't like the MMR and won't use it themselves.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516345
Quote:
Nonpediatric physicians in Switzerland
often decline having their own children immunized against measles, mumps,
hepatitis B, and Haemophilus influenzae type b, according to a report in
the November issue of Pediatrics. In addition, they may postpone DTP or MMR
vaccination.

The report indicates that 10% of nonpediatricians would not follow official
immunization recommendations for their children, compared with 5% of
pediatricians. According to the study authors, these findings suggest that
many physicians are misinformed about the benefits and risks of vaccination
and are "unlikely to answer parental concerns adequately."
Pediatrics 2005;116:e623-e633.

Actually my opinion is that far from being misinformed, these doctors have probably used their eyes, and are far more informed about what is really happening out there, than either bean counters, or epidemiological desk pushers.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page