Relocating to NY, homeopathic vaccs or waiver? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-16-2005, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which is easier, and will NY state recognize homeopathic vaccs (this is something I know nothing of and just started to research)?

I don't want to wait until September to find out my dd can't get into kindergarten. At that point it would also be too late to homeschool (I believe I have to apply by a certain date prior to the school year, plus I'm not interested in homeschooling at this point). All that I know of NY is that it's harder to fight the system and I'd like to know my options from your experience.

And, any recommendations on a Homeopathic MD in Westchester or Putnam Counties?

TIA!! -Jeanne

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#2 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 AM

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/newyork.htm

I do not believe in homeopathic vaccines. Why do we think our immune system has to be protected? It is designed to protect us. And it has worked so well for millions of years that we have overpopulated the earth....LOL
#3 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 AM

NYS will not recognize homeopathic "vaxes" and neither will any true classical homeopath!

Actually, it has gotten much easier in NY to file a religious exemption (as long as the new ruling "sticks"). All you have to do right now is right a statement that it is against your religious beliefs to vax and that is that. (I need to run out the door in a minute, but Long Island should be along soon to give you the exact wording you will need).

(Hey, Gitti!! Welcome back!!)
#4 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 11:23 AM

//
#5 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatremum
Actually, it has gotten much easier in NY to file a religious exemption (as long as the new ruling "sticks").
You have until September, so there's no rush, but I understand your concerns. I'd like to bump up your thread in a few weeks after I have more information on the "stickiness" of recently amended NYS Education law b/c it may possibly not be the course you want to take if things change.

This part of NYS Education Law was recently amended on 9/29/05:

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/sss/Health...6-9-29-05.html

REGULATIONS OF THE COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION
§136.3(f) Accommodation for religious beliefs. Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no health examinations, health history, examinations for health appraisal, immunizations, screening examinations for sickle cell anemia and/or other health screenings shall be required where a student or the parent or person in parental relation to such student objects thereto on the grounds that such examinations, health history, immunizations and/or screenings conflict with their genuine and sincere religious beliefs. A written and signed statement from the student or the student's parent or person in parental relation that such person holds such beliefs shall be submitted to the principal or the principal's designee and shall be deemed to constitute sufficient proof of such beliefs.

If this law does not get repealed, then this is the statute you will use and you will have no problem with your exemption and you will not need to explain your religious beliefs if challenged.

Let's first see what happens in a few weeks though. I'm going to send you a PM regarding the amendment and the issues associated with it and you will understand.
#6 of 18 Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 PM

This is the first time I've seen you, Gitti--WELCOME BACK!!!
#7 of 18 Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you LongIsland. I look forward to your information. I didn't realize homeopathic vacs were not ideal (so to speak). I have a 4 year old that I stopped vaccs at 9 mos, and a 2 year old with no vaccs. I used to be on this board much more back in '99-01 but have been sidetracked with thoughts of homeschooling for a few years.

When would, if at all, this law/amendment be repealed?

#8 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
If this law does not get repealed, then this is the statute you will use and you will have no problem with your exemption and you will not need to explain your religious beliefs if challenged.

Let's first see what happens in a few weeks though. I'm going to send you a PM regarding the amendment and the issues associated with it and you will understand.
LongIsland, hate to bother you, but any news on the above? I've pretty much decided to stick to my guns and not whimp out to pressure.

Also, could you please post the link for a NYS religious waiver no-vax form?

Thank you so much!!

#9 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 02:29 AM

There is no "form" for NYS exemption (unless you count the b***sh** "waiver" forms some peds will ask you to sign for THEIR records) - and the first thing that LI rec'd to me was NOT to use ANYTHING you find on the 'net; but to write your own letter, stating your opposition in your own words.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#10 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobear
I don't want to wait until September to find out my dd can't get into kindergarten. At that point it would also be too late to homeschool (I believe I have to apply by a certain date prior to the school year, plus I'm not interested in homeschooling at this point).
OK, just b/c your DD is the "right" age does NOT mean that you have to send her to kindergarten, or even formally homeschool her, next year. You can always say that you've decided she isn't ready for school yet, if push comes to shove on the vax issue.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#11 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobear
LongIsland, hate to bother you, but any news on the above? I've pretty much decided to stick to my guns and not whimp out to pressure.
Unfortunately, that amended law wound up getting repealed by the Board of Regents about two months later.
#12 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 08:27 AM

When is kindergarten registration in your district? Typically, it's February-March . . . sometimes earlier. You would submit your exemption at that time. If there were a problem with the exemption, I'm assuming they would let you know sooner rather than later, particularly since registration is done so early in the year.

Regardless, in the closing of your letter, you would request a response from the district. In other words, you want to get confirmation on district letterhead stating your exemption has been "approved." My district immediately signed off on my exemption with just a note back to the nurse (on plain paper no less), so I sent a letter to the superintendent requesting a formal letter of acknowledgment - so I have proof for my records.

If you'd like help composing your letter, please PM me, especially since registration is fast approaching. It's your decision if you'd like to include a brief explanation of your beliefs. You can submit a just-what-the-law-requires letter with just the law in the text or one which includes a brief explanation.

If you submit the "basic" letter, you do run the good chance the district will request an explanation in order to determine if your beliefs are "genuine and sincere." I usually suggest submitting one with the brief explanation, so that they look at it, are satisfied and it's put in your kid's file.
#13 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Our K registration was in June, but DD had not had her "pre-kindergarten" ped visit yet (July b'day). I did not end up submitting my exemption til August; and only got my acceptance letter from the district a week or so before school started.

Had they not accepted the exemption, I was prepared to keep her home for another year and homeschool informally while I appealed.

#14 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
When is kindergarten registration in your district? Typically, it's February-March . . . sometimes earlier.

If you'd like help composing your letter, please PM me, especially since registration is fast approaching. It's your decision if you'd like to include a brief explanation of your beliefs. You can submit a just-what-the-law-requires letter with just the law in the text or one which includes a brief explanation.

If you submit the "basic" letter, you do run the good chance the district will request an explanation in order to determine if your beliefs are "genuine and sincere." I usually suggest submitting one with the brief explanation, so that they look at it, are satisfied and it's put in your kid's file.
I'm not sure what the registration dates are, I'll find out but it may be somewhat soon. I am fine with homeschooling if necessary, I was considering it for a while (researched it for over 3 years and informally hs'ing her as a tot) but later decided ps is the right choice, for now. Would it be wise to submit a request to homeschool to my school district so we have it if we need it? I thought I read somewhere that the deadlines are firm with requests and approvals through the state/district. Or would this just confuse the school.

Thank you for your offer on the letter! I will pm you when I can get a draft together.

#15 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 01:27 PM

I'm confused ... I thought you could pull your kids out of public/private school at any time to HS?

#16 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 06:41 PM

:

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#17 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
I'm confused ... I thought you could pull your kids out of public/private school at any time to HS?
Yes, you can remove your child at any time.

You do need to submit something (I think) called a letter of intent to homeschool to the superintendent. I'll post back with that information.
#18 of 18 Old 01-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page