Herd immunity? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone's thoughts on this?

My husband has done of some of the research w/ me about vaccines and is usually comfortable with our 2 yr. old not being vaxed. He however, still buys into the whole herd immunity idea. I don't really.

So I thought I'd ask the insightful ones here for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Herd Immunity is actually nothing more than nonsense. And once your enlightened dh thinks about it, he'll come to realize the same thing.

I did a lot of research until little by little I found out exactly what tricks the pharma uses to sell their poisons. And how low they would stoop. Mostly they use fear, threats, and guilt.

I don't see any logic behind herd immunity and neither do they. But it certainly is good for business.

If I worked in an office and I am the only one getting a certain vaccine, am I unprotected unless I convince all my co-workers to get the same vaccine?

If herd immunity is obtainable (which it is not) and the vast majority is vaccinated against a diphtheria or whooping cough, then why do we see epidemics in fully vaccinated groups such as is the case with diphtheria in Russia, whooping cough in Pennsylvania and so many places that we read about from time to time?

In those instances, which are ever increasing, we hear nothing about their herd immunity.

Realistically, herd immunity is impossible even under the strictes vaccine enforcement regime. Even if 100% of children were vaccinated. There is simply always the time period when some of the children are too young to have a certain vaccine, do not produce antibodies, or are ever so slightly beyond the booster time.

Most importantly, most adults are never up to date on their vaccines, of them doctors are the worst in keeping vaccines updated.

Besides, we have people who object because of religious convictions or other reasons. But that is actually beside the point because even if that were not the case, herd immunity could never be accomplished via vaccine nor in any other way.

Not even in nature can we create a herd immunity. We can inherit certain traits that build a stronger immune system, we can get immunity via breast milk for a certain duration, but neiter can lead to herd immunity.

I would define herd immunity as in when a certain pathogen can no longer attack us because we no longer offer the medium it needs in order to survive.

For that we would have to do profound changes. Maybe grow into a tomato?

Let's concentrate on what we are and how we have been able to survive for a millennium without interference in our immune system. Let's realize that during that time our immune system has become finely tuned to take care of us.

We do not have to take care of it.

Does your dh know that immunology is a research field?

Even the best immunologist can not tell you the pathogenic mechanisms by which infectious organisms cause disease in humans and whether or not germs play any part in that?

All of what doctors tell us is theory and much of it is based on pharma propaganda.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Most importantly, most adults are never up to date on their vaccines, of them doctors are the worst in keeping vaccines updated.
yeah, that So our "herd immunity" depends on the vaxing of, maybe, 90% of CHILDREN (what do they say the vax level needs to be?). Whether or not herd immunity exists, I find it rather strange that the suggested way of attaining it is to vax children, so that EVERYONE is protected. kwim?
And yes, the vast majority of adults have no vax induced immunity to most vaxable diseases. If you're interested in this, there are a few posts in the last month or so on it. I can look if you'd like that info for dh.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

User Tag List