No 187 35.82%
No, but I know at least one person who does/did 127 24.33%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 113 Old 04-29-2006, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have- so has my mom (who only had one sexual partner), my grandmother, 2 of my friends, and my best friend's aunt.

I had an abnormal PAP (determined it was mild to moderate after a biopsy) 3 years ago. A month or so ago I had the Hybrid capture done and now test negative for HPV- I take much better care of myself (better diet and supplements, no more cigarettes, got off of The Pill).

Just like everything else, MD's don't realize that it's not the virus itself, but the condition of the host (person who has it) that determines if it will lead to pre-cancerous cells and then if those will lead to cancer. The vast majority of women whose immune systems are working well will clear the virus from their bodies if they just do watchful waiting and as the old cervical cells are replaced by new ones the dysplasia will go away. Many women say "well my immune system is working just fine" but obviously it isn't if they continue to have problems. Some of us have to work harder than others to get our bodies back on track and keep it there.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 113 Old 04-29-2006, 03:18 PM

I don't have HPV and have never had warts. I may have had a cold sore once as a child, but not even sure about that.
#33 of 113 Old 04-29-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
I don't have HPV and have never had warts. I may have had a cold sore once as a child, but not even sure about that.
I would say if you only had it "once" it probably wasn't a cold sore. That is a different virus anyway.
#34 of 113 Old 04-29-2006, 04:00 PM

yes, I've had it for 5 yrs. I had cryotherapy at 20 and it didn't work, even though I had a false negative pap afterwards. a few months ago I had LEEP, don't know yet if it worked. It was starting to spread and get worse.
eta, I don't think anyone is trying to hide the fact that condoms don't prevent HPV. I've known that for many years. I never had any outward signs (no warts). There are hundreds of different strains of HPV. That's why most just go out of your system but some cause dysplasia and therefore, cancer. From my understanding, the strains that cause warts are not the same as the ones that cause cancer.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#35 of 113 Old 04-30-2006, 12:15 AM

HPV + with no warts here and only one partner - DH who is HPV negative! Was diagnosed right after marraige. Had what I thoght was a yeast infection but lasted so long I had a biopsy that was HPV positive. Was told the same as above - you can get it from toilet sets, bathing suits in stores etc....
#36 of 113 Old 04-30-2006, 01:15 AM

I thought that there was no cure for HPV...? Please inform!
#37 of 113 Old 04-30-2006, 11:17 AM

there is no "cure" as in no pill or medication you can take- but a well functioning immune system will clear the virus from the body or at least put it into such a dormant state that it is no longer detectable or a threat to your health. I'm not saying don't get paps if you eat well, but I do think that the reason dr.s are so into doing cryo, LEEP, and other surgeries is that they don't even take into account the overall health of the whole person- if they stopped and thought, "hmm...why does our own research show that most women clear the HPV virus on their own while some go on to have problems?" clearly there is a difference in the immune systems of the women who have no problems and fight the virus off and the women who do end up with abnormal pap issues. A more holistic approach is needed. I only wish I knew that before I had a cryo that caused tons of scar tissue and problems with labor.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

#38 of 113 Old 04-30-2006, 01:46 PM

but Jen, the thing is, it's not just "the" virus. there are MANY hpv viruses. some cause cancer, some don't. of course a healthy immune system helps, but it's not a matter of "100 people contract Virus X, 99 clear it over time without help, but 1 doesn't because of a weak immune system". & that really sucks that cryo caused issues for you I was really worried about it through my pregnancy too, & I'm glad I didn't get LEEP until after. Actually my Dr. advised me NOT to do LEEP until I was sure I was done having kids. I'm sure some dr's are a little over-enthusiastic about the procedures, but those procedures ARE necessary for some people and it doesn't always have something to do with the immune system. I haven't been sick in years, but my dysplasia was spreading and getting worse.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#39 of 113 Old 04-30-2006, 02:26 PM

I'm very interested in hearing from anyone who has gotten the virus out of their system..
#40 of 113 Old 04-30-2006, 02:36 PM

I had a high risk strain but after doing all the things I said in pp, I now test totally negative for HPV. One thing I did was take anti-viral herbs such as raw garlic (not pills) and Pau D 'Arco. I did the whole garlic in the vagina deal too a few times. I just wish Dr.s would take a more holistic approach to this issue starting with nutrition and herbs rather than acting like the only alternative is surgery or to just take your chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276
but Jen, the thing is, it's not just "the" virus. there are MANY hpv viruses. some cause cancer, some don't. of course a healthy immune system helps, but it's not a matter of "100 people contract Virus X, 99 clear it over time without help, but 1 doesn't because of a weak immune system". I haven't been sick in years, but my dysplasia was spreading and getting worse.
I didn't mean to imply that there was only 1 virus- there are many strains. A person can get more than one strain at a time or have one strain of HPV, beat it, then get infected with another one even. What I meant was that although some strains are more virulent that others, there are ways of naturally rev-ing up the immune system to beat them over time.

#41 of 113 Old 04-30-2006, 02:51 PM

no, have never had it, not really sure what it is?
#42 of 113 Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

#43 of 113 Old 05-12-2006, 11:44 PM

I voted no, but I recently found out my cousin has had this for about a year. Her doctor kindly sent her a letter telling her she had HPV. When she called the doctor trying to find out what it was she was told, oh well we talked about this, and my cousin was No we didnt. I have never heard of this and I never knew you were testing me for it. The doc said oh yea we talked about it. My cousin again says I have no idea what this is, what is it. Oh well it means you could get cancer, but you might not, but it is possible. So then my cousin goes on to ask how you get this virus and if it will clear her body and the doctor laughed. My cousin said she hung up and requested another doctor. (she has Kiaser.) I guess at this point she is getting paps every 6 months but that is about all they are doing. Shrug.
#44 of 113 Old 05-12-2006, 11:49 PM

yup- diagnosed with it when i was 17 and was told I got it from having sex too young!
Kind of messed with my my mind/self esteem for awhile

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#45 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
I should have had a selection for the following:

No, but I may have had the virus and it was missed b/c I do not have annual pap smears.
:

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#46 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 AM

I have had three abnormal paps due to squamus cells. two colposcopies (sp?)
one biopsy. So far it is just a watch thing. I tested positive for HPV after the second abnormal pap.

I know 4 people that have HPV. My mother also had HPV and died 4 yrs ago this july of cervical cancer. She was only 41 yrs old. My brother was 2 when she died. She waited for 11 yrs (through 3 miscarriages and one stillbirth) to adopt him and she got two years with him. I HATE HPV.
#47 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apwannabe
So far it is just a watch thing. I tested positive for HPV after the second abnormal pap.
Did they test which strain?

. . . and I'm so sorry about your mom.
#48 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
There are only a few strains of HPV that cause warts the rest are what is the word for when you don't show any signs of a disease?

Also I think HPV only casues genital warts. Cold sores are casued by a strain of herepes and common warts are just something completely different. I'm not sure though....
#49 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 01:23 AM

I don't know. How would I find out just ask my midwife? She did the pap but Ihad to go see an ob for the other stuff.
#50 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apwannabe
I don't know. How would I find out just ask my midwife? She did the pap but Ihad to go see an ob for the other stuff.
There is a DNA test to type the strain. I'll try to find a link.

ETA link: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/104_cancer.html
#51 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 03:50 AM

Nope I don't have it. And if that 80% statistic is correct I am very lucky! I got a little, um, shall we say, loose for a short time before I met dh And I was bad at using protection. I was tested for it a billion times though because when I was active duty they had some weird rule that if you were under the age of 26 they tested you every time you went to the doc's no matter why you went.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#52 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 07:00 AM

Yes I had it. I was sexually abused as a child and raped in college, I was also admittly sexually permiscious in my teens. Just months after my first marriage ('93)my down there turned into a head of calliflower and scared me to death. I went through horrible treatments with acid and interferon shots for over a year.

In "98 I had moderate dysplasia, biopsy and cryo. Cryo was one of the worst things in my life!!!! since then I have been completely free of any warts or bad paps. Although i have never been able to get a doc to do the dna test they say it's not needed.

Quote:
Just like everything else, MD's don't realize that it's not the virus itself, but the condition of the host (person who has it) that determines if it will lead to pre-cancerous cells and then if those will lead to cancer. The vast majority of women whose immune systems are working well will clear the virus from their bodies if they just do watchful waiting and as the old cervical cells are replaced by new ones the dysplasia will go away. Many women say "well my immune system is working just fine" but obviously it isn't if they continue to have problems. Some of us have to work harder than others to get our bodies back on track and keep it there.
I am in the process of (RE)lerning about vax, immunity and the like (nurse questioning everything I was taught) and I at this time question this. Growing up I had been on the sickly side, flu/cold/strept etc. I was otherwise in much better heatlh, ate well, exercised regularly than I am now. During this time was when my HPV showed up. Now as I have gotten older, less active and eat a horrilbe diet (which i"m working on) I could not tell you the last time I had any cold/flu, I am free of the HPV (ie no warts and clean paps)

Quote:
I only wish I knew that before I had a cryo that caused tons of scar tissue and problems with labor.
I can not amen this one more! I was WAY to mislead and uninformed abaout my cryo. Durnign labor with my son I had contrax less than 1 min apart for hours I had not dialated more than 1.5. Finally the doc came in a checked. "oh i see what the problem is" he says. The next thing I know he is shoving his hand into my cervix and I am filled with my first of the 2 worst pains I had felt to date (the 2nd was also b/c of dr.God) which literally caused me to pull away so fast and hard I went partway over the headboard of the bed. I asked him when I could breath again just what the prob had been..."oh just some scar tissue from your cryo...no biggie I fixed it"
#53 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 07:50 AM

I don't have it, but a friend of mine does. She may actually become a room-mate soon. Her former room-mate has a two-year old boy, and the boy's grandmother (and their landlady) kicked my friend out because she is HPV positive. She said she doesn't want her grandson exposed to it.
#54 of 113 Old 05-13-2006, 09:33 AM

Yep, twice in a row I was diagnosed via a PAP, refused further treatment, and it's never reappeared. Usually it's just a virus that the body can deal with on its own. But there are so many strains it's hard to know which one you've got, so doctors just want to treat it as if it's going to cause cancer no matter what.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#55 of 113 Old 05-14-2006, 12:37 AM

My DH and I are each others' only partner, and I don't have HPV as far as I know. DH gets cold sores sometimes, but I never have
#56 of 113 Old 05-14-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker
My DH and I are each others' only partner, and I don't have HPV as far as I know. DH gets cold sores sometimes, but I never have
Ok I will say this one more time. Cold sores are the HERPES Virus, which is NOT HPV.
#57 of 113 Old 05-14-2006, 04:39 PM

I imagine a lot of women never know they have had HPV. Some strains cause warts that can be entirely cervical and resolve themselves in a few months. Many women have had HPV or carry HPV but are asymptomatic.

For the record, I contracted HPV 16 years ago, from my 1st sexual experience. 5 other women, including my mother, sister, and best friend, have told me that they had HPV.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#58 of 113 Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
#59 of 113 Old 06-06-2006, 06:18 PM

Two friends, and the partners they got them from.

My good friend got HPV - on her vocal cords. Overgrew them until she lost her voice and had to have them all surgically removed. So much for that acting career

Another friend got them from his boyfriend. Again with the burning off because they were interfering with the normal function of the part he got them on.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#60 of 113 Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
EVC

I don't know for sure, so I didn't vote. I had CIN2, but strangely they never tested me for HPV.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page