No 187 35.82%
No, but I know at least one person who does/did 127 24.33%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just going to mention, but Savithy beat me to it by relaying the fact that her friend got in on her vocal chords, that hpv can attack any mucous membrane including the mouth and throat. Oral sex and perhaps even kissing could spread hpv if it's present there. It can cause cancer there too. It can also spread to the anal area and cause anal dysplasia and cancer.

Like others have said here, HPV is NOT just warts! It's a skin virus that you most often cannot see. You can pretty much assume that if you are sexually active, you are going to be exposed to at least some strain. (There are over 100 strains.)

There are anecdotal reports of genital hpv being transmitted non sexually, but I think the majority of cases that attack the genitals are transmitted from sexual contact. I don't see why people are so prudish about calling it what it mostly is -- an std. Who cares! Why can't we be open and unashamed about stds. We're all having sex and stds are out there. Condoms don't fully protect you from hpv.

I have had severe cervical dysplasia twice. I'm a healthy person, but even healthy and health conscious people like myself can have a bad day and become vulnerable to virus. Nobody should ever feel invincible. I'm sorry, but it's the height of arrogance to say "oh, anyone with a healthy immune system is going to be fine." We don't know enough about the immune system or hpv for that matter to make that kind of statement.

I've known LOTS of people with this condition. But frankly, it's not something everyone shares, so many of you may indeed know people who have suffered and not even know it.

Heck, my grandmother had a hysterectomy due to "bad" paps. I'm sure she had it too! She later died of ovarian cancer that spread througout her gut. I can't help but wonder if it was from hpv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Old 06-10-2006, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
There wasn't an option for: "I'm not sure."

Many years ago I had some warts around my vagina. Could have been one of the HPV thingees. Doctor didn't say. Probably 30 years ago?

Deborah
Old 06-10-2006, 10:47 PM

Just an FYI from an OB/GYN nurse of 20 years - you never get rid of this. I have it - will always have it. It is like herpes and lies dormant in your body for years and sometimes decades.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:51 PM

I know two people that had it. One is my sister. Her doctor advised her to change her diet and get lots of folic acid, less stress and more exercise. She cleared it up in a year. She only had one test done and then some follow up pap smears at 6mos then the year mark. My friend who is pregnat now also had it. Her doctor scared her pretty bad, she had one biopsy (sp?) and two colospies(sp) EVEN THOUGH at the time of her first check they only saw some old, old cells that were ready to fall off, yet her doctor keep telling her she had to get more tests done, and my friend keeps going back for them. Because she's pregnet she has to get another colospy(sp) after the baby is born even though the people at the lab are shaking their head because its done and over as far as their concerned.But her regular doctor wants these tests done "just in case". No mention of any alternative ways of dealing with this was ever mentioned. Over kill as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think I have.

Though I admit, I have no idea if I've ever even been tested. I just get regular paps every year or so, and have never had an abnormal result.

ETA: I've been told that anyone who's had multiple partners can pretty much count on having had it at some point... and I've had multiple partners... so color me confused.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

. . . I also want to chime in about all the mama's who answered "no" to the poll. It's possible (actually very likely) you did at one time contract one of the 100 strains of HPV and didn't even know it.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:54 PM

i didn't vote because now i'm confused. i've never been diagnosed with HPV but i HAVE had precancerous lesions removed + biopsies done on my cervix. :

of all the sexually active people i know (pretty much everyone ), only 3 have ever been tested for STDs -- 2 of them because they were pregnant and it was "just a routine test."
Old 06-30-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Old 06-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Have it. Have had it for a while. I've gone thru all the scrapings, biopsies etc. I have a cancer-causing strain. Basically all I have right now left is a white circle of cells on my cervix that are "pre-cancer" cells that may or may not turn into cancer. I am treating myself carefully by watching what I eat, taking lots of vitamins and staying regular with Paps.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 PM

I had/have HPV because I got a wart on my hand once. Nothing genital that I knwo about, but since very few strains cause warts I really don't even know.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:39 PM

I have multiple friends (3 of my 5 closest friends) who have HPV and have had to have coloposcapys (sp)
Old 07-24-2006, 02:43 PM

i voted yes (and knowing others), even though I dont know for sure. We have just opened our relationship to include someone who we know has it. It's possible we already had it (I've had a couple abnormal paps) but have never known for sure.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Have you had HPV?

With 5 million people getting the virus each year, I can't be the only one alive to tell about it.

Note: This is a private poll and therefore your user name will not be disclosed to me or anyone on the board.
I have it and I am not embarrased to admit it. I had an irregular pap and they called me to say that I have it. I have never had any symptoms. I have had it about 10 years now.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:13 PM

i have a form of HPV and have since i was a kid. I've had/have warts on my hands and also planter warts on my feet. I used to get them burnt off in my childhood.....now i dont care.

that being said, i just realised some of the ones that were on my hand are now gone, i only have one left.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:31 PM

I have HPV, a strain that is high risk for cervical cancer. I had a LEEP 6 years ago - pathology came back as moderate dysplasia. Paps since that time have been normal.

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM

I voted no, but know somone who does. But after reading some of this thread I am very confused. I had no idea you could catch HPV from toilet seats etc... but clearly so! and wouldn't the CDC be using that big time to promote the HPV vaccine(maybe the already are and I don't know-I haven't read much about it b/c I was so disgusted w/ it)

Also I had no idea that warts, cold sores had anything to do w/ it. I got some warts on my hand as a kid and have had one on my finger as a an adult. I get fever blisters(thats what I call them) on my lips alot(I figured stress) and dh has had warts on his hands and he gets cold sores in his mouth alot.....anyway, I get a annual pap and it has always been neg.

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
Old 07-24-2006, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
I'm not sure how to answer because I've had a wart before on my foot, but I've never been diagnosed with "HPV", although from what I understand, all warts are caused by some strain of the virus and everyone carries at least a few strains.
I didn't think about that. I have gotten several warts on my feet or hands, mostly as a child from being a dirty little tomboy in the country. They are different strains, but I believe that some sources say that the common one can cause warts in "other" places. But I do not believe that that is the strain that can "cause" cancer. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 07-24-2006, 05:15 PM

i have it. i tried to figure out who i got it from, but they say it can lie dormant and then surface so there's really no way of telling who i got it from. i get another pap after i deliver my baby to check on the hpv

There may be NO warts - i've never had warts. http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

and men can't be tested for it - very friggin helpful. http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV-and-men.htm

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
Old 07-24-2006, 05:56 PM

I assume I have had it because I had 8 partners before I married (and my handsome man was quite promiscuous in his days ). I figure I am one of the lucky ones who got the benign viruses. My sister had to have the cryotherapy, and a dear friend had to have cryotherapy AND external warts burned off (She had three strains of HPV at once)! From my clinicals I spent some time in a DO's office, and there is a form to check on the lab slip you send with the paps. Basically if the pap is normal great. If it is not normal test for HPV as it is a good indicator of risk for further abnormailities. If there is no HPV, or not one of the 2 "high risk" strains it seems docs are more relaxed about it. If you have it, they are more aggressive with biopsy. It is easy to test for exactly which strain, and you doc knows, but they may not tell you as so many people dont want to be active in their own health decisions or they think their patients won't understand. You have to be your own advocate.

My sister tests negative, but she has genital herpes as well and test neg. for that unless she has an active outbreak. The doc said the same was true for HPV. Has to be active to test pos, and hers could become active anytime. He said if it does reactivate then she will most likely see it as another abnormal pap. She gets them every year religiously, and has calmed down since her college days Just my experience.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:01 PM

I just found out I have HPV. My bestfriend also has it. Her strain is more a high risk them mine. She just had a LEEP done. My OBGYN wanted to do surgery on me because I'm so young (26) and only have 1 child. With the LEEP you can have premature births because the scrape off some of your cervix. I looked into natural methods. I only had mild dysplasia. I was taking supplements. High amounts of Green Tea, Indole-3-Carbinol, and CoQ10. I have stopped now because I am pregnant. I don't know yet if it has worked. There is a good article on HPV on alternative medicine magazine website. Thats were I got the info on the supplements. It said to cut dairy and eat a precatarian diet.
I'm glad I found this board. I know it is common, but really I haven't heard that much about HPV before doing my own research.

wife to dh mom to ds: :
Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM

Bump
Old 08-29-2006, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 AM

Yes I've had it, yes I know multiple women (and men) who have it, yes I've known someone who developed cervical cancer from it, yes that person had a complete hysterectomy when she was 24.

Death is not the worst-case scenario.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:17 AM

When I was 17 and with my first boyfriend and first sexual experience, I ended up with a few warts and it scared me to pieces to find them down there. I didn't have a clue as to what was going on..
Found out he was cheating on me of course. So he was a wonderful first boyfriend. (ya right)

But I went to the doctor and they froze them off.
I have never tested positive for HPV. In fact, at my 6wk postpartum appt., my pap came back abnormal and I needed a colposcopy. They tested me for HPV again, and it was negative. Thank goodness my colposcopy came back okay too.

I did tell my doctor that I always get an abnormal test at each of my 6wk pp paps. Still needed to get the colposcopy this time.
But I still to this day so far, have never tested positive for HPV.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 AM

I haven't and I only know for sure one person who has, but there may be others I don't know about (and probably are...).

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I should have had a selection for the following:

No, but I may have had the virus and it was missed b/c I do not have annual pap smears.
and add one for maybe cause I had 2 abnormal paps and they freaked out and screamed cancer at me and sent me for 2 colposcopy with biopsy and it turned out to be nothing at all yet they never said if it was HPV causing the abnormality or not

:
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM

I had cervical cancer due to HPV. I always thought HPV symptoms were warts and I never had warts. I was misinformed. After 2 abnormal paps I had a biopsy. I was SHOCKED when they told me I had cancer due to HPV. I had it removed and I am fine. My auntie sent me lots of vitamins to help my body heal.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 08-29-2006, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

. . . I also want to chime in about all the mama's who answered "no" to the poll. It's possible (actually very likely) you did at one time contract one of the 100 strains of HPV and didn't even know it.
I have the kind that gives you plantar warts (which I have-so gross). But I have always tested negative for it otherwise. SO not everyone has it. But if I ever do catch it, you will know it from the news.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 08-30-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

User Tag List