No 187 35.82%
No, but I know at least one person who does/did 127 24.33%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was asked to re-post my story from another thread...

Before I begin my story, let me just say that I am NOT pro-vax. I just seems that there are a lot of people here saying that getting HPV is no big deal. I understand that the vast majority of the women who get HPV will not have the problems that I have had, but I think that, to be fair, people should know stories like mine, too.

I was date-raped in college in 1987. I contracted both HPV and genital herpes. I showed symptoms of herpes first, and was devastated. But a couple of months afterwards, I started noticing small bumps on my labia. I went back to the doc, and lo and behold, I was diagnosed with HPV.

Over the course of the next few years, I battled constantly with HPV. I had too many colposcopies and biopsies to count. I had dozens of individual warts removed from my vagina, labia, lower stomach and thighs. I had full cervical cryo twice. I continued to have abnormal pap tests for almost 8 years.

I haven't continued to have symptoms since the mid 90s, but I continue to have 4 paps a year. My son was delivered via c-section after my poor, scarred cervix refused to budge past 6 cms.

I'll tell you.... I still have semi-regular herpes outbreaks and will probably continue to have them all my life. But herpes is a walk in the park compared to what I went through with HPV.

I don't have a daughter, so I'm not faced with the vaccine dilemma. I'm not sure what I'd do, to be truthful. A hell of a lot of reading and soul-searching, I guess.

--Olive
#92 of 113 Old 09-04-2006, 10:56 PM

I've been having Paps since I was 15 yrs old. Always fine until a few years ago. What happened - well, my DH had an affair with a young woman who had undergone cryosurgery multiple times. At the time I contracted this, I was smoking : and also on BCPs and eating a junk-filled diet. I have since given up smoking, take lots of vitamins, and have eliminated most refined sugar from my diet.

However, I am mentally shot thanks to this experience. I used to go in for my yearly appointments and enjoyed seeing my regular nurse-midwife. When I got the "bad" Pap, she had to refer me to her back-up doc, who has the personality of a box of hammers. No one explained anything the day I went for the colposcopy, including the fact that they do a biopsy with NO anesthesia (and he just did it - did not even warn me). I thought they were just having a look with the colposcope. I have to have a Pap soon as I'm now postpartum. I dread it. I cannot go through another colposcopy and biopsy - I swear someone will have to knock me out and drag me in for it. I'd rather have 26 IVs started simultaneously in all extremities than go through that again......
#93 of 113 Old 09-05-2006, 07:52 AM

Karen . I don't know if this will be any help, but I have a horrible time with my yearly paps (emotionally) and recently had to have a sonohysterogram done, my OB agreed to let me take a couple of valium and it really did help, I made it through without my normal anxiety/tears. Just a thought....

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#94 of 113 Old 09-05-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlivnmom
I only had mild dysplasia. I was taking supplements. High amounts of Green Tea, Indole-3-Carbinol, and CoQ10. I have stopped now because I am pregnant. I don't know yet if it has worked. There is a good article on HPV on alternative medicine magazine website. Thats were I got the info on the supplements. It said to cut dairy and eat a precatarian diet.
I saw that article too- it had some great info on how green tea fights HPV. I'm so glad you had a Dr. who informed you of the risks of surgical procedures on the cervix. You might want to wait to get a Pap when you go for your 6 week check-up after you give birth- I've known a lot of women get false positives and get really freaked out when they had their Pap at 6 weeks post-partum. I've also known of mamas here on MDC who have had an abnormal pap before pregnancy and then when they had a pap after giving birth it was completely normal- someone even had a link to some research that shows that pregnancy has a beneficial effect on cervical dysplasia. You might want to try searching the Birth and Beyond forum.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#95 of 113 Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 PM

Patty - Thanks so much for that suggestion. I have to do something - even Rescue Remedy does not help - and I am not normally an anxious person at all.
#96 of 113 Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421
I've also known of mamas here on MDC who have had an abnormal pap before pregnancy and then when they had a pap after giving birth it was completely normal- someone even had a link to some research that shows that pregnancy has a beneficial effect on cervical dysplasia. You might want to try searching the Birth and Beyond forum.
I'll add another anecdote to that...I had a colposcopy for HPV dysplasia a couple years ago. Had another abnormal on the follow up, but got pregnant before I had the colposcopy. Normal pap at 6 week post-partum, normal at my 1 yr check up.
#97 of 113 Old 09-05-2006, 02:18 PM

No, I have not had it (and would totally admit it if I had) and I voted that I did not know anyone with it, but after thinking about it, I think one of my friends may have in college. She had to get pre-cancerous lesions removed from her cervix. She never said it was an STD, but I think that's just because she was embarassed.
#98 of 113 Old 01-28-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

#99 of 113 Old 01-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Spy

I have it. Probably always had it. Runs in the family. No cancers.
#100 of 113 Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Sort of...I had a strain of cuteaneous HPV, which differns from genital HPV because it is spread through casual contact. Its the HPV that causes regular hand warts and plantar warts.
#101 of 113 Old 01-28-2007, 10:47 PM

If a mostly-dormant-probably-herpes-related-viral-thing-
that-shows-up-once-a-year-on-my-face-looking-like-leprosy counts ... then yes.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#102 of 113 Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs31 View Post
Sort of...I had a strain of cuteaneous HPV, which differns from genital HPV because it is spread through casual contact. Its the HPV that causes regular hand warts and plantar warts.
I haven't read the whole thread, but I have plantar warts, so maybe?

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#103 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
If a mostly-dormant-probably-herpes-related-viral-thing-
that-shows-up-once-a-year-on-my-face-looking-like-leprosy counts ... then yes.

Cold sores are not HPV
#104 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

FTR, most of the "no" poll answers are probably "yes." You just didn't know you had it and it cleared on it's own . . . like most instances of HPV.
#105 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 06:26 AM

I voted yes. I think I have. The first smear I had came back "borderline" so I had to have another 6 months later and it had cleared up. I am presuming that was HPV, but maybe it's not?
#106 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 06:37 AM

my hpv-infected self rejected Gardasil last week despite warnings from my gyn that several different strains could be lurking in my system (yeah, apparently, the vax will kill virus you already have! not!) why doesn't he just come out and say what he means- not all marriages are monogamous? I'm cool w/ that. But I still wouldn't get Gardasil. It was fun reading the pamphlet though, I really think a five year old could understand it they dumb it down so much, it's insulting.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#107 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 AM

Nope, but several friends do.
#108 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Cold sores are not HPV
It's not necessarily a cold sore. But thanks for the info.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#109 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 01:27 PM

I've had, my sisters have had it, several friends have had it. And we all, every one of us, have cleared it thus far. I know about viruses, and know that even if it appears to be cleared, it can still be lurking around somewhere. I think it is really important, though, to acknowledge that young, healthy women CAN clear the virus and can go on to be perfectly healthy with no further signs of HPV and no further abnormal paps. I tested positive for the high risk strains, and I will continue to monitor it through regular paps, but I also do a lot more to support my overall health and reproductive health in particular. It's important to acknowledge that HPV is somthing that can potentially turn into a very serious problem, but I feel that the mainstream medical world only focuses, and to a extreme degree, on this point. There is very little attention given to the truth that for a lot of women, it turns out to be less serious. Also, there are a LOT of nutritional and herbal therapies that can be used to treat HPV and cervical dysplasia. Invasive procedures certainly are necessary in some cases, but in others, there are plenty of treatments that are just as effective, but less traumatic than cryo or LEEP.
#110 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 01:28 PM

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread b/c I am working and there is simply no way for me to pull that off right now.

When I was pregnant I went to my OB and she did a pap, the results came back abnormal and that I had been exposed to HPV. She told me it was imperative that I get a colposcopy right away. Thankfully I had enough common sense to not get a piece of my cervix snipped off in the first trimester (following a miscarriage I might add), so much to my OB's chagrin I decided to wait until after I gave birth for that. I did have her look at my cervix, just not cut anything. She said there were definitely lesions but after researching it I knew there was a good possibility they would clear up on their own. So at my six week postpartum check-up, I had the biopsy. Guess what - it cleared up completely on its own and my following pap was normal too.
#111 of 113 Old 01-29-2007, 01:30 PM

FYI - a obstetrical nurse I know told me that she has the strain that causes warts and oil of oregano clears them up.
#112 of 113 Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

most ppl do not know if they have had this.  it can have no symptoms

ELY -Mommy to many

#113 of 113 Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Most people who are not virgins have had HPV. They might not know about it, because it usually clears up on its own. I don't think I've ever been specifically tested for HPV, but during pregnancy I had an abnormal pap smear, which I think is caused by HPV. (Also, abnormal pap smears are very common during pregnancy). My next pap smear after that, everything was back to normal.

I don't think these poll results are accurate. I don't think that many people (on a mothering site, thus not virgins), have never had HPV.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page