No, but I know at least one person who does/did 127 24.33%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you had HPV?

With 5 million people getting the virus each year, I can't be the only one alive to tell about it.

Note: This is a private poll and therefore your user name will not be disclosed to me or anyone on the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

I should have had a selection for the following:

No, but I may have had the virus and it was missed b/c I do not have annual pap smears.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm not sure how to answer because I've had a wart before on my foot, but I've never been diagnosed with "HPV", although from what I understand, all warts are caused by some strain of the virus and everyone carries at least a few strains.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:59 AM

I've never had it but I had a friend fight it off and be hpv negative after a few years....I do get paps but my doctor is paphappy.... But after being hpv negative my whole life and flawless paps...mind you there's always the infidelity factor (and I did have a friend get hpv from a toilet seat... easily treated as the condition was only on the far away buttocks part)

8 might be enough
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nope never had it. but I know several people who have.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:12 AM

No - not me

But i know several people that have
Old 12-20-2005, 02:46 AM

No ~ not me

I know one person that has.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:31 PM

not me but my cousin had it, had precancerous lesions removed from her cervix. Come to think of it, a co-worker also had lesions removed (that was a looooonggg time ago - over 10 yrs).
Old 12-20-2005, 02:10 PM

I have. I've had pre-cancerous leisions removed from my cervix, and I have at least 5 friends who've had the same.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:29 PM

Yep...was diagnosed now have no trace. I always speak up here to say it is NOT NECESSARILY an STD!! It CAN be transmitted sexually, but from what is known it can be transmitted many, many other ways..hands to down there, toilet seats, hot tubs. There are 100+ strains, most harmless. A few have been connected with a higher likelyhood of getting cervical cancer but our bodies VERY often make its own immunities to these strains too.

I think it is a ploy to get more women in for more check ups, more tests, more meds, more VACCINATIONS, etc. $$ It is real but not the big secret STD it is made out to be.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebesho2
Yep...was diagnosed now have no trace. I always speak up here to say it is NOT NECESSARILY an STD!! It CAN be transmitted sexually, but from what is known it can be transmitted many, many other ways..hands to down there, toilet seats, hot tubs. There are 100+ strains, most harmless. A few have been connected with a higher likelyhood of getting cervical cancer but our bodies VERY often make its own immunities to these strains too.

I think it is a ploy to get more women in for more check ups, more tests, more meds, more VACCINATIONS, etc. $$ It is real but not the big secret STD it is made out to be.
:
Old 12-21-2005, 12:58 AM

Nope...not that I know of.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies, thank you so much for those who have responded so far.

Of course, this is unscientific , but here's what we have so far:

UPDATED: Thirty-two women have had HPV and know at least one other person, so that equals 64 instances. Add the other 34 and we have a total of 98 instances of HPV so far.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:51 PM

I voted "yes and I know at least one person." I had mild cervical displasia and was schedualed to have laser treatment when I became pregnant, so I couldn't have the treatment. Guess all that folic acid during pregnancy helped because when I had my pap after delivery, there was no displasia (sp?.) My ds is 20 months and I have had 2 additional paps since and neither have shown displasia.

My sister had a LEEP procedure when she was 19 and my cousin had laser treatment. My husband's co-worker has a wife who had displasia and was schedualed to receive laser treatment, but didn't end up getting it for some reason, unknown to me, (I'm surprised her husband discussed this with my husband at all.)

When I was discussing this with my doctor, she told me that in my province (New Brunswick) 13% of women diagnosed with cervical displasia died before treatment was available. She told me that since they started treating it, less than 1% of women died. This was in response to my inquiry about the severity of mild cervical displasia. I'm not convinced that she was giving me accurate information.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Do cold sores count ?

If they do , yes.

If they don't , then I'll say NO , but I know someone who does. Actually two someones.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:59 AM

I wanted to add that I know more than one person who was diagnosed as a virgin (in teens no prior sexual contact of any kind) and many more with only one prior monogomous protected sex realtionship. Hmmmm...
Old 12-22-2005, 01:56 AM

No, but I can think of at least 4 people I know off the top of my head that do.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:22 AM

Cold sores are usually a herpes virus, aka HSV I or II. HPV is Human Papilloma Virus, or genital warts.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 12-22-2005, 06:18 PM

I don't. But if stats are to be believed, HPV is a virus that is very common. In fact, most men and women are infected with HPV at sometime in their lives. A recent study showed that in women who have had at least three sexual partners, 81% of them had HPV. Therefore, HPV it is the most common sexually transmitted disease. As previously mentioned there are approximately one hundred types of HPV. Some HPV only infect the genital area and may cause warts (also known as condyloma.) Other types of HPV can cause changes in the cervical cells, but these changes do lead to cancer.
I have heard numerous times that more than half the population is infected within 2 years of becoming sexually active.
I've had sex with exactly one person in my life, who has had sex with exactly one person (which would be me). And it's not what most people would consider sex anyway!
There is always the slight chance, but as of my last pap, I didn't.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash
And it's not what most people would consider sex anyway!
I was like : then I read your sig .

I have not had HPV, but these polls always make me think I better go schedule my pap, which I haven't had in 2 years.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 12-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash
I don't. But if stats are to be believed, HPV is a virus that is very common. In fact, most men and women are infected with HPV at sometime in their lives. A recent study showed that in women who have had at least three sexual partners, 81% of them had HPV. Therefore, HPV it is the most common sexually transmitted disease. As previously mentioned there are approximately one hundred types of HPV. Some HPV only infect the genital area and may cause warts (also known as condyloma.) Other types of HPV can cause changes in the cervical cells, but these changes do lead to cancer.
I have heard numerous times that more than half the population is infected within 2 years of becoming sexually active.
I've had sex with exactly one person in my life, who has had sex with exactly one person (which would be me). And it's not what most people would consider sex anyway!
There is always the slight chance, but as of my last pap, I didn't.
That's interesting re: 81% if >3 partners.

OT.... your last statement "And it's not what most people would consider sex anyway!" had me SERIOUSLY curious.... I'm picturing swings hanging from the ceiling, food everywhere, whips, chains, etc. and I'm thinking to myself, wow she must be really cool! ...Then I read your siggie.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:38 AM

I voted yes for me and yes for knowing someone else that has it. I had cervical cancer when I was 19 and my cousin had dysplasia in her early 20's.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Old 04-13-2006, 04:55 AM

No I don't have it nor do I know anyone who has ever had it. Unless of course it causes PID, then I know someone who has had it more than once.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:51 AM

I am confused. Does HPV mean any/all warts? Or are we talking genital warts? I answered "No" thinking it was a genital wart thing, but if HPV = any type of wart then the answer is "Yes and I know of at least one person".

flowersforyou.gif

Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 AM

No I dont but i do know on person that does ( former co worker who had multiple partners)

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 04-29-2006, 01:56 AM

I haven't ever had it, but I have a cousin whose wife had it and developed cancer and ended up with a complete hysterectomy at age 26. And just recently my BIL's girlfriend has been diagnosed. She also has a doctor that wants to do a complete hysterectomy, but she is fighting it. I will be talking to her tomorrow and will get more information. This is a very interesting topic, I am learning a lot.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:54 AM

Mild dysplasia is not always a result of HPV infection, for those whose doctors told them it was. Mild dysplasia can be caused by something as simple as bacterial vaginosis or cervicitis, and it will clear up on its own once the underlying infection is gone.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q
:
Way to go, Mama Q! I'm gonna agree with you & speak up here about HPV too: It is soooo not only sexually transmitted. In fact, it really gets my blood boiling when people pass out condoms to kids saying using them properly will protect them from HPV. Not even!! And the CDC KNOWS that but isn't exactly touting the message to the masses, KWIM? I guess it would be considered pandering to the religious right to say condoms don't work as well as abstinence does...
Old 04-29-2006, 02:31 PM

I voted no, my hubby was my first and only, and I was his. I used to get paps, don't bother anymore. I haven't known anyone (irl) who had it either.

Misty

User Tag List