Need advice about Vaccination Waiver! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I made a big mistake a few months back when I brought my now 5 month old to her 2 month check-up. I declined vaccinations that day. (At the time I was really unsure which way to go but had read too much scary stuff to decide either way) My mistake was signing the vaccine waiver that in so many words says that I understand the risks of not vaxing and that I am putting my child and others at risk. If I did not sign my daughter would not be accepted as a patient. I know now how stupid that was, I guess I signed it because I figured all peds would make me sign one and if I didn't I wouldn't have anywhere to take my daughter. Of course it doesn't say I am not giving her the vaccine because I want to protect her from the vaccine risks.

Anyway, I actually found a doctor on this site who is understanding of non vaxers and overall feels children or over vaccinated. So I am going to meet him for her 6 month check up this month.

I am going to my regular ped. today to remove the waiver. What are my rights?? I dont want to tell them in advance so that they can copy and keep on file. I don't want this to remain in her file.
#2 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:37 PM

The vaccine waiver is not a legal document and you are not bound to it.

Regardless, I would send a letter to your former ped informing them your child is no longer a patient and request a file transfer. Although they will keep your records in their files (not sure for how long), at least they will formally be made aware you are no longer a patient.

I wouldn't worry about it.
#3 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
The vaccine waiver is not a legal document and you are not bound to it.

Regardless, I would send a letter to your former ped informing them your child is no longer a patient and request a file transfer. Although they will keep your records in their files (not sure for how long), at least they will formally be made aware you are no longer a patient.

I wouldn't worry about it.
I have read so many posts on this forum about peds calling cps on parents and using this against them. Do you think this doesnt matter since I will no longer go to them?
#4 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:40 PM

. . . or you could make an appointment and take it out of your file when the nurse leaves.

Honestly . . . don't worry about it.
#5 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:41 PM

When my dd changed peds she never notified the first ped. She simply switched. there was really nothing on the record he needed. She told him how much the baby had weight before etc. no problem.

why pass that paper on from one ped to the next. Besides sometimes they charge you $10 per copy of file to be transferred.

Of course we no longer do well-baby visits so it doesn't matter at all....
#6 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaEvelyn
I have read so many posts on this forum about peds calling cps on parents and using this against them.
I don't recall any parent on this forum having a vaccine waiver used against them. The vaccine waiver "concept" is fairly recent.

The intent of the vaccine waiver is to "cover" the doctor's arse.
#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
I don't recall any parent on this forum having a vaccine waiver used against them. The vaccine waiver "concept" is fairly recent.

The intent of the vaccine waiver is to "cover" the doctor's arse.
Maybe the forum wasnt saying that it was used against them but that it was mentioned as a possibility.
#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
When my dd changed peds she never notified the first ped. She simply switched.
I wouldn't suggest doing that.

It should be noted in the file that the child is no longer a patient. Even if a parent leaving the practice stems from an argument, something should be in the file indicating the child is no longer a patient. It doesn't have to be a formal letter, but at least a notation.
#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 PM

I signed the same form and am also switching peds. I too regret signing the form. Is it possible to get her records myself and take them to her new ped.? Will that waiver form be in there so that I can just take it out?
#10 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_b
I signed the same form and am also switching peds. I too regret signing the form. Is it possible to get her records myself and take them to her new ped.? Will that waiver form be in there so that I can just take it out?
I think they send a copy to your new doctor and keep theirs.
#11 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM

If I wanted to remove something from my (or DS') medical record I would make an appointment and then while waiting in the exam room for the doc I would take it out of the file myself. Usually the file folder is left in a little slot right outside the exam room door.

Otherwise, I suppose you could write up a letter stating that you rescind your earlier signed statement and request they put THAT in the file. Not sure it makes any difference, but you might feel better. You could even have it notarized before you send it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page