Selective Vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
MamaMaria309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Far Rockaway, NY
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wanting to do selective vaccines for both kids. My DD is not "up to date" on her shots, and yesturday the new doctor we saw gave DS four shots instead of the two I asked him to give him. So now I'm wondering to those of you who give selective vaccines, what do you get on your kids and why? My daughter got the Hepatitis, and like 3-4 others. Other than that, she is 15 months and has not even gotten the MMR yet, which I wanted to delay till she was 18 months to 2 years old. I knew this would be the place to ask.

TIA!
MamaMaria309 is offline  
#2 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
 
HeatherHeather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMaria309
yesturday the new doctor we saw gave DS four shots instead of the two I asked him to give him.

I don't selectively vax, so I can't really help you with that, but I just have to ask are you even considering going back to a doctor who gave your ds two vaccines which you asked her/him not to give?
HeatherHeather is offline  
#3 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 04:35 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe you will find a different answer for this from every person, because everyone who selectively vax has their own criteria for what they select, KWIM?

We selectively vax.

We do not vaxes until 6 months, and only do one at a time.

We don't do the chicken pox or rubella (which means we don't do the MMR) because they are cultured on aborted fetal tissue.

We don't do Hep B before age 5 when my kids go to school, because before that they stay home with us.

Is that sort of what you were looking for?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#4 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 04:36 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome! I started out planning to selectively vax on a delayed schedule and researched each disease and vax to decide what to give when. By the time I finished researching I decided not to vax at all.

good luck with your research! Try searching here for whatever you're interested in learning about.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#5 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 05:10 PM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is 16 months. So far she's had three does of DTaP and two of HIB. We're not doing varicella-- that one strikes me as downright silly. We're not doing Hep B, because my toddler is clearly not at risk of catching that. We're not doing Prevnar, because I haven't seen enough information on that one to make any kind of informed decision. We'll talk about MMR as she approaches puberty, because of congenital rubella, but I haven't made up my mind on that.

If sometime down the line we decide to put her in school, we'll have to get on a catch-up schedule. There's no philosophical exemption in my state, and I'll never get away with religious because of partially vaxing. I'm reconciled to that.

We started DTaP on schedule, because I did consider pertussis a risk. (No, I don't want to debate that, thank you ladies.) We did Hib starting at 12 months.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
#6 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would be furious if my Doc did something like that! Have you considered reporting him?

I went from assuming I would follow the reg vacc schedule, to thinking I would selectively vacc, now I am just in a perpetual state of Delaying. But originally I had considered them all and discarded each for different reasons. I believe that every family has different circumstances that may not be obvious to the outsider. If you have a particular vacc you want to discuss, I could help with the "con" side of the argument. If you just want to talk to other mama's who delay, I understand that.
pumpkinsmama is offline  
#7 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 05:26 PM
 
mamakay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in la la land, or so they say...
Posts: 8,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
and I'll never get away with religious because of partially vaxing. I'm reconciled to that.
That's what I thought, too, but nope.

It's not "all or nothing" with religious exemption.
mamakay is offline  
#8 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 05:27 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to add that we have slowly been moving towards a state of perpetual delay as it is becoming more and more difficult to find single vaxes.

Also, we claim a religious exemption, and the school doesn't know Michael has any vaxes at all. If we let them know we selectively vax, I could see them trying to convince us or force us to explain our reasons, and it's none of their business.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#9 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 05:27 PM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 41,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
That's what I thought, too, but nope.

It's not "all or nothing" with religious exemption.
Could this be a "depends on the state" thing? Cause I've heard other people here say they've had trouble getting a religious exemption for selective vaccination as well.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
#10 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 05:41 PM
 
mamakay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in la la land, or so they say...
Posts: 8,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Could this be a "depends on the state" thing? Cause I've heard other people here say they've had trouble getting a religious exemption for selective vaccination as well.
Long Island is the expert on this, but I think the way it works is that you can submit a religious exemption that has nothing to do with your doctor, so you could opt for some vaccines, and it would never effect your religious exemption the school has.

I'm not entirely sure how it works....sorry...I haven't looked into it recently as I'm planning on homeschooling and still haven't found anything I'm looking to vax for right now.

Maybe someone else can clarify?
mamakay is offline  
#11 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 05:53 PM
 
Llyra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: right here
Posts: 9,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, I'm not terribly worried about exemption, as I don't plan on putting DD in school. If the day arrives that she decides to try school, we'll cross that bridge then.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Llyra is offline  
#12 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 06:14 PM
 
chersolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a DC-8 heading to Teegeeack
Posts: 7,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMaria309
yesturday the new doctor we saw gave DS four shots instead of the two I asked him to give him.
Why didn't you say anything when the Doc/Nurse/Tech pulled out the third syringe? Or the fourth?
chersolly is offline  
#13 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't they usually take the kid out of the room? I wasn't there for DS's 2mo, and he hasn't had any since, so I honestly don't know.
pumpkinsmama is offline  
#14 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 06:39 PM
 
LongIsland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 11,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Could this be a "depends on the state" thing? Cause I've heard other people here say they've had trouble getting a religious exemption for selective vaccination as well.
Yes, it depends on the language in your state laws. For example, in New York, your beliefs must be contrary to the "practice of immunizations." Therefore, it's all or nothing.
LongIsland is offline  
#15 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
MamaMaria309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Far Rockaway, NY
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherHeather
I don't selectively vax, so I can't really help you with that, but I just have to ask are you even considering going back to a doctor who gave your ds two vaccines which you asked her/him not to give?
No I am not going back. I'm currently in search of a new pediatrician.

Edited to add that I was dressing my daughter when the doctor was doing the vaccines, as he likes the children to be undressed when he is looking at them. I am never returning to that docs office again.
MamaMaria309 is offline  
#16 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 07:16 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
Don't they usually take the kid out of the room? I wasn't there for DS's 2mo, and he hasn't had any since, so I honestly don't know.
Wow- I've never heard of this practice. NO WAY I'd allow this. Wow. I didn't let dd out of my or dh's sight for months- definitely not with someone I'd just met a couple of times- medical "professional" or not. Do parents actually allow this? Why?

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#17 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 10:10 PM
 
guestmama9911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently of a mind to selectively vax. I skipped the HepB and don't intend to ever do it. I will also skip the Chicken Pox one, because it is only reportedly 70% effective if you read the pro-vax sources, and I have read that it does not provide protection against adult shingles the way actually having chicken pox will. Also, chicken pox is not that big of a deal. I wish to skip the MMR because that one is most associated with Autism due to the measles component, if I am understanding my research correctly, as Autistic children are found with measles living in their guts.

Assuming I continue my plans, I will begin at 6 months with the DTaP, and only the DTaP. I would prefer breaking those up, but I have read that it is harder to find those thimerosal free. According to Stephanie Cave's book, and she has a modified schedule in the back, single-dose vials come without thimerosal but multi-dose vials come with it. I will do all necessary additional doses before moving on to HiB, and then will do all necessary doses before moving on to polio. I will keep detailed records before, during and after, take down all lots numbers, and do what I can to keep DS' immune system as strong as possible in the meantime. And no way in HELL (can I say that here?) would I ever let a doctor leave the room with my child.
guestmama9911 is offline  
#18 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 10:21 PM
 
rdkks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry
I am currently of a mind to selectively vax. I skipped the HepB and don't intend to ever do it. I will also skip the Chicken Pox one, because it is only reportedly 70% effective if you read the pro-vax sources, and I have read that it does not provide protection against adult shingles the way actually having chicken pox will.
I am NOT at all for the chicken pox vax, but wanted to clarify something. you actually had to have had CP (or the vax I'm sure) in order to have adult shingles...it's the CP virus laying dormant in your body until a later time. Usually stress will bring it out...I'm sure there's more to it than that, BUT having had CP as a child and shingles as an adult I know that CP doesn't protect from adult shingles.
rdkks is offline  
#19 of 23 Old 01-14-2006, 10:24 PM
 
LongIsland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 11,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry
Assuming I continue my plans, I will begin at 6 months with the DTaP, and only the DTaP. I would prefer breaking those up, but I have read that it is harder to find those thimerosal free.
I wanted to make you aware that that there is no single dose diptheria and pertussis.
LongIsland is offline  
#20 of 23 Old 01-15-2006, 03:03 PM
 
guestmama9911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am NOT at all for the chicken pox vax, but wanted to clarify something. you actually had to have had CP (or the vax I'm sure) in order to have adult shingles...it's the CP virus laying dormant in your body until a later time. Usually stress will bring it out...I'm sure there's more to it than that, BUT having had CP as a child and shingles as an adult I know that CP doesn't protect from adult shingles.
I apologize - I misunderstood what I was reading. With regards to shingles, the cicken pox vax is leaving more adults susceptible to shingles. Dr. Mercola states the following on his website:

Quote:
After a bout of naturally-occuring chickenpox, the varicella zoster virus remains dormant in the body and may reactivate decades later to cause shingles, a painful rash that typically strikes chickenpox veterans after the age of 60.Marc Brisson and his team say their research shows that adults living with children have more exposure to the virus that causes chickenpox and enjoy high levels of protection against shingles. Being close to children means that adults are exposed to the virus, which acts like a booster vaccine against shingles, they believe. But if all children were vaccinated, adults who have had chickenpox would no longer be protected against developing shingles.The researchers worked out a mathematical model that predicts that eliminating chickenpox in a country the size of the United States would prevent 186 million cases of the disease and 5,000 deaths over 50 years. However they said it could also result in 21 million more cases of shingles and 5,000 deaths.
Dr Sherri Tenpenny then comments:
Quote:
As the article points out, vaccinating children with the chickenpox vaccine will cause the pool of wild virus will die out. Adults who had chickenpox as a child need to be re -- exposed to the wild virus to keep any residual dormant virus in check. It is estimated that currently as many as 2 in every 10 persons may be affected by shingles in their lifetime. Without this exposure, the number of people who will contract shingles is anticipated to increase substantially. The solution appears to be the development of another vaccine.

Not to miss an opportunity, a large study is underway for the development of the shingles vaccine. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) is currently testing a shingles vaccine in clinical trials in conjunction with the National Institutes of Health (NIH.) The Shingles Prevention Study is part of a nationwide collaborative effort between the NIAID, Department of Veterans Affairs (the VA), and Merck. It should be noted that Merck is also the manufacturer of Varivax®, the chickenpox vaccine.

This double -- blind study will test a vaccine similar to Varivax®; however, the experimental vaccine contains a larger amount of the weakened varicella virus. If a participant was given the placebo during the trial and the vaccine is later found to be "successful," the person will be offered the shingles vaccine at no charge at the conclusion of the study.[2] A nice perk for participating as a human test subject.

None of this makes sense. Wouldn't the logical solution be to STOP the chickenpox vaccination and allow this mild virus to do its job?
Again I apologize for the misinformation I provided.

LongIsland, thank you for that information. I am still a beginner when it comes to vaccines.
guestmama9911 is offline  
#21 of 23 Old 01-15-2006, 03:07 PM
 
LongIsland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 11,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry
I am still a beginner when it comes to vaccines.
No apologies are necessary . . . we all know you are genuinely seeking information in order to make informed decisions.

LongIsland is offline  
#22 of 23 Old 01-15-2006, 07:11 PM
 
54321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About Diphtheria and Pertussis as separate shots..I did not think they were available separately either..and it seems strange that in a link here I found an alternative schedule from..Donald J ******..in his "user friendly schedule" he mentions giving those 2 separately..6 months a part.
Here is my issue..
For parents who are considering an alternative schedule..it seems a shame that there aren't some more examples of what one could do..one that might have proper info. Stephanie Cave's is 1..but..
just a thought
54321 is offline  
#23 of 23 Old 01-15-2006, 07:28 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a parent wanting to make their own schedule (delayed, selective whatever) it is really pretty silly for there to be ones out there to choose from. If you're not following "what's done" then you are going to have to make your decisions based on your concerns. Both your concerns about vaxes and your concerns about diseases. Otherwise a delayed schedule is just random.

There was a good thread a couple of weeks ago started by MT that discussed this. It mentioned questions you need to ask yourself before you can decide anything like that.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off