AAP: Reducing Vaccine Liability: Strategies for Pediatricians - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
American Academy of Pediatrics
REDUCING VACCINE LIABILITY: STRATEGIES FOR PEDIATRICIANS
http://www.cispimmunize.org/pro/pdf/...eLiability.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

II. Strategies to Reduce Vaccine Liability
Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Old 01-18-2006, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Old 01-18-2006, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Address and Document Parental Refusal to Vaccinate

There are many reasons why parents refuse to vaccinate their children. Most commonly, parents are not aware or may have no memory of the seriousness of the diseases that vaccines prevent. Therefore, their concern frequently shifts from the risk of disease to the risk of vaccines.

The proliferation of an increasingly vocal anti-vaccine movement, which produces a wealth of unreliable, emotionally charged information that is easily accessible to parents has also increased concern about vaccine safety.

Another reason parents may refuse to vaccinate relates to vaccine mandates for school entry. Parents may feel that their right to make decisions for their children is taken away. An ongoing debate regarding the duty of society to protect healthy children versus the right of families to make decisions has caused efforts in more than a dozen states to rescind vaccine mandates or provide philosophical exemptions (AAP Committee on Medical Liability, 2004).

If a parent refuses a recommended vaccine and their child later develops a disease, the issue of professional liability can arise. Therefore, documentation of a parental refusal is essential. Documentation should indicate that:

o The parent was informed of why the vaccine is recommended
o The parent was informed of the risks and benefits of vaccination
o The parent was informed of the possible consequences of not vaccinating
o Patient educational materials were provided
Old 03-14-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
The AAP recommends also recording the:
o Site and route of administration
o Vaccine expiration date
o Statement indicating that the VIS was provided and discussed with the parent
My child was vaxed up through 6 months and while I got a VIS for every shot, it was NEVER discussed with me.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 03-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Yeah, they always gave me the VIS AFTER the vax, how can you discuss it after the fact???
Old 03-15-2006, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.aap.org/research/periodicsurvey/ps48b.htm

Nearly all pediatricians distribute VIS at some point during the vaccine series. However, about six out of 10 pediatricians report distributing VIS with every dose of each vaccine.

About one-fourth do so with the first dose only, about 10% sometimes distribute VIS and fewer than 6% say they never distribute the information statements.

More than half of pediatricians (about 55%) say they document the provision of VIS at every dose for each vaccine and about 11% do so at the first dose of a vaccine only. While 16% sometimes document provision of VIS, between 17% to 20% say they never do so.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:29 AM

VIS? What's a VIS? I really do know what one is, but it's not because my pediatrician ever gave me one. DD got 5 total vaccines in 2 different visits and we were never given a VIS, nor did a doctor ever discuss risks of vaccinating.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Address and Document Parental Refusal to Vaccinate

There are many reasons why parents refuse to vaccinate their children. Most commonly, parents are not aware or may have no memory of the seriousness of the diseases that vaccines prevent. Therefore, their concern frequently shifts from the risk of disease to the risk of vaccines.

The proliferation of an increasingly vocal anti-vaccine movement, which produces a wealth of unreliable, emotionally charged information that is easily accessible to parents has also increased concern about vaccine safety.

Another reason parents may refuse to vaccinate relates to vaccine mandates for school entry. Parents may feel that their right to make decisions for their children is taken away. An ongoing debate regarding the duty of society to protect healthy children versus the right of families to make decisions has caused efforts in more than a dozen states to rescind vaccine mandates or provide philosophical exemptions (AAP Committee on Medical Liability, 2004).

If a parent refuses a recommended vaccine and their child later develops a disease, the issue of professional liability can arise. Therefore, documentation of a parental refusal is essential. Documentation should indicate that:

o The parent was informed of why the vaccine is recommended
o The parent was informed of the risks and benefits of vaccination
o The parent was informed of the possible consequences of not vaccinating
o Patient educational materials were provided
Hey now WHERE ARE MY "PATIENT EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS"? They never gave me any But they sure did want me to sign their little waiver:
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Old 03-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Through 2 kids and tons of vaxes I have never received a VIS sheet ever. No talk of risks/rewards. And of course they recommended tylenol before coming in and if you hadn't given it they'd bring you a dose before the shots. B/C of this board my eyes have been opened completely to the insanity of what they are doing. I wish I had understood before. I doubt we would have vaxed at all. We are going vax-free from this point on.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The proliferation of an increasingly vocal anti-vaccine movement, which produces a wealth of unreliable, emotionally charged information that is easily accessible to parents
Pot, this is kettle calling.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla
Pot, this is kettle calling.
Darn tootin'.

User Tag List