Help! My dd received 4th dose of DTaP twice. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd received an extra injection of DTaP. The Dr's files where wrong and she was given a fifth dose of the vaccine at her 2 year well baby visit. We relized by looking at her 18 month visit receipt that she had already had this vaccine. I never dreamed a mistake like this could happen. I had just began to look into vax more. I did not think that she was due for any shots today. I did voice this to the nurse but she said she was. I was so busy asking questions about the vax that it never occurred to me that she had already had it. She seemed to have a fever later so I gave her some Tylenol. I feel sick. I feel like such an idiot. I'm suppose to protect her.
Has anyone ever heard of this happening? What adverse reactions should I be looking for? The dr said to just moniter her fever. The DTaP was the only vax she received today.

katwentz
#2 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 04:56 AM

Hmmm . . . first off, sorry that this happened but I'm not entirely sure how it could happen but I guess in this world, anything's possible.

Personally, I'd be looking to sue someone but for me, vaccinations are such an important life/death issue that if someone gave my ds an "accidental" dose of a vaccine, I'm sure they would have to jail me for some time for assault. I'd be too angry to reason with, to tell you the truth.

I don't have any recommendations for you. I guess my next step would be to detox my child. I'd never go back to that practice but I'd sure as hell be looking to sue.

I think that maybe you should have been more diligent in keeping track of what shots your dc was being given but what's done is done. All you can do is clean up and take this as a lesson. We are primarily responsible for our children and you cannot place all your trust in doctors and nurses.

I hope you child feels better soon and that everything is okay. Children are amazingly resilient.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#3 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 PM

Wow, that really stinks. It won't even count as her fifth dose. In order to comply with the CDC schedule she will still need an additional dose after age 4. I don't know what you should do but I'm sorry this happened.
#4 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 12:30 PM

Minimum interval between DTaP doses:

Dose 1 - Dose 2: 4 weeks
Dose 2 - Dose 3: 4 weeks
Dose 3 - Dose 4: 6 MONTHS
Dose 4 - Dose 5: 6 MONTHS

In what state are you? We can check your DTaP requirements and see how many doses are required for school entry.
#5 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwentz
The Dr's files where wrong and she was given a fifth dose of the vaccine at her 2 year well baby visit. We relized by looking at her 18 month visit receipt that she had already had this vaccine.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
No, but I don't doubt it happens often. It's inexcusable. :

There should be an immunization chart in your child's file - are you saying they failed to record the vaccines administered at the 18 month appointment?

I'm curious to know what the pediatrician said about this.
#6 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday
Wow, that really stinks. It won't even count as her fifth dose. In order to comply with the CDC schedule she will still need an additional dose after age 4
She will only need to comply with her state immunization requirements as far as the number of doses, which may not require a 4th or 5th dose. However, if her states does require the 5th dose . . . yes, the one adminstered at the two year appt. will not be valid.
#7 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 12:54 PM

honestly it happens all the time. If you go along with what drs. tell you then it's just part of the package. Sorry - that sounds harsh- but it's really the way things are. Have you checked all vials of vaccine she's been injected with to make sure they're correct? Have you made sure they recorded all lot numbers? Have you reported all reactions to VAERS? (including fever etc) If you're a "good patient" and do what they say, you get what you get....

hope your dd feels better soon.

-Angela
#8 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 PM

I forgot to ask if they recorded the 5th dose.
#9 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 PM

OMG you all are harsh - "they'd have to jail me for assault" ???? "If you go along with the docs this is part of the package" ????
#10 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
OMG you all are harsh - "they'd have to jail me for assault" ???? "If you go along with the docs this is part of the package" ????
I don't thing they're being overly harsh. Non vaxer's just feel *very* strongly about things like this. This "mistake" is inexusable to me.
#11 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
She will only need to comply with her state immunization requirements as far as the number of doses, which may not require a 4th or 5th dose. However, if her states does require the 5th dose . . . yes, the one adminstered at the two year appt. will not be valid.
I was mainly thinking of my own state, which requires at least one dose after age 4 no matter how many previous doses there have been.
#12 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezie
I don't thing they're being overly harsh. Non vaxer's just feel *very* strongly about things like this. This "mistake" is inexusable to me.
Yeah well mama-blaming and grandiose suggestions of what you *would* do (assault the doc???) are not the most constructive ways to respond IMO.
#13 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday
I was mainly thinking of my own state, which requires at least one dose after age 4 no matter how many previous doses there have been.

Some states require 5 doses, but if the 4th dose is after the fourth birthday, then the 5th dose is not required. My state only requires 3 doses and no 4th birthday provision.

Scary, huh?
#14 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
???? "If you go along with the docs this is part of the package" ????
I think it's honest. I had dental work while I was pregnant and discussed anesthetic extensively with the dentist. She recommended against novocaine as it is very stimulating, apparently, but said she had an alternative that didn't work for everyone but wouldn't affect the baby the way novocaine might. We tried it and it worked great. I came back a week later for the next set of fillings, still very visibly pregnant, and we discussed how the pregnancy was going, and I didn't think twice about what was in the needles she injected in my gums. About five minutes later poor DS was going NUTS in my belly. He honestly felt like he was having a damn seizure, just thrashing around like nothing I've experienced before or sense. I told the dentist and she was like, "Oh...oops...we gave you novocaine...oh well he'll be fine." : Nothing gets injected into me or my child since then without me LOOKING at it and knowing exactly what it is and why it's being given and how much the recommended dosage is. I do NOT trust doctors or nurses to not make mistakes.
#15 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I do NOT trust doctors or nurses to not make mistakes
I don't think this is harsh at all. Dr's and nurses are human and human beings make mistakes. And lets be honest...they may want to help or do whats best for you and your child but they don't have as much riding on it as you do and you don't know the backstory (have they been working 12 hour shifts with overtime for the past five days?). Its a hassle and sometimes you are made to feel like an idiot for it but I think its our job to monitor what the the Dr is doing.

Not that I blame the mama in the original post for what happened ...its just a lesson learned the hard way that you have to watch for yourself because the person who is supposed to be paying attention may not be.

As for what can be done now...do you have a homeopath near by? There are a lot of homeopathics that can be helpful in minimizing side effects after vaccination.

Casey
#16 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Well instead of dropping by just to put us down, you could give some better suggestions of your own.

Quote:
To the op: this sucks but there isn't anything that you can do legally (sueing doesn't work over something like this unless there is a bad reaction). What I don't fully understand (and I don't mean to sound snarky) is that your child was fully vaxed up to this point right? So why is this one bothering you so bad? Were you planning to stop vaxing until you do more research? Or is it just the principal of the thing that bothers you (them making a mistake). Because if it's that, you are going to have to be a LOT more careful from now on at the doctors. If you snoop around this board enough you will see that it happens to a lot of moms. It happened to me and I say no to all vaxes (they snuck a Hib shot into her). Sorry that you are going through this, stick around these boards and keep reading. There is a lot to learn.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#17 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 02:07 PM

Also, not to make you feel worse. But Tylenol is not a good thing to give a child after vaxes. It can actually be a very dangerous thing to do. There is info about it all over these boards. You can do a search and find all sorts of info on it. I hope your little one feels better.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#18 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can't undo what's been done, but what you need to do now is take care of your child who may be reacting to this unneccessary vaccine.

I would not give her any tylenol or ibuprofin- all that does is suppress fever, and fever is her little body's way of "cleaning up" from the toxins and germs. Offer her plenty of liquids, nurse her on demand if she's still nursing, and dont' worry if she doesn't have much appetite for anything else. She needs lots of snuggles too!

The only "medicine" I would give her is vitamin C and possibly homeopathic remedies (but I have no clue what remedies are appropriate for this.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#19 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 02:35 PM

I didn't have time to read all the responses but I do have one question: When 4 shots didn't concern you, why does a 5th one bother you so much?

Most kids have enough antibodies after the 1st vaccine. The rest are given 'just in case'. So 4 or 5 is not that much different.

I hope your child feel better soon. Don't give any more Tylenol or any other drug. It will only make things worse.

Stick around and do some research before you inject any more things into a child's body.
#20 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:00 PM

Hi and welcome to MDC! i notice that this is your first post here. i don't know if you are aware that many posters here do not vaccinate on schedule and so the responses you get might be a shock! or maybe you have been here before and have researched vaccines. if so, good for you

anyway, i can TOTALLY understand why it would bother you! my son was vaccinated pretty closely to the recommended schedule and i AGONIZE about every other shot that he might get. every single one is a tough decision for me. there is no way as i see it as "just one more." and just because it didnt bother you before, doesn't mean it can't now. i mean people are allowed to change their mind, no? that is absolutely unacceptable that they gave an unneeded shot. there is a reason why they are spaced apart and it would make me very nervous if my son got an extra shot of something. i don't know why people are surprised by that?

anyway, that almost happened to us. i keep my own shot record and i always have the nurses update it. i take it with us everywhere we move as well as a copy of the drs records. well, wouldn't you know, the shot record i was carrying did not match the drs records. my record said he was missing a booster that he had actually had. i am sooo glad i double checked it and always discuss with the dr what shots my son is getting before he gets them. okay everyone here will be surprised, but most people (such as some of my friends!) have no idea what shots their kids are getting or when. i admit when my son was first born, i was very overwhelmed with all the shots that are on the schedule. even now i feel overwhelmed by the subject of vaccines. i imagine this happens more than people think

good luck to you. yes lots of nursing. i called the ped office to complain and they didn't seem to care that i was upset. ???
#21 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 PM

As others have said, it's not really a big deal to get 5 instead of 4 doses. She may experience the some of the side effects like fever, irritability, redness and swelling at the site of injection, etc. even if she did not have those after other doses.
As Gitti said, the number of doses given is a compromise between cost/side effects/effectiveness. Some states choose to require more boosters - they are trying to get those last few kids that didn't get immune from 1, 2, or 3 shots.

In the future, you can keep a record of the lot numbers of each vaccine. Although the doctor's office (By LAW) is required to keep a record of the lot #'s, many parents have decided to keep a personal copy as well, just in case the other is lost or damaged. If you choose to give her future vaccinations, just as for the lot numbers and types before you allow the shot. Having the numbers is good, and it will allow you to keep better track of what they are planning to give.

Doctor's offices can be hard places to be the strong mama that you are everywhere else.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#22 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

There is a homeopathic dr nearby that I will contact. We are still nursing and whenever she wants. I will give her some vitamin C. Dd's ped uses only mercury free vacs. This ped was chosen because she is very pro breastfeeding. She is pro co-sleeping. She believes in vaxing but doesn't agree with the CDC schedule. Somehow the info from her 18 month visit was incorrect in the computer. I know that this mistake could have been prevented by me. Of all things that I was worried about regarding vax this was not one of them. I have learned my lesson the hard way. Something like this will never happen to us again!!! DD and any future children will not receive any vax until I do much more research. I will be showing up to all dr appts with my own file on hand.
Someone asked where we live. We live in GA. If all goes as planned we will be homeschooling. So I'm not worried about school admission vax rules.
Thanks for your help!

katzell
#23 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 PM

Hugs to you, katwentz. I stopped vaxing DS at 12 months (now 20 months). I had lost his vax record, so I went back to the health department and had them print me up another one last week. Was I ever P***ed to see that he had recieved an extra dose of hep B!!! It is included in the combo shot (Pediarix?) they use. I bet this does happen a lot. I regret not informing myself more about vaxes before DS was born, but there is nothing I can do about it now except keep him away from doctors.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#24 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Dd's ped uses only mercury free vacs.
I am new to the anti-vax camp, but I think there are more toxins in vaxes than just mercury. There is aluminum (a heavy metal just like mercury, a neurotoxin) and formaldehyde (obviously very toxic). Some vaxes may even contain materials taken from aborted babies. There is a lot to look into, and I have a feeling you are about to be as overwhelmed as I was a few months ago. (((HUGS)))

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#25 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am just begining to learn about all of this. It is overwhelming. Thank you for the info.
#26 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwentz
Dd's ped uses only mercury free vacs.
Just FYI it is unlikely that the vaxes were actually mercury free. When tested "mercury free" vaxes were found to actually contain a rather high level of mercury.

-Angela
#27 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I did not know that. Can you recomend an info source on the not really mercury free subject?
#28 of 28 Old 01-20-2006, 04:37 PM

Katwentz,
How is your daughter now? I do hope she is doing better. Even if she has a fever, I would let it go.

In an unvaccinated child we usually say a fever up to 105 or even 106F should be left alone, but I don't know really how to deal with a vaccine induced fever. Although I can't see any reason not to let her fight off some of the bacteria injected into her.

I know all too well how overwhelming this subject can be. I was in your situation about 5 years ago. We researched far too long to come to the best decision. Because at first we looked for mercury free shots, one at a time...

Let me tell you what I and several other moms have come to believe is the best way to start researching. You start with the diseases they 'claim' to be able to prevent in your child. How dangerous are they really? Did your parents and grandparents have the vaccine to prevent them? Did you have those shots?

And in my opinion the next thing to consider is does it all make sense?

If a vaccine is given, and antibodies are created in the child, can those antibodies which are a result to an attenuated (a) virus protect your child from the wild virus? And how would the second (booster) vaccine perform if the child now has antibodies? Wouldn't those antibodies destroy the viruses in the second (third etc.) vaccine. Especially since the boosters contain exactly the same ingredients as the original vaccine?

The next question is, why would we want to inject sickness which we are trying to avoid into our child's body?
Vaccination introduces live/attenuated/dead virus along with RNA and DNA from diseased animal tissue plus heavy metals into the lymphatic system which then goes into the blood. The blood is the one place the body protects from disease when any pathogen enters it naturally. The germs go through all sort of filters in the body before entering the blood. The blood is the last place we would want filth and disease.

(All this started making sense to me after a few good books.)

And the next step is to concentrate on health and strength. It is a well-established fact that the surest and safest defenses of the body against germs and diseases are normal blood and digestive juices. A healthy body is self-immune. There is nothing as reliable as an unaltered immune system.

I hope you stay with us and again I do hope your dd is much better by now.

BTW to MDC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page