Croup vs Pertussis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-01-2006, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are the symptoms of croup differant then pertussis?. I've done a lot of reading on pertussis but not much on croup. But what I did read about croup sound a lot like pertussis. Does the cough sound distantly differant?

I'm just curious because my nephew went to the ER and was dx with croup.

-Dawn
#2 of 13 Old 02-01-2006, 11:27 PM

Not much help from me right now.

I am just wondering, did they ask whether he was pertussis vaccinated?

Was he pertussis vaccinated?

Did they do a lab test for pertussis? (I don't know how they test, but there's got to be something...)
#3 of 13 Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 PM

croup vs. pertussis vs. RSV?

I thought DS had RSV since another kid in his daycare had it, but the doc said it was croup. We never actually got the RSV test, but now I'm thinking it still could be RSV since now 4 kids at his daycare have been diagnosed with RSV. The only way to tell would be to do the laboratory tests for each disease.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#4 of 13 Old 02-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Croup sounds like a seal bark. I'm sure that you've heard that already. But it's very true. It's a one of a kind cough that you usually can't miss. Pertussis can sound like that too but it's often cough, cough, cough, turn blue, and then the big gasp for air that is usually the "whoop". There are some differences in symptoms as well. I don't feel like I'm helping much. Unless the symptoms were mild, I'm sure that you or any doctor could easily tell the difference. I know nothing about rsv.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#5 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 AM

my ds had croup earlier this year, and he definitely sounded like a seal. I wasn't familiar with croup and when I took him into the doc the first thing out of my mouth was that he had a weird cough that sounded like a seal, lol.
#6 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I think my nephew has been vax for pertussis. He is like 17 mo and probably not exactly on schedual but getting them. I doubt he has pertussis. Aparently last night out of no where he started coughing really bad. They thought he was choking on something or had swollowed something. He had no other symptoms and no fever. The ER did x-rays and nothing was in there. By the time he left he had a 99.? temp (but he was very upset from the x-rays) and they dx it as croup. I'm not sure how he is doing today. It sounds like it really scared my MIL and SIL because the cough cam on so suddenly with no other symptoms.

I was just curious about croup/WC because the symptoms sound so similiar. I often hear of children having croup and wonder if some of the cases are actually mild WC.
#7 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 AM

Qualia had croup in December. She was a little cranky one day, and that night she woke up coughing like a seal -- bark, bark, bark. She also spiked a fever and her nose got really stuffed up, which made nursing difficult. The second and third nights were the worst in terms of coughing keeping her (and us) awake, and we did a lot of steamy showers, ran the humidifier, encouraged her to nurse and drink as much as possible, etc. The fourth night was better and the fifth was the last of it. That's a classic croup arc: five days of illness, with a peak on the third. She had a junky cough for a little while after that, but was for all intents and purposes better.
#8 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 AM

Wc starts with cold symptoms, then a cough starts, then it gets bad. Croup can start after cold symptoms. But it doesn't have to. My dd went to bed fine one night, then woke up coughing, choking, turning purple, and couldn't breath at 5 am. We were so scared (she was 6 months old). She did get high fevers from it but they didn't start until day 2 or so. I know it's not great, but pedialyte was her friend while she had it. It made her feel tons better and perk up some. Going outside helps, cold air, car rides. Sounds like the croup to me. Poor baby, it makes them so miserable.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#9 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 12:40 AM

yup, what everyone else said My son has had croup and currently has pertussis. The croup he has had a couple of times, and it really does sound a lot like a seal barking. He would cough throughout the day and seemed sick, like he had a cold. Kids over 3 or 4 don't get croup really because their airways are bigger and it's hard to get that croupy sound, even if they have the virus/ viruses that cause it.

Pertussis he seems fine, and then every hour or two he starts coughing loud and hard and repeatedly, and then he sucks air in as fast as he can and you hear the "whoop!" sound. And then he's fine for another hour or two, no cold symptoms, no fever, eats normal, etc.
#10 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungold17
How are the symptoms of croup differant then pertussis?. I've done a lot of reading on pertussis but not much on croup. But what I did read about croup sound a lot like pertussis. Does the cough sound distantly differant?

I'm just curious because my nephew went to the ER and was dx with croup.

-Dawn
The inability for ER to diagnose any cough with any degree of reliability is a standing joke in this country.

They are very different, and easy to differentiate.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#11 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
#12 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 11:48 AM

Just because he had the pertussis vaccine means NOTHING. He can still get it but if they know he's had it they won't diagnose him with whooping cough.

In a pertussis epidemic most often over 85% of the kids are fully vaccinated.

The way you described the cough, suddenly and as though we were choking, sounds like maybe pertussis to me. Listen to see if there is a whoooo sound when he inhales again.

I remember my cousins having it. They were fine until a sudden coughing spell came on. Then they would run outside for fresh air and cough, cough, cough and then spit up a little liquid. Then they were fine again, came inside and played as though nothing were bothering them.

I would give him some Sodium Ascorbat Powder (pure, filler free..) right now. You can get it in your health food store. Here is the dose I use for my grandchildren: 375 mg / per kg body weight or until they have one lose stool. Then I cut it back but just a little bit. I put it into some diluted juice and let the child sip it all day long.

It can't hurt.
#13 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

I believe WC lasts a lot longer (?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page