help please! im freaking out! urgent!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, i need some advise pleaase!! my son is 6 years old and he is in kindergarden, we live in Mexico, im mexican.
So when he was a baby he recieved 3 doses of polio vax at 2, 4 and 6 motns, (as well as dtap and dt hepatitis b and hib) then i started reading and decided not give him anything else, so thats what hes had. hes very healthy, bf and self weaned at 5yrs, (in case that matters) so tomorrow, here at his school they are going to give all the kiddos, another dose of polio vax, must certanly the oral polio, (this is common in mexican schools, the gov going to schools and vaccinating kids) so today i was asked if i wanted them to give the vax to my son and said no, but now, what happens??
he is going to be among a population of polio vaccinated kids
how dangerous is this??
i dont want to tell the school about him not being fully vaxed because according to schools he has to be and not vaxx its mostly unheard of here... when he went in this school i gave them the vax card i have (a copy) and they didnt say anything about it being "incomplete" ( maybe they got mixed up because its a vax card from the usa..i dont knooow) the fact is they didnt say anything, so i dont want to (unless i HAVE To, of course) to proclamate his not fully vax status....
can someone tell me their opinions??
i think for starters i wont bring him tomorrow, when the vax will be given,
but if he went, will he be at risk if the vax is given there and hes around??
please help im freaking out!!
what are your thoughts??
THANKSS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 03:19 AM

I think it's smart not to send him to school tomorrow. Schools are bad about mixing things up when there's one kid different than the rest. Other than that honestly I wouldn't really worry. I'd talk to him about how it's important to wash his hands and make sure he does several times a day, but beyond that he should be fine. Polio is spread through fecal/oral contact so as long as he isn't playing with poop or drinking contaminated water he should be okay.

-Angela
#3 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 03:27 AM

Does anybody know how long the vaccinated kids will be shedding the virus?

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#4 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 03:32 AM

There are mamas on this board much more knowledgeable than I, but here's a little information I found:

Quote:
Oral polio vaccine (OPV), one of the vaccines instrumental in driving the disease to near-eradication, contains weakened live virus strains. The vaccine is highly effective, easy to administer, relatively inexpensive, and has been used for more than 40 years. Those given the vaccine excrete, or "shed," virus in their stool. There is some concern over the use of OPV, however, because vaccine-derived poliovirus (VDPV) can occasionally cause another form of polio.
Quote:
Since 1961, when OPV first became available, 316 people in the United States have contracted the paralytic form of the disease from the vaccine, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Some of those cases include vaccinated children who contracted the disease. Others are ``contact'' polio cases -- usually other kids, relatives or caretakers who contracted it from children taking the oral vaccine dose, and then passing on the disease unintentionally by ``shedding'' the live virus through their feces or body fluids.
So, maybe making sure he keeps his hands washed would be helpful? Otherwise I'm not entirely sure how common the passing of the sheeded virus is ...

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#5 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpyr
Does anybody know how long the vaccinated kids will be shedding the virus?
I thought I just read on one of the websites I was skimming that they can shed it for up to 6 weeks ...

Quote:
How long is oral polio vaccine virus shed in the stool after the dose?

Up to 6 weeks. Viral shedding in the stool is generally longest following the first dose and is generally shorter with each
subsequent dose.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#6 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

thank you mmamas, im reading im reading!
keep it coming please!
you are so kind, so helpful, LO MAXIMO! as we say in mexico,
thanks!
#7 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 10:21 AM

Do NOT send him to school today. Simply because they will give him the OPV and you don't want that. Other than that he should be ok.
#8 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 10:47 AM

Wow, I didn't know they still did the live vax...is that what you are talking about or did I misunderstand?

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#9 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabobbin
Wow, I didn't know they still did the live vax...is that what you are talking about or did I misunderstand?
Not in the US nor Europe but several other countries use OPV, yes, especially Africa and that is why we see polio there.
#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

okidoki mamas thanks!
#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 02:08 PM

I agree- I wouldn't go the day they are vaxing.
But, if it were me, I would be comfortable sending him after that. With 3 doses, he is, according to the cdc and the vax manufacturers, immune to polio. So I'd be comfortable in the fact that he protected from vapp too.

Here are some links, if you're interested.
(did he get opv, or ipv?)
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr4905a1.htm
Quote:
Data from subsequent studies have confirmed that 90%--100% of children develop protective antibodies to all three types of poliovirus after administration of two doses of the currently available IPV, and 99%--100% develop protective antibodies after three doses (53--55).
(it also says this though)
Quote:
Results of studies showing long-term antibody persistence after three doses of enhanced-potency IPV are not yet available in the United States. However, data from one study indicated that antibody persisted throughout a 4-year follow-up period (56).
About opv
Quote:
After complete primary vaccination with three doses of OPV, >95% of recipients develop long-lasting (probably lifelong) immunity to all three poliovirus types.
I hope that helps put your mind at ease

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#12 of 12 Old 02-17-2006, 07:26 PM

At six years old it is very unlikely that he will be exposed to other children's fecal material. But the risk of contracting polio from the oral vaccine would keep our son home.

Pat

I have a blog.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page