NEW UPDATE: Jumps to NE and possibly IL & MN (Mumps cases in Iowa) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 04-02-2006, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mumps is very deadly you know. Much more deadly than the bird flu The world is doomed

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#32 of 38 Old 04-02-2006, 05:56 PM

i'm all ok reading about the different complications and all until i get to meningitis.

my kid had it before. it was awful.

is he more susceptible to this side effect from mumps, because of his history?
#33 of 38 Old 04-02-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
i'm all ok reading about the different complications and all until i get to meningitis.
It probably doesn't happen very often, eh? I didn't find how common it happens. Has anyone else?

Quote:
is he more susceptible to this side effect from mumps, because of his history
humm. I don't know. I want to say no, but I really don't know. I read a bit on this site: http://www.meningitis.org/ Lots of information- there are many types of meningitis. maybe a good search on that site will answer you question.

Quote:
Meningitis is usually bacterial or viral, and occasionally is due to fungal infections, although almost any microbe can cause it.

Viral meningitis can be very unpleasant but it is almost never life threatening and most people quickly make a full recovery.

Bacterial meningitis is more serious and can be caused by a range of different bacteria, although most cases in the UK and Ireland are caused by meningococcal bacteria.
Now I'm curious what type of men. people will mumps can get as a complication.
#34 of 38 Old 04-02-2006, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungold17
Now I'm curious what type of men. people will mumps can get as a complication.

It would be viral meningitis.

Just an FYI: a person can also contract "mumps meningitis" as a result of MMR vaccination. In the 90's Japan actually withdrew the MMR for a while because of the high incidence of meninigitis cases resulting from the vax.
#35 of 38 Old 04-02-2006, 10:07 PM

are you sure it would be viral? viral meningitis is much less scary than what we went through...i would rest easier knowing for sure that it was viral meningitis as the potential complication for mumps.

i know mumps are caused by a virus, but i don't assume that the meningitis would be viral, mostly because i have never really researched mumps.

( LI, I hope you aren't irritated by my asking for verification. I just would like to be sure.)
#36 of 38 Old 04-02-2006, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi21
are you sure it would be viral? viral meningitis is much less scary than what we went through...i would rest easier knowing for sure that it was viral meningitis as the potential complication for mumps.

i know mumps are caused by a virus, but i don't assume that the meningitis would be viral, mostly because i have never really researched mumps.

( LI, I hope you aren't irritated by my asking for verification. I just would like to be sure.)

Irritated? Of course not! Actually, I'm glad you asked for verification. It gives me an excuse to post the CDC Pink Book page on mumps

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/pink/mumps.pdf

Pathogenesis
The virus is acquired by respiratory droplets. It replicates in the nasopharynx and regional lymph nodes. After 12–25 days a viremia occurs, which lasts from 3 to 5 days. During the viremia, the virus spreads to multiple tissues, including the meninges, and glands such as the salivary, pancreas, testes, and ovaries. Inflammation in infected tissues leads to characteristic symptoms of parotitis and aseptic meningitis.

Aseptic meningitis is viral meningitis.
Parotitis is mumps.
#37 of 38 Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM

thank you!
#38 of 38 Old 04-03-2006, 01:01 AM

sounds like the latest scare tactic to drum up business for the establishment. It's too bad that it's at the expence of our nations children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page