"Surprising" Chicken Pox Outbreak ("new mutation of the virus") - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.troymessenger.com/article...newsssss01.txt
Troy Messenger, AL

February 27, 2006

Chicken pox outbreak
By Matt Clower, The Messenger

Troy Elementary School nurse Sarah Black should probably go ahead and get a
revolving door for her office. It would help with all the traffic coming in
and out these days.

TES is the midsts of the worst outbreak of chicken pox the school has faced
in eight years - an outbreak made more surprising because most all the affected students have previously received chicken pox vaccinations.

Black said she could hardly believe it when the first students started showing up in her office with the characteristic red, itchy spots. "I was in denial at first, I said this can't possibly be chicken pox," Black said.

Oh, but was it ever chicken pox, and it has spread like wildfire. Since the first student was diagnosed in late January, over 40 students in every grade have come down with it.

This recent outbreak appears to be a new mutation of the virus, Black said, and the Alabama Department of Public Health is calling it a second generation breakthrough.

TES teacher Gloria Blackmon's son Hunter is thought to be the first case in the outbreak. She said even the doctors office was hesitant at first to believe Hunter could have chicken pox after he'd received the vaccination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 02:23 PM

Yeah that's a real surprise
Nature abhors a vacuum.
A niche vacated is a niche welcome to another form.
#3 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So does this mean that they're going to admit defeat (the varicella vax doesn't work anyway) or are they going to start requiring "booster shots" of varicella?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
So does this mean that they're going to admit defeat (the varicella vax doesn't work anyway) or are they going to start requiring "booster shots" of varicella?
The latter.
And with the reduction of the wild virus, it'll probably be a life long process.
Convenient, huh?
What a serendepity.
#5 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
but if the virus is mutating, seems to me the booster shots won't do squat unless they develop several variations of the shot -- sort of how the flu vaccine never seems to hit the target because it's a big guessing game

sometimes when I read the threads and links here, I feel a bit like the driver on the highway who can't keep from slowing down to stare at the accident -- I am compelled to keep learning and reading but what I find makes me sad...

eta: don't get me wrong, I don't think the vax will work whether they get the strain right or not -- I just think a mutating virus compounds the vax efficacy problem
#6 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz
but if the virus is mutating, seems to me the booster shots won't do squat unless they develop several variations of the shot -- sort of how the flu vaccine never seems to hit the target because it's a big guessing game

sometimes when I read the threads and links here, I feel a bit like the driver on the highway who can't keep from slowing down to stare at the accident -- I am compelled to keep learning and reading but what I find makes me sad...

eta: don't get me wrong, I don't think the vax will work whether they get the strain right or not -- I just think a mutating virus compounds the vax efficacy problem
It's not mutating, though. That nurse was just trying to come up with a reasonable explaination about why a "99% effective" vax would fail so miserably.
#7 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
It's not mutating, though. That nurse was just trying to come up with a reasonable explaination about why a "99% effective" vax would fail so miserably.
I didn't even catch that the first time - the NURSE said it was a mutation? Because, yeah, she's qualified to make that assumption :

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#8 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 04:09 PM

I'm sure the nurse knows as much about viruses as I do about cars. Just the common things, not the complex ones, such as how a virus mutates, if it infact did, did the vaccine fail? She had it drilled into her brain in school that viruses work, so I doubt she'd go back on that now.
#9 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
you're right -- I breezed right over the fact that the nurse attributed the outbreak to a new strain -- yikes! even an educated MDC mama like me can get duped
#10 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy
I didn't even catch that the first time - the NURSE said it was a mutation? Because, yeah, she's qualified to make that assumption :
Well, you know ... she does have the almighty Dept of Health backing her up, after all.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#11 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Ah yes, because school nurses are qualified to say when a virus has become a "new mutation".
#12 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
TES teacher Gloria Blackmon's son Hunter is thought to be the first case in the outbreak. She said even the doctors office was hesitant at first to believe Hunter could have chicken pox after he'd received the vaccination.
I can't believe they couldn't dig up even one unvaxed kid to blame the whole thing on!
#13 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I can't believe they couldn't dig up even one unvaxed kid to blame the whole thing on!
I thought the same thing, must be I have now spent enough time at this forum to be a true cynic .

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#14 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
She said even the doctors office was hesitant at first to believe Hunter could have chicken pox after he'd received the vaccination.
: :

Thats scary to read that Dr think the vaccines work 100%. I mean it doesn't take much reading to see they aren't 100%.
#15 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 07:50 PM

I thought the chicken pox vaccine was the "least" effective. I'm sure I read that somewhere on the CDC site or some other "industry" website.

But, too, I got chicken pox in 1998. And my son got it this year, 2006. And, before 1998, the last time I was hearing about a huge bunch of people getting it was 1990 or 1992. Can't quite remember. This is totally anecdotal and based on my poor memory, but I do remember being told when I had it that it goes in 6 to 8 year cycles. In otherwords, there being a breakout of it this year doesn't surprise me.

Personally, I'm thrilled that my son got it and now he's had it.
#16 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
But if the peds know the vax is 99% effective, then how would they be "admitting defeat" by admitting a vaxed kid got the bug?

This is like saying "Oh, you can't possibly be pg. You've been taking the pill."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#17 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
But if the peds know the vax is 99% effective, then how would they be "admitting defeat" by admitting a vaxed kid got the bug?

This is like saying "Oh, you can't possibly be pg. You've been taking the pill."

The first thing I thought when I opened this was, "Oh man, they are going to claim that CP has mutated!" It's very telling that the doctors don't even believe it ... I'm sure that is the case with most vpd's that vax'd kids come down with - rubella, measles, mumps ... suddenly we have to have mutated viruses and such because it's incomprehensible that a vax'd person could possibly come down with x, y, or z.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page