***UPDATE***It looks like I *might* have cancer - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My aunt and cousin and cousin's ds just had thermography for different reasons with good results (can't remember the details, but they were very grateful for all the information they gathered from this).

I, too, am without advice, but support you in your instincts. I think if I were in your shoes, having supported someone through Stage 4 breast cancer in the last 2 years (she's in remission), I would want to know what stage it's at as I think that would influence some of my decisions. Also, if it has metasticized, I'd want to know where so I can concentrate healing on that area/organ. I would also want to know what type of cancer it is (the protein) as this could influence any decisions to at least consider pharmaceuticals.

I also wanted to say that I support your decision especially because this friend who is in remission now believes that her cancer was caused by exposure to radiation when she had Hodkins as a teenager and they found a large tumor in her chest. That, and an incredibly negligent (IMO) doctor who told her the lump in her breast had something to do with weaning.

Good luck to you. I hope it's nothing at all.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 04:37 AM

You're in my thoughts, Amy.

Also, I wanted to add that breastfeeding can make your breasts lumpier. My friend who is a midwife and health food store owner talked to our mothers' group about that once. Someone who is not very well trained in reading ultrasounds/mammograms may not accurately diagnose lumps while the mother is breastfeeding. My friend doesn't recommend mammograms at all, but instead recommends ultrasounds and thermography.

I am hoping it is nothing but lumpy tissue.
#33 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSG
this friend who is in remission now believes that her cancer was caused by exposure to radiation when she had Hodkins as a teenager and they found a large tumor in her chest. That, and an incredibly negligent (IMO) doctor who told her the lump in her breast had something to do with weaning.
Not to mention when they do this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ma.../hnorris06.xml

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#34 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 11:56 AM

I do not wish to downplay this by any means....

Do you use anti-perspirant ?

I did. I had a huge lump. The doctor said "because of your family history we'll have to get in there to see."
I hesitated.
I quit using antiperspirant on the advice of a chiropractor and the lump visibly shrunk within two days.

Now if I fall back on antiperspirant , I get sore breasts and hard lumps. Again , within two days of stopping..it goes away.

Thought I'd share.
#35 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
I do not wish to downplay this by any means....

Do you use anti-perspirant ?

I did. I had a huge lump. The doctor said "because of your family history we'll have to get in there to see."
I hesitated.
I quit using antiperspirant on the advice of a chiropractor and the lump visibly shrunk within two days.

Now if I fall back on antiperspirant , I get sore breasts and hard lumps. Again , within two days of stopping..it goes away.

Thought I'd share.
It's so good you brought this up!
Years ago I used to use anti-perspirant and I had a strange dull pain in the arm starting around the armpit. I gave up the stuff and never got that pain again. Now I am almost sure there is a connection between the pain (inflamed lymph tract maybe?) and the anti-perspirant. I'm so very glad I gave it up on time!
#36 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 02:49 PM

As a breast cancer survivor, I would advise you to find yourself an excellent surgeon who specializes in breast surgery. My state has a web site which tells the number of breast surgeries done per surgeon each year. Perhaps there is something similar for NH/VT.

I desparately wanted to not do conventional treatment. I have very good access to the medical literature and did a great deal of research on alternative treatments. It only convinced me that there are, alas, no well tested alternative treatments. Personally, I would do anything that enables me to be around to see my kids grow into adulthood. I found the website www.breastcancer.org to be very helpful.

Best of luck and I hope this is nothing serious. But you are smart to get it checked out.
#37 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom
As a breast cancer survivor, I would advise you to find yourself an excellent surgeon who specializes in breast surgery. My state has a web site which tells the number of breast surgeries done per surgeon each year. Perhaps there is something similar for NH/VT.

I desparately wanted to not do conventional treatment. I have very good access to the medical literature and did a great deal of research on alternative treatments. It only convinced me that there are, alas, no well tested alternative treatments. Personally, I would do anything that enables me to be around to see my kids grow into adulthood. I found the website www.breastcancer.org to be very helpful.

Best of luck and I hope this is nothing serious. But you are smart to get it checked out.

Can you share the link? TIA...

Viper's first wife passed away from IBC, and we are on a crusade to increase awareness that it DOES happen to women under 40.... far too often, and that doctors who say that it doesn't should be dropped like hot irons...
#38 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Oh Amy!!!

I would feel the same way you do. How horrible to be in this position.

I've just started investigating alternative cancer treatments myself for my Mom, she's been dx'd with Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia. It's a form of lymphoma but a more chronic condition, it's likely that she will die 20 years later with it, rather than from it. So in this case, it's quite a bit different to try alternative therapies, rather than b.c. I don't know what I'd do in your case.

My favorite book regarding enzyme therapy by Karen DeFelice www.enzymestuff.com says there is a long history of using enzymes for cancer treatment.

Quote:
Dr. John Beard The Enzyme Treatment of Cancer and Its Scientific Basis (1911) considered the fundamental cornerstone of all enzyme therapy practiced today for cancer. Cancer growth was inhibited by using enzymes.

Dr. Max Wolf treated 50,000 patients with various enzyme combinations over 25 years.

Cancer cells are more susceptible to proteases than regular cells.... [they] are covered by a protein film that proteases break down. This leaves the cancer cells open to the body's natural defenses, chemotherapy or other measures.

Enzymes also stimulate the body's natural cancer fighting weapons. They help disarm the cancer cells.

Next, enzymes can break down the "sticky glue" substance that cancer cells use to stick themselves onto other cells and tissue. This retards their spread and growth (Desser 1990; Gonzalez 1999).

Should someone need surgery, radiation or chemotherapy, enzymes can reduce the side-effects that usually accompany these treatments. Enzymes help reduce inflammation and pain experienced, and speed up the healing process. (Ottokar 1980, Wrba 1990).

Enzyme therapy is effective on many types of cancers including those of the skin, digestive system, connective tissues, breast, lymphoma, leukemia, and others (Gerard 1972, Desser, Rehberger and Paukovits 1994, Lauer et al 2001; Leipner and Saller 2000; Neiper 1974, Taussig, Szekerczes and Batkin 1985).
In particular research done on the A2M alpha 2 macroglobulin shows how protease enzymes join together with this immune system molecule to enhance immune system's function. It "shuttles the beneficial protease to any part in the body that requires it for healing work, similar to an ambulance whisking medical personnel to the site of injury where they are needed."

And the A2M + protease, "mops up various compounds shown to be hazardous to health and disposes of them appropriately."

Protecting Yourself from Cancer with Food:
http://www.westonaprice.org/brochures/CancerTrifold.pdf
#39 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 05:24 PM

The web site I was referring to is http://www.healthcarechoices.org/surgvol.htm

Amy, my BIL works at DH med school. I've emailed him to see if he can ask around and get you some names.
#40 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM

Little more info http://www.thecureforheartdisease.co...CancerCure.htm
#41 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 06:09 PM

Amy, I pm'd you with some names. I hope this helps.
#42 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Bia

Healing prayers to you.
I completely agree with your aversion to radiation and chemo, and I highly recommend the book When Healing Becomes a Crime: The Amazing Story of the Hoxsey Cancer Clinics and the Return of Alternative Therapies by Kenny Ausubel. Also, (although this book has a bad rap, mainly due to false press releases) Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About by Kevin Trudeau. If you go to his website, naturalcures.com, you may be able to find alternative practitioners in your area, or someone to email for referrals.
#43 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 06:57 PM

Hi Amy~ I want to join this circle of strong women in sending you, one of the strongest women I know , energy and prayers to help you through this.

You are like a sister to me and I love you so much! Know that you have many communities of people thinking of you, ready to help and you are never alone.

You have helped so many women, with your knowledge, insight, willingness to help (spread chicken pox ) and always your humor

Anything you need at any time-- I'm here for you
#44 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 11:09 PM

Amy,
My dad couldn't recall the name of my mom's physician at D/H. I just checked out their website and searched the directory of providers, and couldn't find a familiar name. (I'm so sorry I am not much help). I did find the list of "comprehensive breast care providers", or something similar to that, with links to each of the physicians, you might want to check that out?
Hoping you're feeling well and strong!
#45 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so sorry you are going through this.
I heard this dr interviewed on the radio. She is a real MD. She is against chemo and all that....just another opinion http://www.drday.com/ Her name is Lorraine Day. I think she was a surgeon.
#46 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Lorraine Day was an orthorpedic surgeon - a bone surgeon. She no longer practices having retired in the 1990s because she developed an irrational fear of contracting AIDS from her patients.

She's made her fortune touting natural 'cures' for cancer based on her own experience with breast cancer. Basically, she had a small tumor which was removed, but which was found to have some residual disease on micropathology. She had a re-excision for which she has always refused to release the medical records, but which there is every reason to believe would have removed all residual cancer.

She was offered radiation and chemotherapy, which is standard. Radiation decreased local recurrence in the breast, but has no effect on survival. Chemotherapy has been shown to offer slight survival advantage for premenopausal women. (Now, many therapies are hormonal and chemo is used less often.)

She refused both treatments. The fact is, the majority of women who refuse chemo and radiation would NOT go on to die of cancer. However the treatments improve your odds that the cancer won't come back and that you won't die, so most women decide to do them.

Luckily, she did NOT suffer a cancer recurrence and was cured by the original surgery, which is not unlikely or unusual. However, she described a longterm disability with reams of complaints - none of which are typical for breast cancer recurrence. She then got better.

She then went on to amass millions of dollars advertising self help regimens that she claims cured her of her cancer recurrence (which she never had).

She's been completely discredited by the scientific and medical communities. She was investigated and found guilty of fraudulent advertising by the Better Business Bureau with regards to the following claims:

1. The claim that Dr. Day had cancerous cells following her second surgery and that doctors "sent her home to die",
2. The claim that if people go on a vegetarian diet and exercise on a regular basis and decrease their alcoholic intake, they will decrease their incidence of cancer by 33 percent. . . and
3. The claim that "chemotherapy doesn't work for anybody."

She withdrew her televised informercial under threat of being reported to the Federal Trade Commission, and switched to internet advertising, which is not regulated.

Importantly, all she has ever had to do to prove her claims that she cured herself of cancer is to release the medical records from her second surgery. That's it. She could prove to the whole world that what she says is true; she could revolutionize treatment of cancer; she could advertise on prime time television to her pocketbook's content. But she has always refused to do this, despite the fact that she readily released the records from her first surgery, in which she was diagnosed with cancer.

She's a fraud and a crook, and she's making millions of dollars pitching false hopes to people with life threatening illnesses.
#47 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much mamas, I have so much to say to thank all of you, but let me update you a tad.

I spoke to my homeopath on Friday am, he had spoken to my local hospital, and the 'growth' is termed "suspicious". It is also measuring at 2-3 cm. To me that doesn't sound big, especially b/c what I'm feeling is a golf ball. (Blessed, can you step in if you are still around and tell me how big 2-3 cm is?). What I saw on u/s was the big lymph node, and a smaller black circle, that I haven't felt before. I'm hoping that maybe that teeny thing--looked grape sized, is the cancer and my lymph node is just inflammed from the cancer being there. If so, I'm wicked proud of my lymph node for fighting it, and pointing it out to me

Anywho, I have a referral out w/a surgeon that was recommended to me by many people over at Dartmouth, who works w/breast cancer (oh, my breasts are fine, I'm a size B, feel my self up regularly due to nursing, and they are not lumpy or nuttin.), and has specialty in "axillary mass", which is what I have going on. Dartmouth will be getting back to me on Mon or Tues to set up a consult.

Okay, let's see if I can answer questions, oh and Gitti, I am a huge research nerd, so any book recommendations, links to websites, are hugely appreciated. I'm in attack mode right now.

MT, thank you for bringing up thermography I knew this was an option but totally forgot under my pressure for the mammogram at the hosptial. Will be discussing this at Dartmouth to get a baseline. But I'm feeling that my breasts are healthy, so we'll see.

Raw food diet, I was on this for some time before, but it is worth looking into. I have leaky gut and I totally feel that b/c of that my immune system could not fight this off. I'm about to do the SCD/MD diet to heal to give my body a chance to fight this off. I'm young, and pretty healthy despite the leaky gut. I think this will be the key to my recovery.

I have no info about this Hoxsey stuff and it was recommended twice on this thread. Desiree, you said you could get me contact info?? I'd be interested.

I'll look into that Danial Chapter 1, if you have a link I'd be

I do not use anti-perspirant, haven't in yrs. I use Burt's Bees stuff that allows me to sweat, but prevents the stinky smell.

EFMom, and congrats to you. Thank you so much for the PM, the dr. your BIL recommended is the one I'm going w/. And thanks for the 'referral'. And I totally hear you on being around for my kids. Radiation/Chemo is not a path I want to go on, but, I will always choose life, over death. I'm open

JANE!!! OMG, you are the bomb. So glad I've started the primezyme and the peptizide. I haven't dug into your links, but will do as soon as my head is a lil' less fuzzy.

Let's see, I just got to blessed's post on Dr. Day. Very interesting. I stumbled up her sight a couple of months ago when I was starting to realize that what I had was cancer, and I had similar concerns.

And thank you for all the hugs and such, and please, if you have any links or anything, I'm a research nut, not up to MT's standards ( ), but one nonetheless. I'm not really dealing w/the emotional aspect of this until I really know what is going on. I'm just gone into research hyper-drive

Thanks moonlight

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you updated after my consult next week.
Amy
#48 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 04:07 PM

Two to three centimeters is just over one inch in length (1 inch = 2.2 cm).

Sounds like you got the ball rolling. That's great. Keep us informed!
#49 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed
Two to three centimeters is just over one inch in length (1 inch = 2.2 cm).

Sounds like you got the ball rolling. That's great. Keep us informed!
So what is that, in "ball" sizes? About how big is a golf ball? I got my lil' tape measure thing going on, but I can't physically see it, yk?
#50 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 05:21 PM

Many (((hugs)))

My MIL is undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer right now.

There are no easy decisions with this and I wish you the best.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#51 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 05:29 PM

There are 2.54 cm in an inch.
#52 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 05:42 PM

I've got a book recommendation: Options, Alternative Cancer Treatments by Richard Walters

It is the only book on cancer that my friend Lata carries at her store: www.flowerpower.net She doesn't usually like the single-issue health books; but, she thinks this one is great.

Here's the Amazon page on it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...lance&n=283155
#53 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom
There are 2.54 cm in an inch.
This is actually correct.

This is about the size of a largish marble.
#54 of 161 Old 03-25-2006, 07:33 PM

I want to second the book

Options The Alternative Cancer Therapy Book by Richard Walters.

Amazing book. Tons of information.

isbn number is
0-89529-510-5
It includes chapters on
chinese medicine
herbal therapies
shark cartilage
Gerson therapy
metabolics
Hoxsey treatment
macrobiotics
Issels' therapy
bioelectric medicine
Burzynski therapy
and many more......

It's about $14
#55 of 161 Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
shark cartilage
Burzynski therapy
my father took shark cartilage and went to the Burzynski clinic in TX...

Amy, more s and hope you get good news

wish I could offer you more; I remember how helpful you were to me back when I was first discovering ds' allergies (when I was adriannewe here on MDC)
#56 of 161 Old 03-26-2006, 02:22 AM

Just wanted to give you a whole bunch of

It sounds like you know where you want to start, I wish you much strength and care as you deal with this.
#57 of 161 Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 AM

Have you seen this site? http://www.altcancer.com/bpaste.htm

I have used their bloodroot paste before. They have a paste and pills for cancer. These herbs can leave disfiguring scarring, but they remove tumors and growths.

It is more for skin cancer, but it makes you wonder if the herbal pills would help internally for other cancers. Their formula is similar to the Hoxey I believe.

I hope the research you are doing gives you the answers you need to find to get better
#58 of 161 Old 03-27-2006, 12:49 AM

I have no advice, but I wanted to offer a
#59 of 161 Old 04-11-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. I'm ready to update.

About a week after the u/s, I saw my homeopath and he put me on a very strong remedy, carcinoma or something similar. I've been taking it diligently.

A week or so ago, I thought I might be losing my mind as it seems smaller than it was during the u/s. I feel it all the time, so unfortunately, couldn't be quite sure. I saw my allopathic GP last wednesday, and he explained the two black circles on the u/s. He said that it was not 2 masses, but just the one, but it had nodes. Like if I loosely inflated a balloon and put a rubber band around it.

So w/this in mind, I've also felt really calm and peaceful about the whole thing. I've been reevaluating my life and all that good stuff But really peaceful w/my body. Also, I keep thinking about how I do NOT want surgery, which was very different than what I was feeling even before the u/s, I kept saying, "I just want it out" to anyone who would listen. As of late, I keep saying, "I really just don't want to do this, it doesn't seem right".

So, I'm feeling myself up again, wondering if I'm totally losing my mind or not, and I realize, that the other node is gone. Instead of being bumpy inside, it is smooth, and much, much smaller. Like a cute lil apricot (but more almond shaped, if we are sticking w/the food).

So, off I go to see the surgeon today who was really incredible. I really really love Dartmouth, and I want to put that out there if this ever gets searched in the future. A first-class hospital. Anywho, I regress. She was hoping it was a 'lactating adanoma', but upon closer inspection, it is in the wrong place. She feels that it is definately cancer. Can't say for sure w/o a pathology report, but, in her experience, it is walking and quaking like a duck. She says it is not lymphoma, but breast cancer.

Again, nothing I didn't expect.

So, we go over all the policies and such (its a 40 min procedure under local), no problem w/b/fing (she was a nursing mom), and they don't prescribe antibiotics after surgery--which, was a huge issue for me. Everything just felt right and all my questions were answered, and she far exceeded my expectations.

So, my current plan is to keep up w/the remedy (as discussed w/my homeopath today, who is also thrilled) until I intuitively feel done, and then take it once a month as a prophalactic measure. If for any reason I want surgery, the surgeon will love to have me and welcomes any questions I may have for her.

So, I'm feeling great. Strong, proud of my body, and feel that this is the right choice for me. I will also remain open to whatever shall be, and should I need to under the knife, I feel very comfortable under this surgeon's care.

Thanks for all the reading, I love LOVE that options book that was recommended

And thank you for all the hugs and good thoughts. It was a lil' scary back then.

Amy & the apricot
#60 of 161 Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 AM

just wanted you to know i'm still praying for you

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page