***UPDATE***It looks like I *might* have cancer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could be wrong of course. But I've had this lump under my arm for 2 1/2 months, and I just had it u/s today. Of course they can't tell me anything & I have to wait until they contact my homeopath w/the results. But, on u/s, the mass was dark black & looked solid. The u/s tech would not look me in the eyes after it was over.

My younger sister has breast cancer presently. My mother had breast cancer a couple of years ago. My mom's mom (my grandmother) had ovarian cancer and her 4 sisters all died of cancer--mostly girly cancer (cervix, ovarian, uterine), but one had brain cancer.

So, here are my beliefs & needs.

I do not want a mammorgram. I do not want a biopsy. I do not want chemo nor radiation. I would love to get the lump surgically removed-intact.

I feel that w/my history putting radiation on my already prone to cancer breasts is not a smart move. Especially b/c I'm pre-menopausal (30, to be exact). I was just strong-armed at the hosptial into accpeting a mammagram, which I denied. Which I denied on the phone the other day. Sigh.

I do not feel that inserting a needle into a cancerous lump and leaving a trail of cancer cells is a smart move.

I do not feel, *for me* that radiation, which causes cancer, is a good move, nor to I feel, *for me* that having chemicals added to my body that utterly destroy my immune system is a smart move either.

So this is where I am.

What am I looking for? Science to back up my intuitive feelings. A surgeon in my area, preferably at Dartmouth/Hitchcock in NH who will be able to remove my lump intact without spreading cancer cells into my body.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 03:30 PM

No advice here. Just thoughts and prayers for a healthy outcome.
#3 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 PM

Oh, Amy!

No advice, sorry - but I couldn't just skip past this without offering my heartfelt prayers.

I'm still torn on getting future mammograms (I've had one) after reading some stuff here. There's a history of breast calcifications in my family (mom & aunt, so far) and I have REALLY dense breasts - mom's doc found hers on a routine exam, but she's got itty bitties.

Best wishes, mama. Keep us updated.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#4 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Oh how scary. I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you find some answers and peace soon.
#5 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM

no advice here but please know I'm praying for you......There are tons of super knowledgeable women here....I hope someone can give you some direction here

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#6 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 04:20 PM

You'll be in my thoughts. I don't have any real knowledge about cancer but the things you wrote make sense to me. Much health and peace to you!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#7 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 04:24 PM

I'll just toss in what I know as a surgeon.

Malignancies in the axilla are of essentially of two types. The first would be metastatic to a lymph node, meaning spread from somewhere else. Breast cancer is the most common example.

The second type of malignacy would be lymphoma. This is a cancer which starts, grows and spreads in the lymph nodes.

In either case, cutting out the lymph node would not be able to acheive a cure. If it's breast cancer, then there is a focus of cancer in the breast (the primary) which is seeding the lymph nodes under the arm. The cancer would still be present and untreated in your body after you removed the lump under your arm.

Similarly, with lymphoma the cancer isn't confined to one single node. So you have to treat the area, usually with radiation. Lymphoma has a very high complete cure rate after radiation therapy.

Taking out the lump is called 'excisional biopsy'. This is a reasonable approach and will allow your docs to make a definitive diagnosis of whether this is truly cancer or not, and what kind. The ultrasound may be read as 'suspicious for malignancy', but is not able to say if cancer is present or what kind. Oftentimes excisional biopsies are performed removing the lump and the pathology reveals a benign cause with no cancer present.

Given your family history, I would consult a surgeon who specializes in treating breast cancers. These are fellowship trained docs who do nothing but breast surgery. These people (usually women) are far and away the best at knowing about treatment options which are most likely to avoid unnecessary disfiguring surgeries and toxic therapies after surgery. They would most likely get you in to be seen right away.

Good luck, dear. Let us know. We're all hoping for the best.
#8 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 04:29 PM

#9 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 05:07 PM

No words of wisdom from me but I think you are in the right place to find some...

Sending hugs and prayers your way!

Michele
#10 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went through something similiar a few years ago. I had a huge lump under my chin, one of my lymph nodes. I chose to have removed instead of a biopsy. It could have been one of 3; non-hodgkins, hodgkins, or just non-cancerous. It ended up non cancerous and they were surprised, because they really thought it would be non-hodgkins.

The waiting on results were really hard. to you
#11 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 05:28 PM

Amy,
Your post brought me to tears. I am sending prayers of healing and strength your way.
I agree with your thoughts on treatment and what you want to avoid. I have a very similar family history, and I have spent a fair amount of time thinking this topic through. I wish I had some names of books/articles to recommend, but I do know that there are many women who choose to tackle their cancer with alternative means. Does your homeopath have any references?
My mother was at Dartmouth Hitchcock A LOT when I was a kid. (I feel like I grew up there). I will ask my Dad the name of her physician. I know my mom liked her and she was understanding (this wasn't too long ago, I bet she's still there). I'll let you know when I can find out her name.
While my mom was battling breast cancer, we had a lot of healing circles/women's song nights/etc, and I swear to you those times of concentrated healing energy did a lot more for her than her times of treatment in the hospital.
I think it must be very difficult to make an *alternative* decision in regards to cancer treatment, when everyone is urging the standard course of care. I also think that if you do choose to go the alternative route (IF it even comes to that), you will have to be prepared to expend serious amounts of energy into your healing, b/c a lot of it will be on your shoulders. Of course, going the standard route requires exhaustive amounts of energy, faith and perseverance, but if you are doing something *different*, it's going to be even harder.
Do you have a good support network of friends and family there? I hope you do, you deserve it, mama.
Have you ever read Anatomy of the Spirit by Carolyn Myss, or Love, Medicine and Miracles by Bernie Seigel? They're worth looking at.
be strong, and have faith that you CAN heal this!
#12 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Amy,

I am sorry for the bad news.
May I make a suggestion? Please consider the raw food approach to overcoming cancer. There are powerful accounts of recoveries due to, for example, drinking large amounts of fresh juice (carrot, grapes or wheatgrass). I know someone who recovered from colon cancer through diet after being "given" 6 months to live by the doctors. Our bodies are incredible, they can recover from almost anything if they are given the chance. Please consider this option - you can recover better health than you've had in years (or even decades).
#13 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I do not feel that inserting a needle into a cancerous lump and leaving a trail of cancer cells is a smart move.

I do not feel, *for me* that radiation, which causes cancer, is a good move, nor to I feel, *for me* that having chemicals added to my body that utterly destroy my immune system is a smart move either.
I agree with you 100%. I wouldnt want those things either. I might do what blessed suggested though the removal of the lump by 'excisional biopsy' and then have it tested and go from there.

Have you looked into Hoxsey treatment? My aunt did that as a last resort but her immune system was already destroyed by chemo and radiation. She did feel better while on it though and had much more energy than she did while getting mainstream treatment. If you need contact info, let me know. to you mama!

Desiree

#14 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 06:32 PM

Amy, no advice - though there are very wise women here - but I couldn't read and not give you 's and some healing fairy . We are all thinking of you - please keep us updated and know you can come talk, vent, and ask whenever you need.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#15 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 06:49 PM

Amy in this situation I'd take Blessed's advice, because what I know of you from your posts tells me you need to know exactly where you are.

Once you know, then you can make precise informed choices.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#16 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 PM

No advice, just a little
#17 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 PM

I hope you'll find an understanding doctor...
#18 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 PM

#19 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 PM

Hi Amy,
I've thought about your post all day and wish I could find something to say that'd help. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this now.
Keep the faith.
:
~Terri
#20 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 09:28 PM

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#21 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 09:55 PM

s to you Amy. I so with I could do something for you.

P.S.
Would it be of any use to post sites that we have researched or books we've read on the subject? I don't know whether I would want that if I were in your situation, that's why I am asking.
#22 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 10:08 PM

I am really sorry. I have heard of this herbal stuff called Danial Chapter 1 that a lot of people have claimed is a miracle. I hope you are completely off in your feelings that you may have cancer. I hope it is benign. really do..I'm so sorry.
#23 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 10:08 PM

I'm sorry. Hoping everything turns out ok.
#24 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 PM

#25 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 10:26 PM

All my sympathy to you Amy. I really hope it is not cancer, and if it is, I hope it is not too serious.

Jason
#26 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 11:35 PM

#27 of 161 Old 03-23-2006, 11:42 PM

no advice just s
#28 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#29 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 03:47 AM

to you, hope you find some great info and treatment. And I hope it's benign!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#30 of 161 Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 AM

AmyD... have you thought about investigating having a thermography scan done? There is a doctor in this country trained in them, and he has discussed it fully with me.

Not only are they non-invasive, in discussing this technology with me he was saying that thermography is far more sensitive than a mammography. They allow far more flexibility in terms of alternatives and options, and he had some very interesting things to say about it. It's worth an investigate on your part. It's certainly the path I'd chose if I wanted something I thought was potentially cancerous, investigated.

This site might be useful.

http://www.breastthermography.org/location.htm

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page