Holding food benifits hostage?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I decided to apply for food benifits, I wouldn't if we didn't need it because I hate having a government agency all up in my business, but we need it right now.

I was reading through the application and came across this:

Quote:
Immunizations (Shots) For Children.
If my household is eligible to recieve FIA Program benefits, I understand that the amount of those benefits will be reduced by $25.00 for each month any of my children under the age of six (6) are not immunized as recommended by the Michigan Department of Community Health.
WTF?! Can they really do that?!

Right now, I can just say he's up to date, he's only a week old, and I can just tell him he hasn't had his doctor's appointment yet. So I think I have a year before we are re-evaluated... what then? Can I file an exemption with them? (I don't think so) a letter from my ped (he supports non/sel/del vax) I don't want to lie and get stripped of all our benifits... should I just take the $25 loss each month and risk them contacting CPS??

Anyone else ever dealt with this?

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 08:14 PM

You should be able to say you're religiously against vaccines and they can't reduce your benefits.

-Angela
Old 04-08-2006, 08:21 PM

Wow! That is outrageous (and probably illegal if contested). But your religious exemption should do the trick-if the yactually ever ask for records-which I doubt.

We get FS and they do not ask anything about this stuff.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 PM

Dh lost his job and I started working f/t and we get fs. DD was also put on medicaid. This question never came up. I'm in NY.
I can't believe they do that. What does having to eat have anything to do with vaccines??

julie
Old 04-09-2006, 07:53 PM

I agree with the PP, just take a religious exemption. That would make it totally wrong because they'd be withholding benefits based on your religious beliefs. And remember, a personal belief unique to you alone is enough to qualify for religious exemption, you DO NOT have to state what religion you are.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125
WTF?! Can they really do that?!

From the application:

This is your copy of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant for or recipient of assistance benefits. By signing the application you acknowledge that you understand your rights and responsibilities.

1. Non-discrimination. In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:50 PM

I know the OP knows, but I wanted to point to others who may not -- following the recommended immunization schedule is not a prerequisite for social services eligiblity in Michigan or any state.

I looked over the application and I don't see any questions on the application related to medical history, including immunization history.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:35 PM

I ran into this too as I also live in MI and do not vax. All you need to do is give them a signed copy of the MI exemption waiver. You can download in online. They did not even keep mine (even though it was a copy and I told them they could). I have not had the fine imposed on me and have had no questions/troubles ever since......well at least not in regards to vax.....

BTW, I keep copies of that waiver on hand so that if anyone tries to tell me I am doing something illegal or "dangerous", I can whip one out and end that conversation. I have had to use it at the docs office, headstart (we took a class through them), the ER (although they should have known better), the WIC office, and the daycare at my fitness center.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
They did not even keep mine (even though it was a copy and I told them they could).
Not surprising - an immunization record or school immunization exemption form is not part of the documentation required in order to determine eligibility for the Food Assistance Program.

What did they ask you (re immunizations) when you went there in person with your application?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 AM

Are there food banks you can go to? We've had to go to one a few times, and we did that instead of applying for food stamps because like you said, we don't want the gov't up in our business. The food bank we've gone to just asks about your situation (if you're working, how many people in your house) and there's the option of talking to a councelor (sp?). No prying questions, and definitely nothing about vax status.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Don't you know he's already behind schedule? Vax's start at birth with Hep B, everyone knows that!:

They can't do anything to you including reducing your FS amount.

Quote:
Right now, I can just say he's up to date, he's only a week old, and I can just tell him he hasn't had his doctor's appointment yet.

Seriously?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I ran into this too as I also live in MI and do not vax. All you need to do is give them a signed copy of the MI exemption waiver. You can download in online. They did not even keep mine (even though it was a copy and I told them they could). I have not had the fine imposed on me and have had no questions/troubles ever since......well at least not in regards to vax.....

BTW, I keep copies of that waiver on hand so that if anyone tries to tell me I am doing something illegal or "dangerous", I can whip one out and end that conversation. I have had to use it at the docs office, headstart (we took a class through them), the ER (although they should have known better), the WIC office, and the daycare at my fitness center.
Thank you! Do you know where I can download that waiver?

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you! Do you know where I can download that waiver?
http://www.momvaccines.org/html/vaccine_waiver.html

Scroll down to your options

User Tag List