I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Thank goodness for this thread. SO much information.

My sister is a junior in nursing school and keeps sending me tidbits of "information" in an effort to vax DS. Grr. She recently sent me an email asking me to please reconsider vaxing DS for this. I sent her one back asking her to let me know if she knows anyone with Mumps so I can naturally vaccinate him.

I'm in Milwaukee, BTW.

~Kate
#302 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyedyedeyes
I sent her one back asking her to let me know if she knows anyone with Mumps so I can naturally vaccinate him.

#303 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersweet
What about deaths though? Is she trying to scare me??
There have been zero deaths. If there were a death, you can be absolutely positive the news would be plastered all over the world.
#304 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama

Yeah, so that doesn't mean that there is not a problem.

exactly.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#305 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
"The best protection against mumps is the vaccine," Gerberding said. "There is confusion right now if whether or not this outbreak is related to some problem with the vaccine," she said. "I want to emphasize that we have absolutely no information that there is any problem with the vaccine."
That quote is from the director of the CDC!
Is she just flat-out lying?
#306 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
Probably, she's just paid too much to care.
#307 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
We already know about the vaxed/non-vaxed percentages and what the CDC is saying when they say "the vaccine is working."

The point of this thread and others like it is to "emphasize" the misconception many people have about the MMR vaccine . . . that you are "covered" so to speak. It's obvious the previously and proudly touted efficacy rate is not quite so efficacious. It was previously and proudly touted as being 95% - now it's 80%.

When there are no "outbreaks," the CDC and pediatricians make it appear as though the MMR and other vaccines are gifts from the Heavens. They're not so quick to point out (and print) the 80% efficacy rate in the VIS . . .

. . . ya know what I mean?

There's an underlying "message" here and it is in keeping with the tone of this forum.

You'd be surprised how many parents believe their child can't possibly come down with a VPD once they've been vaxed and are in utter shock when it does happen. Actually, you'd be surprised how many peds and school nurses think the same way.

Now they're thinking as low as 70%.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/diseases/mump...-tech-faqs.htm
Quote:
Yes, some of the reported cases are in individuals that have been vaccinated with two doses of MMR. The vaccine effectiveness for one dose of MMR is 70-80% and 80-90% for two doses.
#308 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Probably, she's just paid too much to care.
This is just surreal.
They really don't think anyone's watching, do they...
#309 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyedyedeyes
She recently sent me an email asking me to please reconsider vaxing DS for this. I sent her one back asking her to let me know if she knows anyone with Mumps so I can naturally vaccinate him.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#310 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
From what I remember, that is usually the case - it increases uptake for the shot, generally speaking. Good for the bank accounts of the pHARMa, and (for those who believe in the vax) good for the population at large who is theoretically then protected.:Puke
As part of my checking through the official information here, on diphtheria, the use of the diphtheria vaccine here never rose much above 9%, because according to the guru of the time, parents could see it had lessened in severity over the decades, and the vaccine itself caused nasty side-effects. They stopped using in after 1955, as they did everywhere, because of the polio outbreak. They brought it back in a new formulation with whooping cough, and the guru of the time said that parents were then prepared to allow the D component to trail in, because they were a lot more afraid of whooping cough than they were of diphtheria. So they wanted the WC component so tolerated the d trailing in on the back of wc.

Now that's not the usual way of putting it, but its what happened here.

Remember as you read this, that these were the VERY parents who grew up during diphtheria epidemics, and who were supposedly dying like flies everywhere.

There is far more to these issues than ever meets the eye. The thing is, you have to know where to look.

And no.

They don't think anyone is looking.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#311 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 10:35 PM

Oh, so they finally admit this?

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/diseases/mump...-tech-faqs.htm
Quote:
In one study 86.6% of vaccinees had evidence of mumps seroconversion at 4 weeks after immunization and 93.3% had evidence of seroconversion after 5 weeks. However, seroconverion may not result in immunity. About 80% of persons who have received 1 dose can be considered protected and 90% after 2 doses.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#312 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
It's her job, mamakay.
#313 of 550 Old 04-26-2006, 11:52 PM

Don't have anything to add, but have to say again:

I am totally loving this thread!
#314 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom
In order to keep the memory cell population in an individual up to levels sufficient to prevent the disease, you have to be periodically exposed to the illness. ...

Before vaccines came along to muck up the system (in more ways than one), people were normally exposed to the bacteria/viruses in the course of daily life. Their immunity, once gained, was boostered by other children with the disease in the community, and they didn't have the actual disease again because their body was "current" with the natural booster of environmental exposure.
Do you ever think that in addition to the immunization program messing things up (that is, preventing us from being re-exposed over our lifetimes to diseases so that we remain immune), we are also messing things up by the way we live now days? We put our elderly into facilities with only old people instead of having them live with us as they age -- therefore, they are not re-exposed as they age. And, we are having fewer children so we are exposed less within our own families yet we are more exposed to people outside of our families because of our work, travel, school activities etc.

Just wondering.... we think modern life is so advanced yet perhaps it is setting us back...
#315 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz
Do you ever think that in addition to the immunization program messing things up (that is, preventing us from being re-exposed over our lifetimes to diseases so that we remain immune), we are also messing things up by the way we live now days? We put our elderly into facilities with only old people instead of having them live with us as they age -- therefore, they are not re-exposed as they age. And, we are having fewer children so we are exposed less within our own families yet we are more exposed to people outside of our families because of our work, travel, school activities etc.

Just wondering.... we think modern life is so advanced yet perhaps it is setting us back...
Oh, I wouldn't doubt that for a second!
#316 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 11:14 AM

did anyone see the episode of little bear on noggin this am? bears little friend lucy was in bed with the mumps with a rag tied around her head. the mother was getting her ice cream. little bear came over and she said something like "my mom says if you have already had mumps you cant get it again" so they could play together even though she had the mumps because little bear already had it. pretty cool.
#317 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersweet
did anyone see the episode of little bear on noggin this am? bears little friend lucy was in bed with the mumps with a rag tied around her head. the mother was getting her ice cream. little bear came over and she said something like "my mom says if you have already had mumps you cant get it again" so they could play together even though she had the mumps because little bear already had it. pretty cool.
Awww, I missed it! That's too cute!! I hope it's on again soon, before some parent blows a rod and figures out a way to get it pulled.
#318 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 11:42 AM

I love that episode

I recorded it for my dh (who may have the mumps right now...dang lab is sitting on the bloodwork )
and now I am trying to convince him to let me tie a scarf around his head . It wouldn't look much sillier than him sitting around all day pressing on his swollen glands with the palm of his hand
#319 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace474
I love that episode

I recorded it for my dh (who may have the mumps right now...dang lab is sitting on the bloodwork )
and now I am trying to convince him to let me tie a scarf around his head . It wouldn't look much sillier than him sitting around all day pressing on his swollen glands with the palm of his hand
I see that your in DC. So, this isn't just a Midwest thing then. Does he travel? I hope he's feeling better soon, no matter what it is that's wrong.
#320 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 12:01 PM

he hasn't travelled recently, but once he started displaying symptoms someone mentioned to me that one of the "infected" flights landed in DC...so I guess anything is possible.

If it's not mumps, it's some other viral infection that is infecting his paratoid gland on one side and has since spread to his other salivary glands on that side.

Thanks for the well wishes
#321 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace474
he hasn't travelled recently, but once he started displaying symptoms someone mentioned to me that one of the "infected" flights landed in DC...so I guess anything is possible.

If it's not mumps, it's some other viral infection that is infecting his paratoid gland on one side and has since spread to his other salivary glands on that side.

Thanks for the well wishes
Ah, maybe it's not then. From what I know, it's not that contagious if you haven't actually come into contact with an infected individual. But, like you said, who knows though, anything is possible. I think our days are numbered here though. Dh works in CT and we live in WI. He frequently flies Midwest Express. My dad will be returning from a conference in Vegas this afternoon and returning to work at a place that has already had two confirmed cases, but I think he had it already as a child though, and I am picking my sister up from the airport in a couple hours. She's flying in from TX. No use in running I guess. I should just be prepared!
#322 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
No use in running I guess. I should just be prepared!
No, you should run out and get vaccinated! Don't you know the CDC says that will protect you?

:
#323 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Ah, maybe it's not then. From what I know, it's not that contagious if you haven't actually come into contact with an infected individual. But, like you said, who knows though, anything is possible. I think our days are numbered here though. Dh works in CT and we live in WI. He frequently flies Midwest Express. My dad will be returning from a conference in Vegas this afternoon and returning to work at a place that has already had two confirmed cases, but I think he had it already as a child though, and I am picking my sister up from the airport in a couple hours. She's flying in from TX. No use in running I guess. I should just be prepared!
I don't know much about mumps transmission...but I read that 20% of people infected don't show any symptoms. My best guess would be that if he does have mumps, he got it from someone who had no idea they had it. He is a contractor for the govt (at the NSF) so he works with a lot of frequent fliers.

I guess we'll know for sure when the bloodwork comes back. At this point I'd almost prefer for him to have mumps than some random mystery virus
#324 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz

oh i TOTALLY agree with you on that one! not to mention how parents now refuse to even expose their kids to *anything*...antibacterial soap, grocery cart handle covers, sterile environment, keeping sick kids in isolation...i think all of that contributes and one day there is going to be some serious fallout from that plus the whole vaccination thing. who was it that said,"it's not nice to fool Mother Nature?"

people shudder when i let my 9 month old lick a restaurant table or touch a grocery cart handle...i look at it as practice for his immune system. the annihilation of germs does not equal health!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#325 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer
people shudder when i let my 9 month old lick a restaurant table or touch a grocery cart handle...i look at it as practice for his immune system. the annihilation of germs does not equal health!
Yeah, I try not to stress about that kind of stuff. I had a grocery cart cover, but that was more because it gets to 120 degrees outside and I didn't want my kids to get "grill marks" from the grocery cart.

Sometimes my kids will drop food on the floor and then eat it. I really discourage this if we're out somewhere, and even at home I don't exactly promote it. But, I don't really worry about it that much, either. Not that I serve my kids on the floor, but if they happen to eat something, that's what happens. Occasionally someone else has witnessed this and I just tell them, "That's what they have an immune system for!"
#326 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 PM

I don't know. I look at those things a little differently. Modern inventions have allowed for many people to be in many different places in a very short amount of time. Things aren't the same as they used to be.

BTW, I'd be more concerned about the chemicals used to clean the tables than the 'germs' on them.
#327 of 550 Old 04-27-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
the annihilation of germs does not equal health!
You are correct sir! Er, ma'am.
http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/hmm/0...ter/germs.html
#328 of 550 Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

I've formed a mumps sharing tribe! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...62#post5020662

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#329 of 550 Old 04-28-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride

You may want to include this in your "invitation" though:
Vaxed Children Welcome
#330 of 550 Old 04-28-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
You may want to include this in your "invitation" though:
Vaxed Children Welcome

:

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page