I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2006, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamama
I believe this is a relevant question at some point in the course of the disease.
Although only 265 cases on average have been reported since 2001, in the US. (stats from the CDC site http://www.cdc.gov/nip/diseases/mumps/default.htm )Last year in the United Kingdom, there were 56,000 cases reported. Most mumps (50%) present as only non-specific upper respiratory symptoms and probably are never recognized or counted. Children younger than age 1, are generally considered protected by a mother's immunity.

So, I'd still consider the fact that the world has mumps, and that our family intends to travel outside of the US, that childhood acquired mumps is preferable to an adult lack of immunity.

Same with chicken pox.

Pat
Oh I see. So, would you feel this same way about most sicknesses? So long as they aren't life threatening?

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy
Seriously.... does everyone need to have an attitude. I have honest questions, but this is like talking to a doctor about vaccinations only they're on the other side. Where does one go to ask honest questions without people getting rude and snippy? I've had about enough already.

Like I asked before your typical and tired pro-vax defensiveness kicked in: "what makes you think mumps is so rare?"

FTR, that statement would be an "attitude."
Old 04-29-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI
What makes you think mumps is rare?
Oh, you mean because the reported, properly diagnosed cases have been so low?
Illiniosmommy - this is not an example of Long Island being snippy. It's really just a question.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Like I asked before your typical and tired pro-vax defensiveness kicked in: "what makes you think mumps is so rare?"

Unless she says otherwise
Old 04-29-2006, 04:23 PM
EVC

Didn't have time to read all the responses here, so my apologies if I'm repeating.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/9...0415&qs=1;bp=t

What is interesting here is the poll which, when I clicked on it, showed:

Do you have a current vaccination to protect you from mumps?
Choice Votes Percentage of 3848 Votes
Yes 1173 30%
No 1066 28%
I'm not sure1609 42%

I was expecting "yes" to be much higher.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
Old 04-29-2006, 04:24 PM

Re: rarity...I was reading somewhere this morning that there were several different strains of mumps, but I haven't seen anything concluding that this recent rash of cases is related to the "UK strain". heck how do I know if the 50,000 cases in the Uk is all one strain anyways...
Old 04-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
Someone asked me for a reference on the mumps herd immunity thing...
http://www.ped.med.utah.edu/genpedsc...ec1181/017.htm
http://www.ped.med.utah.edu/genpedsc...ec1181/018.htm

This vax is obviously below the "threshold"
Do you mean with one MMR or two? Thanks for the links!
Old 04-29-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Oh I see. So, would you feel this same way about most sicknesses? So long as they aren't life threatening?
Generally, yes, if the childhood disease is inordinately less nocuous than the adult version.

Btw, if you missed it, I am/was a health professional and we are a non-vaccinating family. So, I have researched and understand the debate from both sides. I'd be glad to help answer your questions, just as others here are trying to do. Many of whom have much more information than I. And tons more than most pediatricians.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Sigh.... I am not pro-vax, I am seeking information and undecided. You're right, maybe I should just forget the whole thing and go post somewhere else in this forum.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Generally, yes, if the childhood disease is inordinately less nocuous than the adult version.

Btw, if you missed it, I am/was a health professional and we are a non-vaccinating family. So, I have researched and understand the debate from both sides. I'd be glad to help answer your questions, just as others here are trying to do. Many of whom have much more information than I. And tons more than most pediatricians.

Pat
Thank you!! Could you answer the questions on my thread? That would be so great

Old 04-29-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
You're right, maybe I should just forget the whole thing and go post somewhere else in this forum.
I'm "right" about what?
Old 04-29-2006, 04:40 PM
EVC

Had a question, but just found the answer. Sorry.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
EVC

Quote:
I guess if you want mumps you should go hang out at a hospital. That's the best way to catch any disease!
Sorry for the off topic:

Quote:
At least a dozen people who had routine operations say they caught deadly viruses and other germs from body parts stolen from corpses
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/04/28....ap/index.html

Hospitals scare me more and more.......

Old 04-29-2006, 05:35 PM

Anyone have a total mumps count?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Anyone have a total mumps count?
I don't understand the question. Personally, my only concern is the dire complications risk. And regardless of the total number of mumps, the "danger" is so rare, especially for children, imo. You can extrapolate the number of complications by population, or by age range, without needing to know the incidence of total mumps. Since theoretically, people only get it once...

Or, do you mean the total mumps incidence in the world?

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Since theoretically, people only get it once...
I posted this earlier in the thread and others seemed to agree that you have to be exposed to the mumps (as with chicken pox) every so often to keep your immunity. A natrual booster if you will. Since I have not been exposed to the mumps in oh 30 years or so, it is possible that I could get them again should they come this way. That is probably the reason some older people are getting them in this outbreak. The mumps just hasn't been around for people to keep their immunity strong.

ETA: I think she is asking if anyone knows the total current count of mumps cases in this outbreak in the US right now.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

What I don't understand is that on several websites, for any disease, they will list the incidence of complications as so many per 1,000 cases, or something like that. But they don't tell you that the people with the complications had cancer, or HIV, or smoked four packs a day, etc. It would give such a better picture if they would tell us that.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
I posted this earlier in the thread and others seemed to agree that you have to be exposed to the mumps (as with chicken pox) every so often to keep your immunity. A natrual booster if you will. Since I have not been exposed to the mumps in oh 30 years or so, it is possible that I could get them again should they come this way. That is probably the reason some older people are getting them in this outbreak. The mumps just hasn't been around for people to keep their immunity strong.

ETA: I think she is asking if anyone knows the total current count of mumps cases in this outbreak in the US right now.
From my understanding, one can have remissions and exacerbations with viruses (like hepatitis). And there are different varients of viruses (ie. the flu iterations). But, I don't believe that one needs repeated exposure for imjunity, I may be incorrect. The quality of the vaccine immunity is suspect and perhaps incomplete since it is an unnatural mutation. This may be the case with the current chicken pox exposures since many cases are vaccine-related variants, rather than wild chicken pox.

The quality of the original exposure may be the important variable. Apparently, repeated exposures does provide more protection though, from what I understand.

Those more knowledgable, please correct or educate me.

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
I think she is asking if anyone knows the total current count of mumps cases in this outbreak in the US right now.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I just saw the number 1165 cases in eight states quoted in this article from April 20th. However, there are other discrepancies in the article. So, for what it is worth....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/hea...orld-headlines

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
What I don't understand is that on several websites, for any disease, they will list the incidence of complications as so many per 1,000 cases, or something like that. But they don't tell you that the people with the complications had cancer, or HIV, or smoked four packs a day, etc. It would give such a better picture if they would tell us that.
It's quite simple actually. They don't WANT you to know that information. If you did, you'd probably be even less concerned than you are now.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
According to an article in today's Des Moines Register, we're now up over 1,200 (identified) cases in Iowa alone. I'm curious what affect (if any) Drake Relays will have on the spread. I admit, I've been tempted to take my kids to hang out at the McDonalds on campus this week.
Better yet, take them to the block party in Madison tonight. The news here is just freaking out about that event. Hundreds or even a couple thousand drunk college kids (including my little sister) will likely be sharing more than beer. Not sure what I think of that. My mom sent her off with hand sanitizer.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hell Yeah! I'll be in Madison tonight!

But I'll be at the Alliant Energy Center.

Regardless, I go to college in Madison four days a week, so hopefully the Mumps will continue spreading in the college group.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
Hell Yeah! I'll be in Madison tonight!

But I'll be at the Alliant Energy Center.

Regardless, I go to college in Madison four days a week, so hopefully the Mumps will continue spreading in the college group.
Actually, that age group is more likely to develop "complications" than young children.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, that age group is more likely to develop "complications" than young children.

Pat
Probably because they don't exactly take the best care of themselves, like going to huge drunk-fests.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiddiqi
Do you mean with one MMR or two? Thanks for the links!
Even with 2 you're only at 80%. (I'm translating their numbers for "unvaxed" into "vaxed but vax didn't take").
This is assuming the CDCs present 80% estimation is correct, too, which it might not be.

This is also assuming the present theory on herd immunity is at least close to correct, which it might not be, either.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:34 PM

On another site I post on there is a lady who's father has mumps who had it also when he was 15. So that's more than once. There is another lady who says that her friend is deaf in one ear from getting the mumps as a child. This doesn't sound like something I would be exposing my child to.... he may never see it again in his lifetime, and even if he does he is likely to not be protected.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 PM

First of all, you are always going to get the "horror stories" from people when there is an "epidemic", and you need to be scared into making sure you are up to date on your vaxes. Heck, it happens with birth - "oh geez, I labored for 6 days and finally needed the epidural which turned into the need for a high-intervention birth." When you start hearing of all these complications stemming from mumps, cp, or other "childhood disease", you need to ask about that person's overall health at the time of infection. Mumps, by itself, is basically a benign disease that causes discomfort and feeling sick - even the CDC will tell you that. When you start getting complications with it, it typically stems from people having other immune issues and/or poor diet/health and living conditions. And yes, it is possible to get something twice, though the chance of that happening tends to be very rare. There are people who get cp more than once; kids/adults who end up with multiple hand-foot-mouth disease outbreaks; people who have their tonsils grow back after having them surgically removed. But these instances are rare and tend to only come out of the woodwork when "epidemics" are at hand. Personally, my boys have both been vax'd with the MMR (we have since stopped all vaxes and won't vax anyone anymore), but I wouldn't be upset if they were able to contract wild mumps and develop life-long immunity.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
First of all, you are always going to get the "horror stories" from people when there is an "epidemic", and you need to be scared into making sure you are up to date on your vaxes.
I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't apply in this case since the lady is an anti-vaxer and was giggling over her dad having the mumps, the conversation went as thus:
Quote:
Mom called me just now and said
" Your Dad just got back from the doctor with a confirmed case of the mumps. That means that Rebecca has been exposed. I hope you aren't mad."

I laughed. I explained that Rebecca already had the mumps when she was little...but maybe she'll bring it home for the other kids to catch it. Maybe we'll all go over and kiss on Poppa.

Mom thought I was joking. I wasn't. She wasn't amused and said "Jenni ,this may be very serious." I laughed again and said "back up and repeat what the doctor wrote out..what Poppa can expect."

" Headache , mild nausea , swollen glands , and a general feeling of malaise. May have a low grade fever." ( I thought this was deadly ?)

"yup. Sounds deadly Mom."

"Jenni...oh. I get your point."
But yes, there is a lot of fear mongering on this issue.... on both sides. I know several ladies who swear their boys developed autism after the 18 month vaccinations.... soooo.... same thing!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
But yes, there is a lot of fear mongering on this issue.... on both sides. I know several ladies who swear their boys developed autism after the 18 month vaccinations.... soooo.... same thing!
So their autism has nothing to do with the vaccines? Because in America, there are about 10,000 parents of autistic children who are certain it does, given that their children stopped talking, etc, shortly after they got their 18 month shot.

User Tag List