I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The CDC finally puts a mumps outbreak link on it's homepage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Get outta here! I have a scar from chicken pox too!!! Actually several of them. One right smack in the middle of my forehead.

Anyone else?
Mine's right on my forehead too.
#63 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilynn
I had chicken pox and mumps as a child, I read somewhere that when the mother has had the actual MUMPS disease they pass on immunity to their child? Has anyone else heard that?

Have a GREAt day ~ Tami
And for how long? DD#3 is still nursing and she is the only one who has not been vaxed (for all the good that seems to do) but i have actually had the mumps (and the stupid MMR : ) So I was wondering if she would be OK should it make it this way.

As for DH, well I think sterility side effect would be welcome at this point since he is balking on getting it done on his own. I am sure he has had the MMR though. But he would have only had one.
#64 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Daily injections of what exactly? (I'm not looking for an answer by the way). But I would imagine injecting whatever it was for seven days straight would do more harm than good, especially when the body is trying to fight off infection . . . hence the fever. I could only imagine what else they were giving her.

Even The WHO states, "measles, itself, does not kill children." Your sister had something else going on in order for complications to arise.

If I had the opportunity to expose my children to wild measles, I wouldn't hesitate.
Sorry I don't know what the injections were, our doctor back in those days was very big on giving needles instead of the tablets they give today. This was in the late 60's or early 70's. I remember always crying not the needle not the needle, at least today injections are a rare thing for children and adults on a visit to the doctor's
#65 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickyMama
If I am correct, those who are at risk for shingles never had a good case of cp as a child.

Dont you worry that the vaccine could prevent your children from getting chicken pox naturally as a child (to incur lifelong immunity) and then as adults the vaccines "protection" which will likely have worn off will increase their chances of getting shingles?
No I got them the injections so they will not get chicken pox as children and then get shingles as adults as my husband did, the chicken pox virus can lay dormant in your system for years and years and break out as shingles in later life. You never get the virus out of your system , like the cold sore virus. Not everyone who has chicken pox as a child will get shingles but there is that risk.
"Available information from healthy childrne and adults suggest that shingles is less common in vaccinated healthy persons compared with persons who have had natural chicken pox"
Quoted from information from a link from another poster on here.
#66 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat
No I got them the injections so they will not get chicken pox as children and then get shingles as adults as my husband did, the chicken pox virus can lay dormant in your system for years and years and break out as shingles in later life. You never get the virus out of your system , like the cold sore virus. Not everyone who has chicken pox as a child will get shingles but there is that risk.
"Available information from healthy childrne and adults suggest that shingles is less common in vaccinated healthy persons compared with persons who have had natural chicken pox"
Quoted from information from a link from another poster on here.
How the heck would they know? It has only been in widespread use for less than 10 years.
#67 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 03:40 AM

#68 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 04:03 AM

deleting by request of quoted poster.
#69 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlyShellandKai
AND as for your take on the Polio epidemic i would research that a little more.

VAXS did NOT wipe out nor elimate diseases
michele
I have been doing my research and as I said I was glad it had almost been eliminated not completely and I said in the Western World.
"Polio is a contagious historically devastating disese that was virtually eliminated from the Western hemisphere in the 2nd half of the 20th century . Although Polio has plagued humans since ancient times it's most extensive outbreak occured in the first half of the 1900's before the vaccination created by Jonal Salk became widely available in 1955.
At the height of the polio epidemic in 1952 nearly 60,000 cases with more than 3,000 deaths were reported in the United States alone. However with widespread vaccination polio occuring through natural infection was eliminated from the United States by 1979 and the Western hemisphere by 1991.
The Future of Polio:
The World health organization is working toward eradicting polio throughout the world. Significant strides have already been made. In 1988 355,000 cases of polio in 125 countries were reported. By the end of 2004 there were just 1,255 cases.
Six countries [ Afganistan, Egypt, India, Niger, Nigeria, and Pakistan] still have polio circulating and the virus could be introduced to other countries. If the polio virus is imported into a country where not enough people have been immunised there'sthe risk that it could spread from person to person, that's what has happened in some countries in Africa and Asia. So until it has been eliminated worldwide it's important to continue vaccinating kids against polio."
#70 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 04:15 AM

Diptheria:

Years ago diptheria was a widespread and feared disease. Through 1920 it struck 150,000 people a year and killed about 15,000 .
Since then these figures have dropped considerably thanks to parents who have gotten their children immunized against this terrible disease.
There were only 918 cases in 1960, 435 in 1970 , 128 in 1976. Today only a few cases occur each year.

Immunization can get rid of diseases or reduce there number. I would hazard a guess that the few cases each year caught would be unvaccinated children [ I do not know that but it stands to reason].

Where would the world be without the smallpox vaccination???
You do not hear of smallpox in this day and age.
#71 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 04:25 AM

Do you ever wonder where the bubonic plague went without a vaccine? Sanitation and less crowded living conditions is the REAL reason for the decline of most diseases including smallpox.
#72 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 04:31 AM

Quote:
she had to have daily injections to keep her temperature down for a whole week, I remember my mum telling me this when I balked about having a vaccination for something [ can't remember what].
Oh yeah, I remember those docs : the same ones that use to draw 10 cc's blood from the parent and inject 10 cc's in each buttock of a child with measles.

Mainstream too. Nowadays they call it snake-oil.

No wonder your sister was so sick.

Quote:
As for my husband, I also know a few others who had chicken pox at an older age who also got very sick. I have a scar on my face from the chicken pox I had as a 5 year old.
Yeah, one of mine turned into a keloid scar. No big deal though. I just wish the doc would agree to take it off.

Apart from that, I didn't miss a beat during that time.

Quote:
Vaccinations maynot work for everyone but would sure be giving you better coverage as not vaccinating and the illness would be milder.
Having read books on smallpox and the disfiguring and deaths that that illness caused I am glad it is gone,
You can have my lot as well. Sounds like you could do with them.
Quote:
I also read a book about the polio epidemic in the 30's that was just frightening , also very glad that disease is pretty much wiped out too [ at least in Western countries].
Funny that. I suggest you try JR Paul's A History of Poliomyelitis, and then read one written by your very own Sister Kenny.

That might put things into a slightly more balanced perspective.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#73 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Alley cat, shingles is not smallpox. Shingles is nothing more than a localized skin rash, smallpox is a bit more serious.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#74 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

And I have a deep white scar right in the middle of my forehead from chicken pox too. It looks like a bindi.

I had my son vaxed for CP, and I regret it. Every new parent gets with the belief that all vaccines are 'good'. I can now see how the medical community has no respect or regard for patients making informed decisions about their own medical care. Now I know better. Now I know to automatically distrust medical advice until it's proven to me that it is the best option.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#75 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
Alley cat, shingles is not smallpox. Shingles is nothing more than a localized skin rash, smallpox is a bit more serious.
Yes I know smallpox is not shingles I never said it was. Smallpox is an illness that was irraticated due to vaccinations, it caused death and disfigurement throughout the ages.
#76 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara

You can have my lot as well. Sounds like you could do with them. and then read one written by your very own Sister Kenny.

That might put things into a slightly more balanced perspective.
I have no idea what you are saying [sister Kenny?? You can have my lot as well sounds like you could do with them??]
Sorry you have lost me.
#77 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
Do you ever wonder where the bubonic plague went without a vaccine? Sanitation and less crowded living conditions is the REAL reason for the decline of most diseases including smallpox.
bubonic plague yes probably, smallpox no that was vaccinated away.
#78 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
No I got them the injections so they will not get chicken pox as children and then get shingles as adults as my husband did, the chicken pox virus can lay dormant in your system for years and years and break out as shingles in later life. You never get the virus out of your system , like the cold sore virus.
You do realize, don't you, that the CP vaccine is itself a live virus? That can live in the body for years and years? And that its effectiveness in preventing CP is only estimated to be about 65% anyway?

Are you aware of the research that indicates that as CP vaccination rates go up, shingles incidence also increases? You'll want to read this abstract from the International Journal of Toxicology. But just to break it down for you, vaccinating your children makes you and your husband MORE likely to experience shingles, and really isn't doing much to protect your kids from shingles in later life either. Researchers predict that it will take 70 years of fully vaccinating every man woman and child against CP in order to truly eliminate CP/shingles -- in the meantime, there will be a highly INCREASED rate of shingles due to the unexpected consequences of reducing natural circulation of CP virus.
#79 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
bubonic plague yes probably, smallpox no that was vaccinated away.
And what about TB? TB is a highly infectious and very very serious illness. There's no vaccine used in the US, and while there have been some experimental vaccines against TB used in other parts of the world for the most part they have been determined to be ineffective and harmful. There are actually plenty of people who have TB in the US -- mainly very low-income, poorly-nourished drug-users or alcoholics, street-people. Somehow the rest of us don't get sick with TB, even though we are not vaccinated and even though we surely have opportunities to be exposed to it just in daily life (if you live in a city). The people who get TB are people with very poor health status and living conditions already.

This is what people are getting at when they say that vaccines really did not do as much (if anything) to reduce infectious illness over the last 50 years as they get credit for.
#80 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
How the heck would they know? It has only been in widespread use for less than 10 years.

But the CDC has "available information" aniT.

Available information from just three (3) cities in the United States. Now just imagine if shingles were nationally notifiable . . .

#81 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 AM

Sounds like you are here to debate All vaccines Alley cat. This board is for those wanting answers, information about vaccinations. Oh and the rise of meningitis WAS related to the DPT!

Michele
#82 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 AM

We had rubella here last year, and now mumps.... hmm people are going to start questioning these vaxxes
#83 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I'm worried about that too. What if DS does get mumps? Should I avoid taking him to the doctor and hide it? Does mumps require medical attention? Will they be like, how did he get mumps? :
I've not read all the responses so I might be repeated something already discussed, but I had mumps when I was 6 months old. My 5 yo brother came down with it, then my 3 yo sister, and even though my mom tried to keep me separated from them, I got it anyway. Mom said it was REALLY miserable having a 6 mo (not to mention 2 other kids) having mumps, but she (and all of us) survived!

Mom never took us to the doctor for dx and confirmation, something that has haunted me and my sibs for the rest of our growing up years. B/c there was no "proof" we had the disease, we still had to get the mumps shot. (I suppose they could have done a titer, but my mom never thought of that, and it's not like the doctor would have volunteered the info.)

DS was complaining yesterday that his neck hurt, and I was secretly hoping it was mumps. But when I looked closer, he had a sore red spot from when he rammed one of his cars into his neck.
#84 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite
We had rubella here last year, and now mumps.... hmm people are going to start questioning these vaxxes

A vaxed first grader in my son's school got shingles (you read that right, first grade) and then passed the chicken pox to vaxed children in the school.
#85 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 10:48 AM

I'm more concerned about mercury and other toxic heavy metals already in my children's body than cp, mumps, measles, or most of these mild childhood diseases. I think there is something to say for the natural immunity after a person has an illness. I believe that it makes the child's immune system stronger to actually have the illness and go through it. My children are immunocompromised, mumps is in our area, four out of five are non vaxed, and I am losing no sleep. Slept GREAT last night. I'm not worried at all. If ice cream makes children with mumps feel better, I have an ice cream maker and some soy milk, and can make soy ice cream.....my biggest concern would be...which flavor of ice cream would most please everyone??? Maybe Vanilla.
#86 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 02:22 PM

why do people insist on coming onto threads and telling people with perfectly good vision that the sky is yellow with blue polka dots .......???
#87 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:

You are right in that smallpox and shingles are totally different but believe me...shingles is WAY more than just a localized skin rash
#88 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Shingles can be very serious and painful.

However the CP vaccine does not seem very effective.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#89 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite
We can only wish! But I know the CDC will find some way to say "SEE...we need more vaxing"
#90 of 550 Old 04-15-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
Shingles can be very serious and painful.

However the CP vaccine does not seem very effective.
IF the CP vax is supposed to reduce shingles why are they making a shingles vaccine? Seems to me if the CP one was doing it's job, the other wouldn't be needed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page