I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is now the second page on the CDC website showing the "new" efficacy figures for the mumps vaccines (click "open" and it will open up to a Word doc):

Joint Statement from the American College Health Association and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
http://www.acha.org/Mumps_statement_4-06.rtf

The effectiveness of MMR against mumps is approximately 80% after one dose and approximately 90% after two doses
#182 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Looking over the CDC recomendations for mumps exposure has me wondering if Michigan has an 'outbreak' will my non-immunized kids be excluded from school until the last case makes it through the school? Hmmm... I better start thinking of what I will do with my kids if they are NOT allowed in school. I guess we will have lots of teaching to do at home. They attend a large private christian school.
THANKS ~ I have learned so much from these boards!
#183 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Eg, when syphillis first appeared, it caused oozing sores from neck to knees, and was easily spread by casual contact and from mothers to children.
Just for the record, there is a disease called Yaws or Frambesia that is caused by Treponema pallidum subspecies pertenue. This is a nonvenereal disease that provides some cross immunity to syphilis. Infection is by contact and vectors such as flies. It is a disease of impoverished children, and is noted in warm tropical countries. The syndrome started with the formation of a "mother yaw" at the site of entry into the body. Months later, secondary lesions appear, ulcerate and heal. Tertiary lesions of the skin and bones can develop later. From what information I can find, this is the syphilis of the battle fields and that was transmitted by casual contact.

Quote:
Today, however, people usually live for many years with syphillis, and it is considered to be transmitted only by sexual contact.
Syphilis is caused by treponema pallidum pallidum. There are three phases to syphilis: Stage 1 is primary syphilis: a chancre appears at the site of initial contace. It is painless, circular and purplish with a firm raised margin. At this stage the treponeme is alive. Regional lymphadenopathy develops about 1-2 weeks after the chancre appears. The chancre will disappear in 2-6 weeks. Secondary syphilis occurs weeks to months later mostly in people not treated for the initial infection. it is characterized by a copper-colored rash over the entire body. Flu-like symptoms may be present. Tertiary syphilis may occur 5-40 years later in about 1/3 of those previously untreated. Granulomatous lesions called gummas characterize this stage. These lesions are in the organs: hear, lungs, and even the brain. There is not treatment for Tertiary syphilis. Death is due to destruction of vital organs. If the lesions are in the brain, the diseased individual will display symptoms that mimic many psychological disorders.

Yes, I'm a font of bizarre information. I work in a microbiology lab and some of the information managed to stick.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#184 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 09:10 PM

I am enjoying this thread! Still reading through the whole thing and BOY am I glad I told my ped only yesterday that we wouldn't be vaxing dd2 anymore.

Like a lot of people I guess, until recently I just brought my dds to the doctor and let them do it - - like a freakin' robot. Didn't even question it. I am sooooo happy we're not putting them through that anymore but I still have a lot to learn.
#185 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilynn
Looking over the CDC recomendations for mumps exposure has me wondering if Michigan has an 'outbreak' will my non-immunized kids be excluded from school until the last case makes it through the school?
These are the guidelines are for Iowa:

What is the guidance for staff in a school?
Children K-12 should have two MMR's with few medical or religious exemptions. Teachers and all staff should have their immune status verified (vaccination or serologic evidence of immunity). All staff should be educated on hygiene, prevention and signs and symptoms of disease. IDPH has a template letter for school/parental notification of mumps cases. It is up to the school whether or not they utilize letters to inform parents of mumps activity or individually call the few students who may be unimmunized and susceptible. NO asymptomatic students or staff should be excluded from school.
#186 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
I am sooooo happy we're not putting them through that anymore but I still have a lot to learn.

. . . I learn something new on this board every day.
#187 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 PM

The CDC site says they can go back to school once they're vaccinated? I thought it takes the vaccine 2-3 weeks to kick in?

Quote:
So far cases are reported in Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Wisconsin...
However, the CDC said it was investigating cases in seven other states.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...h/3805692.html
#188 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 PM

First off, ya'll gave me some very good reasons NOT to vaccinate my dd. Well, okay, I stopped at 6 months, but was thinking of getting her vaccinated after she was 2.
Considering that most of these diseases are soooo much more dangerous around puberty, wouldn't it be more practical to vaccinate then?
I had CP as a kid, and yup, I have scars. So what? I also took a huge chunk of my skin off shaving my legs, that left a much bigger scar My sister was sick as a dog, because she was already 13 and has hypothyroidism. Meanwhile my brother and I were bouncing off the walls from boredom

Interesting note about the Strep throat/scarlet fever connection. I really didn't know that! My dd and I both got Strep throat a couple weeks ago. is there a connection to Strep and say, allergies or sinsusitis?
I also wanted to add that when I heard the newstory about the Mumps outbreak, the news said that it was a strain of the Mumps common in the UK. not North America.
I didn't realize that germs couldn't cross the border
Either way, I hope it makes people think a little bit more about the effectiveness of vaccinating.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#189 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 11:00 PM

AHA! I am SO glad this thread is here!!! And to give a hug to Chelle ! You rock! We met at the LLL conference in Nebraska, and most of the women there seemed to be from the bigger cities, so it's rad to see natural mama warriors living rurally in the midwest. I imagine it's VERY hard to find good info locally out there - something I really take forgranted living in such a progressive city. That's awesome you are coming over to this forum to figure this stuff out! I had no clue about mumps, honestly, until tonight:

My mom (in Omaha) I just talked to on the phone a couple hours ago, we were planning a trip for me and my boys to fly out there in a week or so. Then she says (with a sound of doom in her voice), that I'll need to get the kids vaccinated before we come out there. I just laugh . She's convinced everyone is going to die from mumps who isn't vaccinated (also said the EXACT same thing as a PP quoted that it was the unvaxed kids who are spreading it - MUST have heard from the news). This is the same woman who whole-heartedly believes we MUST drink 3 glasses of cow's milk every day or we'll get osteoperosis (well, the dairy counsel says so on TV, and they wouldn't lie! : ). Anyhow, she is quite seriously concerned (that's not a strong enough word!) about this and my completely unvaxed kids .

Not that I'm worried, but, like, when DS got the West Nile virus a couple years ago, she was calling us crying several times a day, assuming he was on his death bed . So, since I didn't know anything about mumps, I had no response for her, except my intuition that it was mostly previously vaxed folks that were getting it, but she didn't buy that.

I'd love to go visit her now just to try and get the kids exposed, but the chances are slim, and also my mom would probably turn me in to child services for abuse or something. Guess we'll postpone that trip

Anyhow, I'm so glad about and thankful for this thread!!! Glad these forums are here to hear from women who have their heads screwed on correctly

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#190 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 PM

i've learned so much from reading this thread! thank you for all the great links. our ds is selectivly vaxed. we're not planning on doing the MMR or CP. i've read enough to see that the pro's far outweigh the con's. why poke your kid if there's no good cause.

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#191 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children
Anyhow, I'm so glad about and thankful for this thread!!! Glad these forums are here to hear from women who have their heads screwed on correctly

ditto.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#192 of 550 Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 PM

Julie! You moved! I loved Asheville when I visited relatives there. I have location envy. Thank you for your kind words. It is very difficult swimming against the mainstream in a very small and conservative town. I'm alone in my hippie-mama ways here so much of the time.

I discussed the situation with my husband and was disappointed he didn't put up much of a fight. I was looking forward to the challenge of winning him over with my argument of "It's better he get them now as a youngster than later when he's 21 and in college, living on cold pizza and keg beer and too little sleep." I didn't even get to say that! I feel better prepared now to deal with mumps should my little guy get hot and lumpy. If I lose sleep tonight, it won't be over immunizations. Thank you all for your knowledge and your patience. It is appreciated.

(I'll be back when the next disease breaks out so we can do this all over again. )
#193 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dimitrizmom, thanks for the info. Shows you what I get from reading vintage science books. You should see my turn of the century entomology collection. sorry everyone else for going OT.

Long Island, do you have a link to the quote that is in your sig? I sent it to dh, who is not in complete agreement with me on this issue, and he was interested to see the whole report.

As for scarring, I never had CP, but am immune anyway. I have a 1" diameter keloid from the smallpox vax. The constant comments and questions from other kids whenever I wore a swimsuit never really bothered me. Oddly, I recall having to explain to lots of kids what a vaccination was.
#194 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemarie
Before I edited my original post in this thread, I included a line that said, "I'm a mother, not a scientist." I wish I'd left it in.
I'm a mother not a scientist as well. And to me it wasn't rude but a perfectly logical question. That you interpretted it otherwise is a surprise, but also not a surprise. Sometimes, nothing surprises me here any more....I don't happen to be a mind reader either.

Quote:
So, for me, they are in a class of "Unknown Diseases" for me and for a lot of people I know.
Then you could have said that.

If you had said "It's a disease that is unknown to me" I would have understood. To just say its an "unknown disease" implies a huge raft of implications like "They don't know what causes it" or "most people don't know about it"... it gave me the impression that perhaps you came from a country that hadn't had mumps in living memory.

I simply and plainly didn't understand what you meant.

Quote:
MT - I don't know that the women in my family are immune to Rubella or that their fetuses would be guarded against exposure to Rubella. I do care about other people and their health and don't believe all vaccinations to be 100% harmful, useless or irresponsible. While it may not be logical or reasonable, I would feel responsible if someone died or suffered long-term, irreversible damage because of my decision not to vaccinate my child.
I'm not saying its not logical or reasonable. What I'm saying is that in an age when mothers are supposed to be tested for rubella prior to pregnancy, and when we are talking about people taking responsibility for their own health, any WOMAN who didn't know her immune status prior to pregnancy is irresponsible in the first place.

Or if you want to look at it from the majority stakeholder belief POV, theoretically if your family are all up to date with their vaccines why would you assume that they might catch rubella from your child?

Dmitrizmom, has anyone yet figured out why it is that the BCG vaccine, while giving no protection against TB whatsoever, gives 50% protection against leprosy?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#195 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 04:46 AM

. . .
#196 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 04:48 AM

. . .
#197 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 04:49 AM

. . . sorry, no idea why it keeps adding a post when I edit
#198 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 04:54 AM

. . .
#199 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 04:55 AM

. . . sorry
#200 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella
Long Island, do you have a link to the quote that is in your sig? I sent it to dh, who is not in complete agreement with me on this issue, and he was interested to see the whole report.
He can see thousands of similar reports! For the latest reports, work your way back from the last page. Let me know if you want me to break "screaming syndrome" down by death. There are quite a few for 2005 alone.

VAERS reports are limited in the amount of space they have for an actual description and what's in my siggy is the entire description. There is other general information contained in a VAERS report, which you will see in these links.

Just as little FYI for those wishing to search the database:

It's important to use the appropriate search words. For instance, I used the words "scream" and other "cry," respectively. You could also use "screaming" and "crying," however, it may miss reports that contain text such as "he screamed for 12 hours straight" or "her crying was high-pitched." Therefore, I used "scream" in one search and "cry" in another. You could also search other terms that mean cry and even more reports may pop up. You could search "moan" and you'll get 125 reports, some which include screaming, some with crying.

Reports can be searched by a number of variables such as pre-existing conditions and medications. Just a note: sometimes VAERS reporters interchange "history" and "preexisting conditions," so you may need to cross-reference using those variables.

Searching under "cry" generates a 10,334 reports: http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/fin...O=1&PERPAGE=10

Searching under "scream" generates 7,845 reports: http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/fin...O=1&PERPAGE=10

Searching "wail" generated 13 reports: http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/fin...O=1&PERPAGE=10
#201 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 AM

When the FDA says that only 1-10 percent of vaccine reactions/deaths are reported, it wouldn't surprise me if it's only 1 percent. Afterall, how many times has a mother come here with a story about her child being vaccine injured or killed-only to be told by her doctor that there's no connection. It's infuriating.
#202 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella
I have a 1" diameter keloid from the smallpox vax. The constant comments and questions from other kids whenever I wore a swimsuit never really bothered me. Oddly, I recall having to explain to lots of kids what a vaccination was.
I also have a good scar from my smallpox vax... It's not quite as big as yours, but all throughout my teens and twenties, when people saw it they said, "OMG, what IS that?!" Like it's some horrible looking scar! I was always really surprised that people reacted that way.

I remember the big, huge scab I wore to kindergarten and preschool after the vax - wasn't that a live vax? And couldn't I have been shedding? I got it in the mid-70s after they stopped giving it. Our family doc was very smart about most things (like he didn't take tonsils out just for the heck of it), but for some reason he was really concerned about smallpox making a comeback.

Oh, and I don't have any cp scars, but my sister has a few small ones on her face. Very small. I will definitely take the illness over the vax ANY day!
#203 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM

Associated Press
4/19/06

Mumps Hits the Midwest, More Vaccine Promised
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

When the track and field team from Loras College in Dubuque made the six-hour drive to St. Louis for a Washington University track meet, the runners were sent right back home. "Washington decided that because of the mumps they didn't want schools from Dubuque competing," said Tim Calderwood, Loras' sports information director. Dubuque is in northeast Iowa, one of the areas of the state hit hardest by the mumps.

Just 37 of the college's 1,700 students have caught mumps since the first case surfaced in February, according to the school's health clinic.

Iowa public health officials say the outbreak of the annoying but rarely serious disease is no reason to cancel events or start widespread immunization clinics.

Once a childhood rite of passage, mumps has been on the wane since a vaccine came along in the late 1960s.

Mumps has been on the wane since the vaccine came along, hmmm? Not exactly.
#204 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 09:13 AM

long island - is that not correct? It would make sense to me. That's when CP became "on the wane" too, right, once there was a vaccine, hardly anyone got it anymore?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#205 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM

On another yahoo group I'm on for unschoolers, someone posted about the mumps (in a pretty scared sort of manner) and said this ...
- Those who have "young adult" children that were vaccinated before the 90's -
probably only received ONE dose - and are AT RISK! - and need another booster.
(Double check you're children's vaccine records and see if they had the second
dose. ESPECIALLY at risk are young women of child bearing age who may be
pregnant and exposed. -

Is that true? The part about getting only one dose seems off since I thought anyone was at risk unless they were completely up-to-date, and of course some even with all current vaxes are still at risk. Also the part about young women. Any insight? Or has this all already been discussed, I'll admit I didn't read all 11 pages, only about 6 of them

#206 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
On another yahoo group I'm on for unschoolers, someone posted about the mumps (in a pretty scared sort of manner) and said this ...

- Those who have "young adult" children that were vaccinated before the 90's probably only received ONE dose - and are AT RISK! - and need another booster.
The second dose MMR is not a booster.

From the CDC:

Why is a second dose of MMR necessary?
About 2%-5% of persons do not develop measles immunity after the first dose of vaccine. This occurs for a variety of reasons. The second dose is to provide another chance to develop measles immunity for persons who did not respond to the first dose.
#207 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
long island - is that not correct?
On the CDC's What Would Happen If We Stopped Vaccinating page, it states:

An estimated 212,000 cases of mumps occurred in the U.S. in 1964. After vaccine licensure in 1967, reports of mumps decreased rapidly.

When the vaccine was introduced, the incidence of mumps were down to 152,000 from the 212,000 in 1964. The CDC conveniently gives us the higher incidence rate in 1964 . . . THREE YEARS prior to the introduction of the vaccine.

According to the CDC, it wasn't put into routine use until 1977.
#208 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 AM

I've not been keeping up with the news, I just got word of this "epidemic" this morning watching Good Morning America. My favorite part had to be where they were telling people to go out and get vaccinated to protect themselves, however, the doctor being interviewed said that the people 50 and older usually don't have to worry since they "carry lifetime immunity from catching the disease before vaccines were enforced", but if you're 50 or younger you're encouraged to get the vaccine so that you don't get mumps. Does that make any sense to you??? Wouldn't you think that, gee, if actually GETTING the disease carries LIFETIME immunity while the outbreak is occuring among the VACCINATED, wouldn't that mean that the vaccine DOES NOT confer lifetime immunity and I should not get the shot and just let nature take over?? Seems logical to me.
#209 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama
I will never forget how my cousin looked when he had mumps at around two years old. I remember him in is in his crib with a rag tied around his face and he looked exactly like the Man in the Moon with a toothache. It is actually is bringing tears to my eyes because he died a week ago.

ETA, this was in the sixties, he did not die of mumps.
I am very sorry about your cousin Uccomama. Blessings.

DC
#210 of 550 Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page