I'm thrilled! Mumps keeps spreading! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mumps Outbreak Should Remind Us All of the Importance of Vaccinations

Quote:
We should not become lax and heed the unwarranted and misdirected calls of some anti-vaccine advocates to abandon immunization of children based on hypothetical or minuscule side effects dangers, with the real risks from outbreaks of known, deadly, and communicable diseases always lurking. Parents should seek science-based information about the benefits and risks of vaccinations and consider what real risks they assume by not vaccinating their children -- and in general should think carefully before jumping on the bandwagon and attacking a proven, useful technology or pharmaceutical that has contributed to our high quality of life.

With our good health ought to come a sense of responsibility that we not become short-sighted about the scientific achievements that have made our wellbeing possible.
http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsI...ews_detail.asp
#242 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingogirl
Mumps Outbreak Should Remind Us All of the Importance of Vaccinations

Officials at the CDC have indicated, however, that the outbreak could have been worse, noting that if we didn't have a high rate of two-dose coverage, we'd be seeing thousands of cases, or tens of thousands of cases.
And what makes the CDC think we won't be seeing "thousands, or tens of thousands of cases?"
#243 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 AM

Long Island, thanks so much for the VAERS info.
#244 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingogirl
For weeks, health experts have been warning college students, because their age group is most susceptible to the mumps.
This is from the quote that dingogirl posted the previous page ... have they begun to think about why college aged students are the most susceptible? Could it be that the mumps vax, for what little affect it has on immunity, has a limited time warranty, and these kids/young adults have passed that time frame? Reading the above quote would make me think, "Now why is it that people aged 18-22 (approximately) are the most susceptible to mumps?"

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#245 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim22
I asked our pediatrician about the mumps outbreak today. I asked him why so many vax'd people are getting it. His reply was something along the lines of, "The 64% is people with mumps who had the vaccine. If they look at the total number of people in the affected area who had the vaccine, it would be a much lower percentage. There would be many more cases without the vaccine."

(I understood what he was saying, but can't remember his exact words. Does it make sense the way I wrote it?)
What your doc is saying is that if you took the entire population and split them into two groups, the vaxed and unvaxed, the percentage in the vaxed group that had mumps would be way lower than the percentage in the non-vaxed group. This is silly, because first of all, your vaxed group will be huge because everyone vaxes and it's really such a small number of cases, and secondly, the vaxers WANT their children to get mumps! Duh! I know I do! They aren't afraid of the mumps and don't want protection from it- other than life long immunity that their own body will naturally produce.

Actually, I wonder if there isn't a higher percentage for the non-vaxed group. Do you really think they are all taking their kids to the doc, since they aren't freaking out about this supposedly horrible deady disease?
#246 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!! NOT vaxing provides better immunity than vaxing!!!!!!

CDC =

Me = laughup
: :
#247 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 05:40 PM

Whew. Finally got through the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim22
I asked our pediatrician about the mumps outbreak today. I asked him why so many vax'd people are getting it. His reply was something along the lines of, "The 64% is people with mumps who had the vaccine. If they look at the total number of people in the affected area who had the vaccine, it would be a much lower percentage. There would be many more cases without the vaccine."

(I understood what he was saying, but can't remember his exact words. Does it make sense the way I wrote it?)
That makes a lot of sense. So, if 100 people got mumps, 64 of them were vaxed, and 36 were not. BUT, if we talk about a group of 1000 people, and 100 of those got mumps. If 90% of the whole population were vaxed, there would be 900 vaxed and 100 unvaxed. Then 64 out of 900 (7%) vaxed got mumps, and 34 out of 100 unvaxed (34%) got mumps.
I think. Does that make sense? lol. I could be wrong on something important here, but that's how I'm seeing it.

That being said, I got one dose of mmr for ds before I thought to question vaxes, and I will NOT get another one. I'll believe that vaxes help prevent the diseases, but at what cost? There aren't even studies comparing vaxed and never vaxed individuals, for pete's sake! lol

Does anyone happen to know what has happened to the mumps vax coverage rates? Have they gone down? Up? Stayed the same? See what I'm getting at? If they are about the same, then why are there more people getting mumps??? kwim?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#248 of 550 Old 04-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy
Whew. Finally got through the whole thing.

That makes a lot of sense. So, if 100 people got mumps, 64 of them were vaxed, and 36 were not. BUT, if we talk about a group of 1000 people, and 100 of those got mumps. If 90% of the whole population were vaxed, there would be 900 vaxed and 100 unvaxed. Then 64 out of 900 (7%) vaxed got mumps, and 34 out of 100 unvaxed (34%) got mumps.
I think. Does that make sense? lol. I could be wrong on something important here, but that's how I'm seeing it.

That being said, I got one dose of mmr for ds before I thought to question vaxes, and I will NOT get another one. I'll believe that vaxes help prevent the diseases, but at what cost? There aren't even studies comparing vaxed and never vaxed individuals, for pete's sake! lol

Does anyone happen to know what has happened to the mumps vax coverage rates? Have they gone down? Up? Stayed the same? See what I'm getting at? If they are about the same, then why are there more people getting mumps??? kwim?
Great 1000th post!!
#249 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
You mean vax coverage since the outbreak? I'm sure it's gone way up, actually! They're doing mass vax things at colleges and whatnot, yes? But even so, the numbers are still going up because the vax doesn't take effect for a while after you get it, like several days, so if you've already been exposed and then go get vaxed, it's a pointless stick to the arm (insert evil laugh)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#250 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 12:59 AM

I thought that according to the CDC, MMR coverage in USA has never been higher than right now?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#251 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 01:12 AM

a bit o/t here, but did anyone catch the story that one of the state health departments (iowa?) was going to institute fines for those who didn't get the vax? i saw a headline earlier but forgot to save it to go back to read . . . . . .

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#252 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 01:21 AM

Yeah, it was posted here, and I asked the question, since when was it law to fine parents $25.00 per day that their kids were not vaccinated.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#253 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiekat
a bit o/t here, but did anyone catch the story that one of the state health departments (iowa?) was going to institute fines for those who didn't get the vax? i saw a headline earlier but forgot to save it to go back to read . . . . . .
I know that the Milwaukee County School District is sending out letters to parents of children who are not vaccinated advising them that they are already accruing fines of $25 per day that the child is not vaccinated. Apparently quite a few who have sent in completed exemption forms are getting them too. Rumor has it that the form information is not actually being entered into the school district's computer filing system. : I don't live in that county, but a friend of mine does and I am pretty sure she'll raise hell if she gets a letter.
#254 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Yeah, it was posted here, and I asked the question, since when was it law to fine parents $25.00 per day that their kids were not vaccinated.
I don't really think it is the law. I think that they are betting that no one would have the guts or the money to stand up against it. I could be wrong though.
#255 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
I don't really think it is the law. I think that they are betting that no one would have the guts or the money to stand up against it. I could be wrong though.
They are going to use this as a test. If there is no opposition that's what they'll do in other areas - I would think.
#256 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
They are going to use this as a test. If there is no opposition that's what they'll do in other areas - I would think.
unfortunately, the majority of those getting the letters in Milwaukee are those who are living in poverty in the inner city. Besides the obvious of not having the money to oppose it, they may not even have the resources available to them to know that they are being, uh, screwed.
#257 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
unfortunately, the majority of those getting the letters in Milwaukee are those who are living in poverty in the inner city. Besides the obvious of not having the money to oppose it, they may not even have the resources available to them to know that they are being, uh, screwed.
That's the way it's done!

I have seen similar things many times in my life.
#258 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 11:32 PM

Slowly slowly boil the frog.

#259 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Slowly slowly boil the frog.
what?
#260 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
That's the way it's done!

I have seen similar things many times in my life.
I think it's awful. I guess something like over 43% of Milwaukee's inner city kids are unvaccinated. So, how do they explain, with such a high UN-vaxed rate, why they didn't all die already from all those so called deadly diseases? Did I mention that, so far, the cases of the mumps in Milwaukee aren't even among those in the inner city?? They are mostly adults and some college students. :
#261 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
what?
You know that saying. You put a frog in cold water, gradually turn up the heat ever so slowly and they eventually keel over and succumb to heat stroke.

The whole vaccine issue is the same. Except you can substitute the word frog with sheeple. Like someone said, they didn't realise how brainwashed they had been until after they had read here awhile.

#262 of 550 Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 PM

When people don't know anything, they just comply because they assume that experts know everything. It's easier to go with the flow, but another analogy is in the saying that only dead fish go with the flow.

#263 of 550 Old 04-23-2006, 02:51 AM

i've seen you use that dead fish quote before, MT, and i think it is one of my very favourites.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#264 of 550 Old 04-25-2006, 03:51 PM

From the Iowa DOH:

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/common/p...ion_042006.asp

With the highest number of Iowa mumps cases occurring in the young adult (18through 22 years old) population, the Iowa Department of Public Health, and its local public health partners, have announced a statewide campaign to vaccinate those at high risk of mumps. Iowa has seen 975 cases of the illness this year.

Two doses of the mumps vaccine is the cornerstone of mumps prevention.

Since some of the cases in Iowa have occurred in people who haven't been vaccinated against mumps, or who have only received one dose, this campaign will focus on getting those groups the mumps vaccine. The focus is on the 35 counties that have college or university facilities, but will include non-students in the targeted age group as well.

This campaign needs to be accomplished by the end of this month, before students return home for the summer. Parents can also help by encouraging their children in the targeted age group to get vaccinated.
#265 of 550 Old 04-25-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
The mumps vaccine, part of the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) shot, is 90 to 95 percent effective in protecting against mumps, if the person receives two doses.
They are still holding strong to the 90-95% efficiancy(sp?) of the vax. Interesting that there really hasn't been anyone outspoken asking how so many vax'd people presumably are contracting the mumps if the vax is so effective. Or no one is asking how long the vax works if so many 18-22 year olds are now getting it after more-than-likely having been vax'd as a child.

#266 of 550 Old 04-25-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
They are still holding strong to the 90-95% efficiancy(sp?) of the vax.
Oh yes . . . every website has a different efficacy rate.

The CDC has been "quietly" letting people know the efficacy rate is now "approximately 80%" with one dose and "approximately 90%" with two doses.
#267 of 550 Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM

Have they admitted or released any new numbers giving the %age of people with the mumps that were previously vax'd? Probably not ... then they would have to account for why their math is so off, huh?

#268 of 550 Old 04-25-2006, 04:06 PM

Any one else notice that the list of possible reactions to the vax is longer than the symptoms of the disease itself? And many of them are the same. They also note that it's rare to get brain damage, meningitis, etc from the vax, but forget to mention it's rare to get from the disease.
#269 of 550 Old 04-25-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
"Now why is it that people aged 18-22 (approximately) are the most susceptible to mumps?"
Because they are the ones living on college campuses, many 50 to a frat/soroity house and in close quarters.
#270 of 550 Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children
You mean vax coverage since the outbreak? I'm sure it's gone way up, actually! They're doing mass vax things at colleges and whatnot, yes? But even so, the numbers are still going up because the vax doesn't take effect for a while after you get it, like several days, so if you've already been exposed and then go get vaxed, it's a pointless stick to the arm (insert evil laugh)
I meant, before the outbreak. Had the coverage rate gone down? That seems like the first thing that many people say. Because the vax works, so if people are getting mumps, its because there's so many more people who aren't vaxed.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page