MMR vs. M, M, and R - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend's 13-month old is currently vaxed on schedule, other than the MMR. She delayed that at his last appointment because he was sick (with rotavirus). Some of you may recall my thread from about a month ago where I mentioned this friend's pediatrician telling her that it was important for her baby to get the MMR anyway because they were going to be coming to visit me in Amsterdam. I guess the ped thought there's no clean water outside of the US. Whatever.

Anyway, she wrote to me today to tell me that they heard that their baby's chances of having a bad reaction to the MMR go down a lot after 18 months of age, so they're going to delay until then. She said they also have the option of giving individual shots instead of the MMR.

Of course, I'd love to see her skip it altogether, but I want to respond to the specific things she brought up first, since I see her mentioning it to me as an invitation for me to provide some more info, since she's fully aware of my stance on vaxes.

I have a few questions:

1) I know I've read here that the individual shots for one of the combo shots aren't actually available for babies, but I'm not sure if that's the DTaP or the MMR. Can she really get M, M and R shots individually for a toddler?

2) Do those individual shots contain thimerosal?

3) I'm guessing that getting the individual shots is worse since I'm guessing that the baby will get three times the toxic crap that way. Would someone confirm or deny that?

4) Is there any truth to her belief that the MMR is safer after 18 months?

I think I'm going to take the approach of recommending one of her two choices (MMR or separate shots) based on what I learn here, and then also providing some information about the severity of the diseases and the health benefits of measles in an attempt to get her wondering about why she's subjecting him to the vaccines in the first place.

Just so you know where she stands mentally in terms of vaxes right now, at present her biggest deciding factor between the MMR and separate shots is the pain of one shot versus three.

Thanks.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-15-2006, 10:23 AM

yes, there really are individual vaccines available for M, M and R. Not all peds carry them, and not all are willing to order them (since they'd have to order an entire case). Our ped regularly stocks the single antigen vaccines.

It is my understanding that they do not contain thimerosal. I believe that live virus vaccines (such as M, M, and R, and varicella) are unable to be processed with thimerosal because of the live virus contents.

I wouldn't necessarily say that getting them seperately is "worse" than getting them together. I'd say it's about the same risk. With the combination vaccine the risk lies more in the fact that the immune system is battling 3 viruses at once. With the single vaccines, yes...the child does get 3x the other potentially harmful vaccine ingredients.

I don't think the risk is any less at 18 months than it would be at an earlier age. However, any reaction or regression would be more apparent. At 15 months my ds was still going through the phase where he would acquire words and then push them to the back of his mind for a few weeks before he'd say them again. If anything I would recommend waiting until age 2 or later.

My ds just turned 2 and has not yet recieved the MMR. We are vaccinating with the minimum of what is required for school entry in our state. I still have not decided about the MMR because for some reason, that and varicella are the 2 vaccines that send my mommy instincts into an uproar.
If we do decide to proceed with the single vaccines, I will space them out by a year or more.
#3 of 4 Old 04-15-2006, 12:06 PM

I got my daughter the M, M, and R separately to rule out vaccine reactions. I spaced them out a month apart, as well as any other vaccines.

#4 of 4 Old 04-15-2006, 02:56 PM

1) I know I've read here that the individual shots for one of the combo shots aren't actually available for babies, but I'm not sure if that's the DTaP or the MMR. Can she really get M, M and R shots individually for a toddler?
Yes, but she should also find out about her state immunization requirements for school entry if she doesn't plan on exempting her child.

Most states only require one (1) dose of mumps and rubella for kindergarten entry, so she may only need to separate once for those. Also, if she does the first dose measles (with MMR or M), she can get a titer check done before kindergarten in order to avoid the second dose. Most children will have enough antibodies.

2) Do those individual shots contain thimerosal? No, live vaccines do not contain thimerosal as a preservative.

3) I'm guessing that getting the individual shots is worse since I'm guessing that the baby will get three times the toxic crap that way. Would someone confirm or deny that?

4) Is there any truth to her belief that the MMR is safer after 18 months?

There is absolutely no proof that the MMR is "safer" after the age of 18 months. There is no magic age. For instance, a child can die from MMR-induced encephalitis or wind up living w/ permanent brain damage with the first or second dose MMR.

FTR, it is the measles virus which is the center of the autism controversary. I'm assuming that's why she wants the shots separated. However, M or MMR . . . the child is still getting the measles vaccine.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page