Vaccines and Mental Illness? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since reading up on vaccines and learning about the many ways they can affect a person long-term, I've become interested in how they may have affected me. I was fully vaxed as a child, and then years later, my medical records were lost, and to go to a new school, I had to get re-vaxed. So I had a lot of crap injected into my body.
As a child, a suffered terrible migraines and mood swings, which later became worse, and I was diagnosed with biploar disorder. (I was also just a sickly child, and I caught scarlet fever, measels, mono, and got strep throat every year until my tonsils were pulled.) I've been treated with a wide variety of psychoactive drugs, including lithium, but have spend many, many years battling these demons.
Last year, I got pregnant, and I read the Continuum Concept and discovered attachment parenting. I decided that I wanted to breastfeed, but my doctors insisted it wasn't safe to bf on lithium (they had kept me on it even into my pregnancy because I was 'high risk'). I decided that it was important enough to me that I would stop all medications and stop toxifying my baby. I had wondered for the last few years anyway if I needed medications, because I had felt well, had some very good therapy, and I just FELT okay.
So I weaned off the medication, and I've been fine. I've had some crying fits and all, but nothing terrible, and I think I'm still just learning to cope with things that I previously covered-up with drugs.
Now, to bring this back to my question: Are there any links between vaccines and mental illness? Because I'm wondering about it. And I wonder if perhaps my daughter may be spared a similar fate because we are not vaccinating her, and we are going to switch to organic foods as well. So far, she has had only breastmilk (she's 5 mos). I also wonder about the lithium exposure she had in-utero, but I can't change that now.

I've googled vaccines and mental illness, but I haven't found anything to link the two, but then again, I haven't had muh success finding much online. So, if anyone can direct me to any research they may have stumbled across, I'd be very interested.
(this post rambles a bit- sorry)
#2 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynrosa
Are there any links between vaccines and mental illness?
I believe so . . . although you'll never hear anything official b/c vaccines are "safe and effective."

There are many "mental" disorders which many (including myself) believe are not technically mental disorders, but immune system disorders which affect the brain . . . including bipolar, autism, ADHD and depression.

I believe vaccines have contributed to of each of these disorders.

Unfortunately, almost all children and adults are prescribed dangerous psychotropic medication instead of getting the appropriate metabolic testing done in order to find out WHY there is a problem.
#3 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

I've been wondering the same thing because I'm also bipolar. I've always refused the lithium because I'd rather be crazy than take that risk, but I do occasionally take Seroquel or some other antipsychotic when I start getting really bad. I'm med-free right now and hope to be for a long time. I hate hate hate taking the meds because they make me feel like a zombie and they made me have to stop BF before I planned to (But I did need them--I was getting to the point where I was dangerous to everyone but my children.)

I don't think my condition is strictly vaccine-related, though, because we have a family history of bipolar.
#4 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

My dh and I were discussing the 'family history' thing, and what occured to me is this: maybe 'bipolar' isn't neccessarily inherited, but instead perhaps you can inherit a predisposition to react similarly to toxins. Like, maybe generations can have a similar reaction to the same vaccines or other toxins. Maybe the reason thing 'run in families' is due to the fact that people TEND to be raised the same way within families (ie, they are vaxed, eat the same foods, are deficient in the same nutrients, etc).
Just an idea.

So, what research is it that covers the idea that 'mental illnesses' could be immune issues??

Thanks for the input, btw.
#5 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Are you aware that diet and nutrition plays a role in behavior, including depression? Also, deficiencies and toxicities of many vitamins and minerals also affect behavior.

These are facts. However, it's easier and much more profitable for your doctor to prescribe medication.

Regarding family history . . . if everyone in a family eats the same way, lives in the same house drinking the same crappy water and exposed to the same environmental hazards in and around that house, then leaves the house and continues eating and living in a similar manner . . . yes, you'll have a family history of many disorders, cancers, etc.
#6 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynrosa
Maybe the reason thing 'run in families' is due to the fact that people TEND to be raised the same way within families (ie, they are vaxed, eat the same foods, are deficient in the same nutrients, etc).
Just an idea.

We were posting at the same time . . . I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!
#7 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you aware that diet and nutrition plays a role in behavior, including depression? Also, deficiencies and toxicities of many vitamins and minerals also affect behavior.
Yes, because those of us with mental disorders are far too stupid to realize that eating crap makes us feel bad Give me a break.

Quote:
Regarding family history . . . if everyone in a family eats the same way, lives in the same house drinking the same crappy water and exposed to the same environmental hazards in and around that house, then leaves the house and continues eating and living in a similar manner . . . yes, you'll have a family history of many disorders, cancers, etc.
What makes you think everyone in the family does everything the same way? I certainly don't do things the way my parents do, and they don't do things the way their parents did. Your theory *might* make sense if we were talking about going back a generation or two, but I'm talking about going back centuries. I seriously doubt my great-great-great-great grandmother lived off of Doritos and Pepsi
#8 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:27 PM

I believe the book by Coulter A Shot In The Dark covers that subject. Or am I wrong? I read it many, many years ago.

You can read part of it on line or you can peruse it in the book store.
#9 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

2sweeties1angel: i hope you know that the comments about family history were hypothoses, and had nothing to do whatsoever with you or your family in particular. I was thinking about how me, my mother, and my grandmother probably had the same vaccines as children and have the same (Penn Dutch) diet, which may have certain defiencies that I'm not aware of... and that may mean that in MY family, perhaps we are falling into the same traps, leading us to each suffer from depressive illnesses. It's just an idea I'm considering, and I came on the boards to ask if anyone had done any research into these topics.
Please don't take anything I discuss personally. I don't know you, so I wouldn't attempt to dicuss your family. And I assume LongIsland was probably speaking hypothetically as well.

LongIsland: I have seen some books about diet and nutrition in regards to bipolar illness. I haven't read them yet (I just got into this subject), but I will soon.

Does anyone know what kinds of tests (if any) can tell me what specific vitamins and minerals I may be defient in?

Also, again, has anyone seen any research linking the toxins in vaccines with depressive/affective disorders in particular? How might a toxin affect the chemical balance in the brain?
#10 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
Yes, because those of us with mental disorders are far too stupid to realize that eating crap makes us feel bad Give me a break.
Give me a break? Your entire post reeks of defensiveness . . . I've seen dozens of times before - especially among those with autistic children who refuse to have their children metabolically tested b/c their husband, or some other releative uncle is also on the spectrum and they think there's nothing they can do.

So what were the results of your metabolic testing?

I'm assuming your knoweldgeable doctor would have immediately ordered extensive testing - or you would have insisted he order the testing in order to find out WHY this was happening?

Or did the doctor just whip out his prescription pad after conducting a 15-20 minute questionnaire?
#11 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
So what were the results of your metabolic testing?
Hypothyroidism.

Quote:
I'm assuming your knoweldgeable doctor would have immediately ordered extensive testing - or you would have insisted he order the testing in order to find out WHY this was happening?
He did order the testing. I am taking meds to "fix" my thyroid and I'm still having bipolar episodes.

Quote:
Or did the doctor just whip out his prescription pad after conducting a 15-20 minute questionnaire?
Why yes, or course that's what happened! < sarcasm > I didn't even take any of the bipolar meds for several years after my initial diagnosis.
#12 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
Hypothyroidism.
He did order the testing. I am taking meds to "fix" my thyroid and I'm still having bipolar episodes.
I'm wondering if he did extensive testing though - for instance, did they check vitamin/mineral deficiencies and toxicities.

I say this because he may have done testing, but it may have not been all the right tests.
#13 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:56 PM

Although it appears you may have had a different experience...LI is right on the nose. Most doctors whip out that pad and write a script after speaking with you for a total of ten minutes. No testing , no questions about your diet or excercise level , no family history questions....just the script.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who don't know that what they eat affects them. After encouraging a friend of mine to eat healthier and cut out candybars , we watched her diagnosed bipolar slip away. Another friend cut out carbs and her energy dropped to nothing. She lost weight sure , but she barely had the oomph to get out of bed in the morning. She added in 'bad' carbs and her mood swings...oy. It took me forever to convince her it was the Krispy Kremes in her diet that was causing her violent mood swings.

So yes...people are that stupid. I'm glad you are eating healthy and getting all the right tests to keep yourself as mentally healthy as possible. I have a dear friend who isn't doing that and is medicine chugging in hopes that it will magically help her. She still eats McD's every day at least one meal , and processed non-organic 'food product' every day. She cut out two diet sodas a day , so now her intake of sucralose is only what she puts in her coffee and what she has in her remaining three sodas daily.

LI is dead on asking you if you were aware food is a possible trigger.
#14 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have found this:
"It appears that our government watchdog agencies have been asleep regarding the amount of mercury children were receiving via the CDC vaccine schedule, which has steadily increased annually the recommended number of childhood vaccines administered. As a direct result of the CDC�s reckless increase in the vaccine schedule, our nation is experiencing an epidemic of ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, dyslexia, bipolar, and other psychological disturbances. It is disturbing to note that the symptoms of mercury poisoning are virtually identical to the symptoms of autism."
http://proliberty.com/observer/20051224.htm

I'm still trying to dig up info...
#15 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 07:00 PM

continued: Did they test copper and zinc by any chance? Very important to have these two checked. And IgG, A, M, E and IGG subclasses?
#16 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to chime in and say that I have seem a plethora of psychiatrists over the years... and not one of them has ever tested me for anything other than my thyroid (and psychological tests, of course). But they were always more than eager to "try" me on some new medication... starting at age 9. That's right. They heavily medicaled me for more than half my life, starting at age nine, without ever testing (or even inquiring about) my nutrition or anything else.
So I'm inclined to sympathise with people who are skeptical of psychiatrists and their MO. I certainly am now, after years of being a guinea pig for them.
#17 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Banned

I'm wondering if he did extensive testing though - for instance, did they check vitamin/mineral deficiencies and toxicities.

Yes he did, back when I was a teenager and first starting having problems that weren't fixed by my thyroid meds. This wasn't a psychiatrist either--it was an endochrinologist or however you spell that. The psychiatrist came later.
#18 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

"Dr. John Olney knew what aspartame would do to the brains of our children and discussed it in his report to the Board of Inquiry. In l999 Parents Magazine asked "What's Happening to our Children", announcing that families all over America were experiencing so much depression it was estimated that 1 out of 4 had contemplated suicide. The 50% phenylalanine in aspartame lowers the seizure threshold and depletes serotonin,and can trigger bipolar or manic depression, mood swings, paranoia, hallucination and suicidal tendencies. So our children are medicated instead of educated. Seventy per cent of consumers use aspartame and 40% of the children. Dr. Olney's prophecy is fulfilled."

http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_interacts.htm

Wow. Man, I'm amazed at what I'm finding now. I didn't realize how MANY things could be causing or at least aggravating my problems.
#19 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

I've never had aspartame in my life. It gives my mother severe hallucinations, so she never allowed my brother or I to have it. Yes, we do read labels. We also mainly eat foods that don't require labels, like organic fruits and veggies.
#20 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, Diet Coke is something I have at least every other day. I did know it wasn't healthy, but I didn't realise it could be directing contributing to my mood swings.
I try to eat healthy foods, but my thoughts were along the lines of, "As long as I eat healthy foods, a few unhealthy things don't matter." I felt like Coke and such didn't ADD anything, nutritionally speaking, but I had no idea that it may well be negating my efforts to eat healthy foods.
#21 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Looking up mercury toxicity, it seems bipolar disorder has been linked to it for years... and apparently, even my amalgam fillings can leach mercury vapors?

I feel like an idiot about now. I guess maybe I should get those filling out and avoid chemicals like aspartame (duh)... but is there anything I can do to reverse mercury toxicity? Is there a way to detox that stuff? And it says mercury passes through into breastmilk. Do you think I'm poisoning my baby because of my fillings? Anyone??
#22 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 10:55 PM

NEW YORK, Aug 14 (Reuters) -- Researchers say an imbalance in levels of copper and zinc in the body may be a factor in propensity toward violent behavior.

"Young men who have varying levels of angry, violent behavior also have elevated copper and depressed zinc levels," says Dr. William Walsh, president of the non-profit Health Research Institute (HRI), an organization that investigates the influence of biochemistry on health and human behavior.

Walsh is also lead author of a study examining the impact of copper and zinc levels on the behavior of 153 males, published in the journal Physiology and Behavior.

Scientists have long known that zinc deficiency can affect human health -- usually in the form of skin ailments such as eczema and acne. But Walsh's team speculated that low levels of zinc in the area of the brain known as the hippocampus may "alter neuron activity, thus affecting behavior."

For the remainder of Reuters article:
http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1997081402.shtml
#23 of 23 Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 PM

Regarding thyroid function - selenium comes into play here:

Selenium is one of the essential trace minerals in the human body. This nutrient is an important part of antioxidant enzymes that protect cells against the effects of free radicals that are produced during normal oxygen metabolism. The body has developed defenses such as antioxidants to control levels of free radicals because they can damage cells and contribute to the development of some chronic diseases. Selenium is also essential for normal functioning of the immune system and thyroid gland.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/964647329.html
Medical College of Wisconsin. Souce of information in this link: NIH (National Institutes of Health)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page