Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Associated Press
4/17/06

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
#2 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"My great frustration (is) in trying to shake the cage and say, 'We have not, by any means, optimized how we approach seasonal flu,'" Dr. Anthony Fauci, the NIH's infectious disease chief, told The Associated Press.

Topping his do-better list: testing whether higher vaccine doses or adding immune-boosting compounds to the shots - some of the same compounds already being studied to fight bird flu - would improve the elderly's protection against regular winter influenza.

In Europe, U.S. flu-shot supplier Chiron Corp. already sells a revved-up version just for people over age 65. Studies mostly from Italy suggest that adding a chemical called MF59 to Chiron's regular flu shot spurs a modestly better immune response in older people, especially the frail.

Aside from the simple higher-dose study his university colleagues are planning, Kennedy wonders if giving seniors a flu shot plus a second vaccine - the FluMist nasal spray made of live but weakened flu virus - might activate different immune pathways to improve protection
#3 of 12 Old 04-17-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ultimately, what may protect the elderly the most is when flu's main spreaders - healthy young people, especially schoolchildren - start getting vaccinated in high-enough numbers to stem the virus' tide.

For the first time this fall, all children from age six months to 5 years will be recommended for a flu shot. Until now, the government pushed childhood flu vaccine just for chronically ill youngsters and healthy tots up to age 2.

Expect even more children to be on the vaccine list as early as 2007; already under discussion is the 5- to 9-year-old crowd.

And with a record 120 million vaccine doses expected this year - far more than the most ever given, 83 million doses - the government is preparing to encourage inoculations for healthy 20-, 30- and 40-somethings this fall, too.
#4 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 05:49 AM

Oh yay. Let's give squalene to the elderly.

Just great.

60% efficacy? I thought it was zero . Simonsen et al.

This article is a load of pap.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#5 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
60% efficacy? I thought it was zero . Simonsen et al.

This article is a load of pap.

I was hoping you would mention a certain, recent study.

Impact of Influenza Vaccination on Seasonal Mortality in the US Elderly Population
Lone Simonsen, PhD; Thomas A. Reichert, MD, PhD; Cecile Viboud, PhD; William C. Blackwelder, PhD; Robert J. Taylor, PhD; Mark A. ******, MD

Arch Intern Med. 2005;165:265-272.

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ract/165/3/265

Conclusions
We attribute the decline in influenza-related mortality among people aged 65 to 74 years in the decade after the 1968 pandemic to the acquisition of immunity to the emerging A(H3N2) virus.

We could not correlate increasing vaccination coverage after 1980 with declining mortality rates in any age group. Because fewer than 10% of all winter deaths were attributable to influenza in any season, we conclude that observational studies substantially overestimate vaccination benefit.

Author Affiliations: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) (Dr Simonsen) and Fogarty International Center (Drs Viboud and ******), National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md; and Entropy Research Institute, Boston, Mass (Dr Reichert).
#6 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
"My great frustration (is) in trying to shake the cage and say, 'We have not, by any means, optimized how we approach seasonal flu,'" Dr. Anthony Fauci, the NIH's infectious disease chief, told The Associated Press.
Frustrated?

Oh please . . . like they just realized now (after all these years) the influenza vaccine is useless in preventing death. They have no choice but to scramble to get the death numbers down in order to justify ultimate universal recommendation for all age groups.

Below is a portion of a post by Blessed regarding the influenza vaccine and children to highlight exactly what I mean by that:

Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy children.
Smith S, Demicheli V, Di Pietrantonj C, Harnden A, Jefferson T, Matheson Nj, Rivetti A. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006 Jan 25;(1):CD004879. Related Articles, Links

Highlights:
- Vaccine hasn't been shown effective in under two year olds
- safety trials are uniformly lacking
- in the greater than 2 yo's, only 33% efficacy found. In other words, two out of three vaccinated kids will still get some sort of flu, one third will be the strain they were vaccinated against and one third will be some other strain
- surprise is expressed that the US and Canada have recommended vaccine for six months age and up, since efficacy and safety are not established.

#7 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Don't you just feel like Galileo sometimes, screaming "Just look through the telescope yourself! It's obvious...if you would just look!"?
#8 of 12 Old 04-18-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
Don't you just feel like Galileo sometimes, screaming "Just look through the telescope yourself! It's obvious...if you would just look!"?
Amen!
#9 of 12 Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

#10 of 12 Old 07-24-2006, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

#11 of 12 Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 AM

Oh I love this. If the vaccine was so good, why would they be suggesting this?

http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDai...3-021839-8197r

Upping dose may help elderly fight flu
HOUSTON, May 23 (UPI) -- A higher dose of influenza vaccine may increase elderly patients' immune response without significant adverse effects, a U.S. study finds.

While influenza vaccines have shown to be effective at 15 micrograms of inactivated virus per strain for the adult population, the vaccine has not always been effective in the elderly.

Dr. Wendy A. Keitel of Baylor College of Medicine in Houston studied the response to vaccines containing 15, 30 and 60 micrograms of virus among 202 individuals age 65 years and older -- average age 72.4 -- in 2002.

On average, the individuals who received higher dosages of vaccine had higher concentrations of antibodies against the flu virus in their blood one month later. In addition, a larger percentage of those who received the higher-dose vaccines had what physicians believe is a sufficient immune response to protect them from developing the flu if they were exposed to the virus.

All three vaccine dosage levels were safe and well tolerated, according to the study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#12 of 12 Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wonder how they define "well tolerated."

Grampa didn't die from the 4X dose of flu shot. He tolerated it well.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page