Immunization Card - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking through DS#1s baby book and noticed his immunization card. He got his newborn and 2 month vaxes, and half of his 4 month vax before we stopped. DS#2 has no vaxes. Now, I don't really know how the whole vax card thing works. But the card looks rather primitive. All there are to mark that he got the vax is a check mark. Wouldn't it be really easy for someone to just check off they got the vaxes when they really didn't? I personaly wouldn't.

When ppl talked about immunization cards I was under the impression that they were a bit more complex than this. I have been asked by a LOT of ppl to "bring their immunization cards". Like to WIC or the Social Security office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybumm
Wouldn't it be really easy for someone to just check off they got the vaxes when they really didn't?
When he goes to school and needs to show that card they make a copy. From then on when they require more vaccines, you have to go and bring a letter from the doc that he now got the new vaccine. So, how would you work it then?

It is really best to do an exemption - IMO.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
But the card looks rather primitive. All there are to mark that he got the vax is a check mark.
That type of card is not a valid immunization certificate/record. It may be just something the ped's office gave you for your own records, which is pretty lame.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:37 PM

Here's an adult immunization card off the NC Dept. of Health website: http://www.immunize.org/adultizcards/adultizcard.pdf

They don't even include a spot for the manufacturer, lot number or injection site. The doc has to keep this information, but it really should be on the card.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
When he goes to school and needs to show that card they make a copy. From then on when they require more vaccines, you have to go and bring a letter from the doc that he now got the new vaccine. So, how would you work it then?

here you just bring the updated card in and they make a new photo copy.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 04-18-2006, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I was looking through DS#1s baby book and noticed his immunization card. He got his newborn and 2 month vaxes, and half of his 4 month vax before we stopped. DS#2 has no vaxes. Now, I don't really know how the whole vax card thing works. But the card looks rather primitive. All there are to mark that he got the vax is a check mark. Wouldn't it be really easy for someone to just check off they got the vaxes when they really didn't? I personaly wouldn't.

When ppl talked about immunization cards I was under the impression that they were a bit more complex than this. I have been asked by a LOT of ppl to "bring their immunization cards". Like to WIC or the Social Security office.
I've seen cards from 4 states (I'm a daycare provider). They all have a line of vaxes down the left colum, then a colomn for the doctor or nurse to check off what type of vac it was, then a colum for them to write the date of the vax, then a place for the nurse or doc to sign or stamp a rubber stamp in. If there isn't any place for the doc or nurse to sign or stamp after each vax it's probably not a real card, just a reminder card for you to keep track on.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 04-18-2006, 09:15 PM

Here the Doctors also send in the vax info to the state to keep track of as part of their "Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies" program. You know, the one that mails all the stuff that has helpful things like "feed your baby rice at 6 months" and "nurse as long as convenient but know formula it ok". So, in theory if you lost your card (and the ped lost records?) you can get it from the state. You have to specifically write that you want to be exempted from state reports.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti

Like I stated above I was just asking out of curiosity. I have exemptions for both my boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers
If there isn't any place for the doc or nurse to sign or stamp after each vax it's probably not a real card, just a reminder card for you to keep track on.
Ok, that makes sence. I have never used his 'immunization card' since we stopped vaxing when #1 was 4months, I just give them they exemptions. I assume this is just a reminder card.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:24 PM

Are non-vaxers reported in the state reports? We have a really cool dr now whom we see only when we need to. He and his office staff never try to talk us into anything they know we don't do. I'm wondering if we should be writing that we want to be exempted from state reports though we don't vax (or because of?).

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)

User Tag List