DTaP and the flu shot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was doing my research to defend my no vacc desision to my ped, and cam accross something
Did you know that the product insert for the DTaP shot specifically says that you should not give it at the same time as the flu shot? I told this to my ped, (B/C that is what he recommended) and his response was
"well thats what everyone does" !!!!!
Holy *&^%!!
and this is the person who is supposed to be the one who tells me this kind of thing!! I just thought I would share and see if anyone else has had any similer experiences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNutty
Did you know that the product insert for the DTaP shot specifically says that you should not give it at the same time as the flu shot?
Would you mind pasting over the section of the insert and the brand - I couldn't find anything.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:58 PM

Just a word of advice- don't try to defend your decision. There's no point in it.

-Angela
Old 04-19-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Would you mind pasting over the section of the insert and the brand - I couldn't find anything.
I have since loaned most of my info to another mommie trying to make a desision, but I would be happy to get that to you asap!
Old 04-19-2006, 10:38 PM

Maybe what you're thinking of is that you aren't supposed to give DTaP & Haemophilus influenzae b (aka Hib) vaccines mixed in the same syringe for primary series dosing anymore???
Old 04-20-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac
Maybe what you're thinking of is that you aren't supposed to give DTaP & Haemophilus influenzae b (aka Hib) vaccines mixed in the same syringe for primary series dosing anymore???
I think that may be it b/c not only have I never heard of anything like that, but I checked the three different DTaP brands, including the combo shots and didn't see anything.

Your pediatrician's response is a little disturbing to say the least, but not surprising.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

HI!! I know this is an old thread now, but I got my info back from a friend, and I found where I read that The DTaP and the flu shot should not be givin together:
Its from Barbara Loe Fishers National Vaccine Info center, and it says
"Influenza virus vaccine should not be given within three days of the administration of (refering to the DTaP vaccine)
I believe that it was stated that the info there came from a manufaturers product insert.
I know just about everything about whats peds do is crazy, but this one just takes the cake in my mind.
But actually I should thank him...I think that truly solidified my no-vax decision!!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 PM

That's something Gary Null wrote where he was quoting Viera Scheibner who supposedly found that passage in an insert.

Always verify for yourself straight from the source. Just because Gary Null said Viera Scheibner said so doesn't make it true.

These are the DTaP products licensed for use in the US:
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/..._4620_4.04.pdf
http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_infanrix.pdf
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/...4757_12.03.pdf
Old 06-20-2006, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac
That's something Gary Null wrote where he was quoting Viera Scheibner who supposedly found that passage in an insert.

Always verify for yourself straight from the source. Just because Gary Null said Viera Scheibner said so doesn't make it true.

These are the DTaP products licensed for use in the US:
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/..._4620_4.04.pdf
http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_infanrix.pdf
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/...4757_12.03.pdf
I dont even think I know who those people are? I also read the same thing in Stephanie Caves book. It dosnt really matter to me, b/c Im not vaxing at all, but if we cant trust all of the books and websites, that are reccomended, and we dont have time to do all the footwork ourselves, what CAN we do?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:38 PM

Don't really know what to tell you about that - you just can't trust everything you read in books or on websites. If you have time to read multiple books then you do have time to do at least some of the footwork yourself. If it's something that matters to you, that is.

http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/2...rch-health.htm
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/2...accination.htm
Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 PM

"but if we cant trust all of the books and websites, that are reccomended, and we dont have time to do all the footwork ourselves, what CAN we do?"

Make the time!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi
"but if we cant trust all of the books and websites, that are reccomended, and we dont have time to do all the footwork ourselves, what CAN we do?"

Make the time!
Don't repeat something without looking into it! Build a little brick wall between your mind and your mouth. Stuff is only allowed on the mouth side if you have personally followed up the data to make sure that it is valid.: :

Deborah

PS This is generally a good policy...not just around vax issues...can you imagine the decrease in gossip if people only repeated things they themselves KNEW to be true?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi

Make the time!
And take it slow if you need.

User Tag List