CDC and Chickenpox/Shingles... they lie! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK... I have several problems with this... but check it out...

From the What Would Happen If We Stopped Vaccinations article from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/...WhatIfStop.htm
Quote:
In addition, only persons who have had chickenpox in the past can get shingles, a painful inflammation of the nerves.
From the Shingles FAQ from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nip/diseases/vari...n-shingles.htm

Quote:
4. Can someone who has been vaccinated for chickenpox develop shingles?

Yes. However, a study conducted among children with leukemia determined that after receiving the vaccine these children were much less likely to develop shingles than children who had prior natural chickenpox. Available information from healthy children and adults suggest that shingles is less common in vaccinated healthy persons compared with persons who have had natural chickenpox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 02:20 PM

Can someone who has been vaccinated for chickenpox develop shingles?
Yes. However, a study conducted among children with leukemia determined that after receiving the vaccine these children were much less likely to develop shingles than children who had prior natural chickenpox. Available information from healthy children and adults suggest that shingles is less common in vaccinated healthy persons compared with persons who have had natural chickenpox.

Yes, a study was conducted among children . . . very impressive, hmmm? Among children with leukemia no less? Whew, now that's a relief to know.

And "available information" from healthy children and adults suggest it's less common, hmmm?

What exactly does "available information" mean? You mean there's no study among healthy children? Oh, oh well.

Until they make shingles a nationally notifiable disease, then they don't know sh*t about it being "less common" among vaccinated persons.
#3 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Can someone who has been vaccinated for chickenpox develop shingles?

Yes, a study was conducted among children . . . very impressive, hmmm? Among children with leukemia no less? Whew, now that's a relief to know.

And "available information" from healthy children and adults suggests it's less common, hmmm? What exactly does "available information" mean?

Until they make shingles a nationally notifiable disease, then they don't know sh*t.
Thank you very much!!!
#4 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 PM

And how long does it take to actually DO a study?? Hasn't the cp vax only been in common use since the mid-90s? Ten years is hardly long enough to do a study, especially since, and please correct me if I'm wrong, shingles is more common in adults than children. Since children are the majority of people receiving this vax, isn't it basically impossible to know if shingles is less common in people who have received the vax rather than gotten "wild" cp??

LI, thank you so much for pointing out how to read between the lines of all this BS! I am not that good at picking stuff apart like this, but as soon as I read your posts, a lightbulb goes off! How could I miss this stuff???
#5 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammom
And how long does it take to actually DO a study??
Hasn't the cp vax only been in common use since the mid-90s?

Yes, Varivax was introduced in 1995.

Therefore, the CDC should have made shingles nationally notifable that same year at the very least and they should have simultaneously initiated a study of the rate of shingles among vaccinated children and adults.

Ten years ago.

Instead, they're basing their statement on "available information" from two cities under "surveillance" (Los Angeles and West Philadelphia) and up until recently, only in persons 20+ years of age - no children.

Available information from healthy children and adults suggest that shingles is less common in vaccinated healthy persons compared with persons who have had natural chickenpox.

Come on.

#6 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Does anyone know, when the CP virus goes into your nerves and "hides", is it in some kind of "stasis", or does it replicate slowly?
#7 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM

I just thought I'd put in my personal experiece with Shingles. I'm 29 and have been frequently experiencing Shingles for about 3 years now, not a lot of fun. I don't have any horrible diseases (cancer, AIDS), they are totally related to stress. I did have a good bout of chicken pox as a kid. Sometimes I just let them run their course if it's not to painfull, otherwise I take Valtrex. I do "feel' like it sits dormant and when I make the conditions just right(stress), out they come! Just thought I share that info!

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#8 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
Yes, Varivax was introduced in 1995.

Therefore, the CDC should have made shingles nationally notifable that same year at the very least and they should have simultaneously initiated a study of the rate of shingles among vaccinated children and adults.

Ten years ago.

Instead, they're basing their statement on "available information" from two cities under "surveillance" (Los Angeles and West Philadelphia) and up until recently, only in persons 20+ years of age - no children.

Available information from healthy children and adults suggest that shingles is less common in vaccinated healthy persons compared with persons who have had natural chickenpox.

Come on.

Yup... my thoughts exactly!!!!
#9 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 05:15 PM

Some of the information on chickenpox was based on studies in Japan where the vaccine has been in use for a couple decades...however, it is not a required shot, so they still have a lot of virus circulating and accomplishing natural "boosting". This is even stated in the insert for the vaccine, that without the natural boosting, they have no idea how long the shot may "protect".

Shingles are listed in VAERS reports, and not only in the child! Several reports of the PARENT getting shingles after the child was vaxed!!

http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/index.html

Just type in shingles for symptom and varcel in the drop down list to choose the vaccine.

Also interesting to note, I was just speaking with a mother while waiting for my son to get out of school. She has a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old. She said her 7 yr old got the chickenpox shot and it caused her child to get chickenpox! She said she has a friend whose child not only got chickenpox from the shot, but also began to have seizures! She said she's a nurse, but she pretty much feels pressured to do whatever her dr suggests, which included making sure her preemie was vaxed for everything (baby was 6 wks early) because she was more at risk for illness. She was also warned that she couldn't put off shots because her child would need to have proof of all shots to go to school. I told her about the varying vax status of my son (in the same class as her daughter) and my other children. I also explained how there are waivers available.
#10 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Suschi said:
Quote:
Some of the information on chickenpox was based on studies in Japan where the vaccine has been in use for a couple decades...however, it is not a required shot, so they still have a lot of virus circulating and accomplishing natural "boosting". This is even stated in the insert for the vaccine, that without the natural boosting, they have no idea how long the shot may "protect".
I just had an interesting thought. You know how they always say that vaccine use has to be high for "herd immunity." In real life, obviously, you need some non-vaxers to keep the disease circulating so the vaccine will provide immunity. If the disease stops circulating, the vaccine stops working!

Hilarious! The non-vaxers are the socially responsible ones and the vaxers are the ones who are undermining the effectiveness of the vax.

The powers that be have it ass-backwards...but is that any surprise?

Deborah
#11 of 17 Old 04-19-2006, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah
Suschi said:

I just had an interesting thought. You know how they always say that vaccine use has to be high for "herd immunity." In real life, obviously, you need some non-vaxers to keep the disease circulating so the vaccine will provide immunity. If the disease stops circulating, the vaccine stops working!

Hilarious! The non-vaxers are the socially responsible ones and the vaxers are the ones who are undermining the effectiveness of the vax.

The powers that be have it ass-backwards...but is that any surprise?

Deborah
That's the point I use (or used to use when I debated this stuff) when people would accuse me of social irresponsibility.
#12 of 17 Old 04-20-2006, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi
Shingles are listed in VAERS reports, and not only in the child! Several reports of the PARENT getting shingles after the child was vaxed!!
Wow - thanks suchi! There are 619 reports . . . and you know there's more that went unreported.

I'm putting the direct link to the 619 VAERS reports: http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/fin...O=1&PERPAGE=10
#13 of 17 Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 AM

I love you all. Thank you so much for all this information!!

Emma xxx
#14 of 17 Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 AM

From a 2001 VAERS report - child was just over a year old:

Pt developed a severe itching, burning rash on the lower right side of her stomach. Pain was excruitiating, so bad that her father took her to the doctor. She was diagnosed with shingles and given Acyclovir/Zovirax. She never had chicken pox but doctor said her shingles could be due to the weakened virus that was in the vaccine she received. She had a low grade fever and was fatigued. It took about 7 weeks to clear up.

425 reports involved children between 1-6 years of age with the most recent reports on the latter pages. In that search, shingles developed in the vaxed child within 5 years of varicella vaccination.

There were no reports of shingles for children vaccinated in 2005 . . . yet. Based on the data, some peds are apparently making the connection to the vaccine and reporting shingles as a reaction months or years after vaccination. I wonder if the AAP instructed them to report . . . or the peds/parents are doing it on their own.
#15 of 17 Old 04-20-2006, 08:58 AM

I don't know how this is relevant but my DH got Shingles when he was about a year old.
He was a very healthy baby... however, he has it quite badly and it was concentrated in his face and near his eyes and he has some major scarring and had a bit of loss of vision, he got the CP later when he was 5....

Though the doctors deny the link, my 80 year old grandma got the shingles right after my cousin got vaxxed. Of course my opinion isn't important because I am the weird one because I breastfeed don't vax etc...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#16 of 17 Old 04-29-2006, 06:38 PM

#17 of 17 Old 04-29-2006, 08:46 PM

From what I have seen.... like someone else pointed out... they don't have enough information to say that the vaccine protects better in adulthood than a chickenpox bout as a child. They vaccine has simply not been around long enough to do a longitudinal study. They are jumping to conclusions without enough information. I am always wary of new drugs because it seems like these days they all come up to have some terrible side effect long term that they don't find out about until later.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page