MMR Second Dose is *Not* a Booster - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From the CDC:

Why is a second dose of MMR necessary?
About 2%-5% of persons do not develop measles immunity after the first dose of vaccine. This occurs for a variety of reasons. The second dose is to provide another chance to develop measles immunity for persons who did not respond to the first dose.

*It is convenient to give the second dose at school entry, since the child will have an immunization visit for other school entry vaccines. The risk of measles is higher in school-age children than those of preschool age, so it is important to receive the second dose by school entry. The second dose is not a "booster"; it is intended to produce immunity in the small number of persons who fail to respond to the first dose.

*Failure to respond to two properly timed doses of MMR vaccine would be expected to occur in one or two persons per thousand vaccinees, at most.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/vaccine/mmr/mmr-faqs-hcp.htm

#2 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Vaxers:

*Did you know that most states don't technically require a second dose of mumps and rubella . . . they only want a second dose of measles?

*Did you know that most entering kindergarteners carry enough measles antibodies to avoid the second dose MMR dose?

*Did you know that most states accept a measles titer test in lieu of the second dose measles requirement?

*Did you know that your child can have a serious adverse reaction to the MMR second dose even though there was no significant reaction with the first dose?

*Do you know your state immunization requirements?
#3 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 07:11 AM

so... if they failed to produce immunity to the first, why do they think they might produce immunity to the second?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#4 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
so... if they failed to produce immunity to the first, why do they think they might produce immunity to the second?

But according to them, "failure to respond to two properly timed doses of MMR vaccine would be expected to occur in one or two persons per thousand vaccinees, at most." [emphasis added]
#5 of 19 Old 04-26-2006, 11:16 AM

I feel like I've heard this about the DTaP, too, could someone set me straight? The first dose confers immunity in like, 95%, the second gets another 2%, the third maybe 1%.... so for 95% of the population doses 2-5 (required here in MA) are completely unneccessary (until you get the now required boosters 10 years later I guess).

Is this correct?

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#6 of 19 Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia
I feel like I've heard this about the DTaP, too, could someone set me straight? The first dose confers immunity in like, 95%, the second gets another 2%, the third maybe 1%.... so for 95% of the population doses 2-5 (required here in MA) are completely unneccessary (until you get the now required boosters 10 years later I guess).

Is this correct?
I bumped up a pertussis thread which may answer your questions.
#7 of 19 Old 04-27-2006, 08:18 AM

I just had this discussion w/ a friend of mine. I THOUGHT she would be amazed -- she is semi crunchy semi delays vax and extend bfing mom. In stead she said she would NEVER hold her daughter down to get blood drawn. That would be too cruel I am frustrated she would rather give her child unnecessary live virus but get a blood draw is cruel???

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#8 of 19 Old 04-27-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia

Is this correct?
Yeah, I heard that too.

Thanks, LongIsland for the info. Dh still debates me on the whole vaccine thing. We have baby #3 coming and I just don't want to go over the whole thing again (it's so exhausting). I stopped giving DD her shots without his knowing...

Shannon
#9 of 19 Old 06-12-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Is your child entering kindergarten this Fall and you have a well check coming up?

Did you know that you may not need the second dose MMR in order for your child to enter school?

If you need help locating your state laws and/or have questions regarding measles titers, please ask!
#10 of 19 Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM

LI, for some reason (read: user error) I can't figure out which thread is the pertussis one that you bumped. Could you either give me a hint about the title or put in a link? Thanks.
#11 of 19 Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez
LI, for some reason (read: user error) I can't figure out which thread is the pertussis one that you bumped. Could you either give me a hint about the title or put in a link? Thanks.
I'll bump up the thread for you . . . it's probably buried a few pages back by now. The thread will have "600,000" in the title.
#12 of 19 Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Thanks!
#13 of 19 Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=LongIsland]Vaxers:
*Did you know that most states accept a measles titer test in lieu of the second dose measles requirement?
[QUOTE]

Certainly true in NY. As a fully vaxed adult, I fought for this for myself upon entering ny nursing program (since my second dose was when I was 4). This option is absolutely availabe; demand it!
#14 of 19 Old 06-13-2006, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=nyveronica][QUOTE=LongIsland]Vaxers:
Quote:

Certainly true in NY. As a fully vaxed adult, I fought for this for myself upon entering ny nursing program (since my second dose was when I was 4). This option is absolutely availabe; demand it!
True in my case as well for my nursing program requirements. I recenty got my MMR titers checked ($15 each so it's not expensive to get them done, just FYI for all) and they were all still good (and I'm 32). It even stated on my lab report it was vaccine induced immunity, my varicella titer came back as natural immunity....and no they never asked about my vax status. I found that interesting.

I'm also going to get a HepB titer done, just to see. I've already started the vitD and selenium to help protect myself, but I am still not 100% confident in that study since I can't seem to find any other studies to back that one up and it was so many years ago.

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#15 of 19 Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM

anyone have a list of which states will accept titres? I'd love to know if Texas will!
#16 of 19 Old 06-13-2006, 04:45 PM

I don't know anything about their policy on titres but Texas has a really easy philosophical exemption process (and it's free!).

Here's a description of how to get an exemption.

http://www.vaccineinfo.net/exemptions/index.shtml
#17 of 19 Old 06-13-2006, 07:15 PM

see - I'm on medicaid so I HAVE to vax or they take medicaid away. But I don't really want to give any more vaxs than necessary either.
#18 of 19 Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight
see - I'm on medicaid so I HAVE to vax or they take medicaid away. But I don't really want to give any more vaxs than necessary either.
I just bumped two threads entitled "Texas Medicaid and Not Vaxing" and "Medicaid? Is it bad? Your Experience?"
#19 of 19 Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page