tetanus question once and for all. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got stuck with a sharp rusty nail on our fence outback i managed to squeeze a tiny drop of blood out but it is so little not much would come out and i washed it with soap and peroxide but my mom claims i should go to the doctor for a tetanus shot, we dont get shots in this family, i said , dh got a tetanus shot four years ago and got dealthy sick.

Anyhow once and for all you can't get tetanus from a rusty nail, right?

If you can please let me know because i thougth you couldnt.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 07:37 PM

If it bled I wouldn't worry. I really wouldn't worry unless it was in someone with poor circulation or serious health problems.

-Angela
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 PM

If your nutrition is top notch tetanus just isn't an issue under any circumstances. After all, the world was vastly over populated before they decided we all needed it, and no doubt you have some pretty old people who got speared with all sorts of things, including rose prickles, etc..... who lived to think they had lived too long.

Oh, and here's another thing. I wondered why rose prickles are considered in this country to be a major source of tetanus. When I discovered the number of toxic sprays people put on their roses, I just rolled my eyes. If they want to fill their bodies up with toxic rose sprays, they probably use a whole load of other sprays too, and wonder why tetanus is an issue?

Tetanus is potentiated by any toxin.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM

If you go in, the tetanus shot they usually give is Td (tetanus and diptheria). You need 2-3 doses for it to be effective, so if you have NEVER had a tetanus shot before, this one won't be much help at all. Also, the incubation period for tetanus is less time than it takes for the shot to be effective, so if you were to get tetanus, you'd get it before the shot took effect (assuming the shot they were giving was your 3rd dose or more). They are giving it as a booster because they have you in there, not because it will do anything for the current wound.

To do something for the current wound, you (considering you are "non immune") would need the tetanus immunoglobulin which is made from the blood plasma of volunteer donors who have tetanus antibodies.

Here is a definition of "non-immune" taken from a UK site, but I am sure the definition is similar elsewhere:
Quote:
Non-immune is taken as:

o those who have NOT received a 3 dose course or a reinforcing dose within the last 10 years
o those who have not been immunised
o those who are unsure.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

well my diet leaves a little to be desired but i eat farly healthy,
and it was such a small nail and didnt really go in that far,
i did get a tiny bit of blood out after squeezing my poor finger for five minutes,

so i guess i am not going to worry about this.
I know i will not go to the docotr for this
not to mention Dh will laugh at me and call me a whimp if i did

Thanks for the input

But i do have to mention it again can you supposedly get tetanus from a nail?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:25 PM

Isn't the *rust* as a tetanus carrier a myth? Rust is caused by oxygen and tetanus cannot survive with oxygen, right?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:46 PM

I've been doing some reading about tetanus because that is the only vaccine I'm still not sure about. As was said earlier, it can only survive in anaerobic conditions. Still, I'm not sure what would cause an anaerobic condition. Some sources say splinters can even cause tetanus, or something as small as sitting on a tack. Even a lot of anti-vax people seem to think the tetanus is important and that the vaccine itself is *less* dangerous than others, but I'm still researching this issue. I need to see some info to the contrary so I can make up my mind.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:52 PM

It's not necessisarily that the nail (or other metal obj) is rusty, but rust is a sign of age. With age, and rust, come pits and layers under which the tetanus bact can live. If you bled, and cleaned with peroxide, and are reasonably healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. Even if you developed the disease (which isn't that likely) only a small fraction become serious and most cases are easily treatable. For your safety you should be aware of the symptoms of the diseases against which you do not vax.
We delay/partially vax in our family and Tetanus is one that my son will eventually get.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 05-01-2006, 06:44 PM

So mamamoogs, how are you doing?

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 05-01-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all your responses.

Hi Momtezuma Tuatara, I seem to be fine so far
Finger a little sore but thats it.
I try not to think about it because if I do I will think I have every symptom under the sun.
thanks for checking back on me.

Sorry for the editing it seems I can't spell today.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 PM

I can't spell any time.

You don't need to think about it. If you did get tetanus, believe me, you would know and wouldn't have to imagine it, but the reality is that you have more chance of being killed by lightening.

Though I guess if you are killed by lightening, that's not much fun either.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 AM

: MT you are cracking me up today! :

Old 05-02-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

User Tag List