Mumps and natural immunity... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2006, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So we were talking at work today about the mumps. Several co-workers remember having them as children. And quite a few people said that it is possible to have them twice--IF you only swelled on one side. They said you can get it in the other side, or swell on both sides a 2nd time--one person experienced and remembers it from childhood...thoughts?

how would I know DS is REALLY immune before the question of potential sterility comes into play? This is one thing I don't want to mess around with because of that complication, even if the risk is low. I understand it's not a risk until he hits puberty. This is not a chance I will take with him though.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have the book How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor? He discusses the sterility non-issue in detail.

Also, except for exposing him again and seeing if he gets it again, there is no real way to know AFAIK if someone has life-long immunity.

mv
#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2006, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why don't you let him decides, when he hits puberty? It's his body, and a 12 or 13-year-old boy is certainly old enough to be involved in healthcare decisions like that.

You can get mumps twice, no matter how many sides you have it on. Having it on one side provides just as much immunity as having it on both. Some people just lose their immunity over time. Actually, all people do, to varying degrees.

If you wanted to know if he was "REALLY immune", you would have his titres checked. However, even then, there are no guarantees. Someone with plenty of antibodies could still get mumps, under the right conditions. But sterility is extremely rare. It rarely (think NEVER) happens in both testicles, so he would still have one fully functioning testicle. Therefore, *he* would not be sterile, he would just have one sterile testicle. It's like how if you have one ovary removed, you're not sterile.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page