Anyone else SO sick of the bird flu hype? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First it was swine flu, then mad cow disease, then SARS, now bird flu. What's next? Carrot flu? Cat measles? UGH! I'm sick and tired of these ridiculous scare tactics used to promote mass vaccinations with a vaccine they haven't even developed yet! You know the second they get a bird flu vax out there, everyone's going to be mobbing to get it. I heard on the news that they're expecting a HUGE bird flu epidemic in the US sometime this year. Last time I checked, something like 5 or six people total, in CHINA, had gotten bird flu, I think ONE immunocomprimised person had died and not even one BIRD had showed up sick in the US. (Going from memory here, don't quote me on that) So what's all the big hooplah about?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't forget the west nile virus scare and vaccine promotion.It was such big news, and everyone promoted mass pesticide spraying in neighborhoods.Nothing now. I am sick of bird flu hype, because the neighbors freak over me wanting chickens.Oh no, chickens could give them bird flu!
#3 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane
First it was swine flu, then mad cow disease, then SARS, now bird flu. What's next? Carrot flu? Cat measles?

Don't forget about lyme disease. Now that the vax is off the market (for now anyway), the hype has disappeared.

Believe it or not, they're still trying to market a SARS vaccine. It's doesn't look like it's going to go anywhere for now though. From a December 2005 article:

Two years ago, as fears of a SARS pandemic spread, a San Diego biotech company aided by federal dollars speeded a promising vaccine out of the lab and into human testing. But when Vical Inc. and the government wrap up the 15-person test next year, the drug is expected to end up on the shelf because the dreaded global epidemic never panned out. Bird flu has now overtaken SARS as the No. 1 feared global death threat.
#4 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 01:19 PM

I think you also forgot the ebola virus too! Is brainwashing a disease? It should be classified as one, 'cause I think there's an epidemic of that going on too.
#5 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Is brainwashing a disease? It should be classified as one, 'cause I think there's an epidemic of that going on too.
I think we need a new vax for that one!
#6 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaska_Dog
I think we need a new vax for that one!
Yeah, that would be a real money maker! People would need weekly or even daily boosters for life!
#7 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 02:22 PM

I saw they are making some kind of movie/tv show about the bird flu when i was at my moms last night and said.. I can't believe that crap.. my mom agreed.

"Is brainwashing a disease? It should be classified as one, 'cause I think there's an epidemic of that going on too. "

I might have to use that as a quote for my siggy, if you don't mind I'll credit you if I do.
#8 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 02:31 PM

Hey don't forget guys...remember all the hype about smallpox? They made a flippin TV movie about that too! On ABC they made one about the bird flu, worst case scenario, of course. Remember when people were volunarily getting shot up with the small pox vax? Where did that one go? I haven't heard of the small pox hype in a while. I remember SARS, yeah that one about a couple of years ago. I do remember swine flu and all that. West Nile virus..all that stuff. It seems like every year the government has to think up something to scare us and keep our sleeves rolled up and the vax lines packed.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#9 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388
I might have to use that as a quote for my siggy, if you don't mind I'll credit you if I do.
I'd be honored to be a part of your siggy line!
#10 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 02:50 PM

I was watching TV last night. In the space of one hour, they advertised a made for TV movie about epidemic "Bird Flu" at least 8 times,in the most fear mongering, irresponsible and jacked up manner, I and my partner were seriously disgusted.The shot of the Canadian Goose flying over head was icing on that cake!
We WILL NOT be watching that trash, and any actors that appear in it ( Stacy Keach, Natasha Richardson et. al.) have got the same ranking as Tom Cruise in my mind.
#11 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 06:30 PM

And most people don't have a clue that it's all hype...and when you try to tell them, they freak out acting like WE'RE the bad ones.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#12 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

People keep asking me if I'm afraid of catching the bird flu from my chickens. I just tell them the chickens eat the ticks so I won't have to worry about catching Lyme disease which is *much* worse than bird flu and they say, "Oh. Okay." I can't tell if they really believe I'm serious or if they just think I'm crazy
#13 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah
And most people don't have a clue that it's all hype...and when you try to tell them, they freak out acting like WE'RE the bad ones.
My stepdad believed a lot of it until I told him who owned a great deal of stock in Tamiflu.
#14 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane
First it was swine flu, then mad cow disease, then SARS, now bird flu. What's next? Carrot flu? Cat measles?

My ex-best friend's cousin in law's favorite aunt DIED of cat measles ! It was awful. She coughed up her final hairball last year. It was said she even started playing with cat toys. Yes ! It's true. I found it on the internet...and the enquirer had a full page story on it.

#15 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel
People keep asking me if I'm afraid of catching the bird flu from my chickens. I just tell them the chickens eat the ticks so I won't have to worry about catching Lyme disease which is *much* worse than bird flu and they say, "Oh. Okay." I can't tell if they really believe I'm serious or if they just think I'm crazy
I love it! My next-door neighbor has asked me FOUR times if I'm afraid catching bird flu from my chickens. I don't think she believed me when I told her bird flu was nothing more than fearmongering government propaganda. . .

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#16 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nearly every communicable disease in humans mutated from a disease in our domestic animals. That's why there were so few such diseases in the New World--fewer or no domestic animals, less chance for diseases to jump species.

They cannot possibly make a vax for "epidemic" bird flu, because before there can be such a flu, the virus has to mutate to one which is transmitted by airborne human-to-human contact. At which point it will be a different virus from the present strain killing birds. So a vax to the present strain, while it could be useful for people who work with poultry to keep them from catching bird flu from the birds, would be pointless as a mass vaccination.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#17 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin
Nearly every communicable disease in humans mutated from a disease in our domestic animals. That's why there were so few such diseases in the New World--fewer or no domestic animals, less chance for diseases to jump species.
That actually makes sense and explains why the Indians had never been exposed to the smallpox before. It was a version of the cow pox.
#18 of 18 Old 05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned

OMG!! I have a Budgie!!! Will my family catch the bird flu and die???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page