Barf - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was just a story on my local news where a mother urged everyone to be vaccinated for menningitis, because her son died from it. And she will never forgive her self for not preventing his illness.

Then it went on to show people being injected with Menactra. :

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 AM

Isn't it strange that if a child dies of a vaccine-"preventable" disease it is okay and almost expected for the mother to urge anyone and everyone to get the vaccine for that disease, but if a child dies or almost dies from a vaccine it is somehow WRONG for them to urge people to not get vaccinated or to be more cautious?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:45 AM

The common comeback for vaccine injuries/death is," Well we really don't KNOW if they vaccine was the cause." That is why the NVICP is such a joke,because most times parents can NOT prove the vaccine caused harm.

My mom had diphtheria in her 20's.Assuming she had a DT in childhood,but who knows in her country in the 1940's-50's. I would think she would push for that vaccine,but she actually abvocates for the tetanus vaccine due to the death of a woman she knew who got blood poisoning after a scrape on her knee at 41.I was fuming over her recent tet booster(to dh) who then backed HER up,"Well you gotta have a tetanus vaccine if you get a cut!" Oy,old conditioning dies hard
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter
Isn't it strange that if a child dies of a vaccine-"preventable" disease it is okay and almost expected for the mother to urge anyone and everyone to get the vaccine for that disease, but if a child dies or almost dies from a vaccine it is somehow WRONG for them to urge people to not get vaccinated or to be more cautious?
Amen sister!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:21 AM

Are you in Iowa? Siouxland area? I saw the same thing last night!
But I guess you could be anywere they are going to start promoting it more and more.

***Oh your in Nebraska, bet we saw the same thing. I cant get used to knowing were people are from, I am so used to Baby Center.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 AM

There's a "commercial" circulating here about the same thing. It talks about two college kids that died from meningitis and urges everyone to get the vaccine. Weird.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:09 PM

I bet that commercial doesn't mention the girl who died last year from meningitis and her father just keep saying, we got her vaxed we thought she was protected. :

If I remember the story right, she died of a different strain than what the vax was but the doctors had never told them there was more than one strain ior that the vax only protected from one.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Don't be hard on a mama who is rightfully grieving the loss of her child. Meningitis death is awful - unimaginable. Too horrible to even describe. She's right to not want any other family or child to have to experience that.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, like always. There are children who die who would have been saved by vaccination (including, perhaps, her son), and there are children who die or are damaged because of vaccination. We just have to look at ALL of the information - including the reality of these diseases - and try to choose what our hearts and minds tell us is best for our child and our family.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00
There was just a story on my local news where a mother urged everyone to be vaccinated for menningitis, because her son died from it. And she will never forgive her self for not preventing his illness.

Then it went on to show people being injected with Menactra. :
Do you have a link to this woman's story? I'm curious to know if she was told which strain killed her child.

I could post a half dozen articles on people who died of a meningitis strain not "covered" the vaccine . . . and those parents thought they were "preventing" it by making sure their kids were vaccinated.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

it was on the news, I can try to find a link though.

The woman said it was the "C" strain, which is vaccine"preventable" so there is NO reason why anyone should have to die from it!!!
: : :

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :

User Tag List