what the heck is the HPV commercials about? are they about an adult vax? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 05-14-2006, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another thing. Just like all the already mandated vaccines you can bet there will be no long term studies of efficacy or side effects of this one either. We and our babies will be used for scientific experimentation with only salutory oversight to protect the manufacturer's and government posteriors and not ours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 83 Old 05-14-2006, 09:00 PM

Can anyone find the ingredients to the new Gardasil (merck) or Ceravix (GSK) ? I've searched and searched.

I see that Merck applied for a BLA and blocked the lead ingredients from being publicized.

When can we find out WHAT is in that shot. We all know it's more than just water and the weakened virus.

I see that Merck's Gardasil uses a traditional alum adjuvant whereas GSK's version will be a pumped up type of adjuvant called AS04. It is a new molecule made from the aluminum salts.

Questions I'd like the answers to :
* Is the vaccine a live attenuated virus , or is it inactivated ?

* What culture did they use to grow the vaccine in ? (monkey , rabbit , dog , human fetal , etc...)

* What are the "inactive" ingredients ? (formaldehyde , thimersol , aluminum)
#63 of 83 Old 05-14-2006, 09:06 PM
gnu

Well, not too impressively, my gynecologist answered questions about ingredients with "what's thimerosal?" And she'd worked on the clinical trials for Merck!
#64 of 83 Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 PM

Folate:

Quote:
In a study at the University of Alabama in **********, researchers compared the amount of folate in the red blood cells of 294 women with cervical dysplasia with that of women without the condition. Then they checked with the women to see whether they smoked, used oral contraceptives, had given birth or had an HPV infection. And in each case, they found that the risk factor was more likely to be associated with dysplasia if the women had low levels of folate. Women with low levels of folate who were infected with HPV, for example, were five times more likely to develop dysplasia than women who were loaded with folate.
Lycopene:

Quote:
In a study conducted at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City, researchers found that lycopene, a carotenoid found in tomatoes, has a direct effect on the development of cervical dysplasia. Studies are ongoing, says Prabhudas R. Palan, Ph.D., assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Albert Einstein, who is leading the study. But right now it looks as though the more tomatoes you eat, the less cervical dysplasia you get.
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/10/46.cfm

Vitamins A and C and some others:

Quote:
Since as far back as 1981, statistically significant differences in levels of vitamins A and C and beta carotene have been noted between women with cervical dysplasia and healthy controls (Romney SL et al 1981; Wassertheil-Smoller S et al 1981). Other nutrients studied in cervical dysplasia include folate, zinc, and vitamins B6, B12, and E. Changes in diet and nutritional supplementation can reduce the odds of developing cervical cancer (Marshall K 2003; Gagandeep et al 2003; Friedman M et al 2005).
http://www.lef.org/protocols/female_...splasia_02.htm

Diet and premalignant lesions of the cervix: evidence of a protective role for folate, riboflavin, thiamin, and vitamin B12.:
Quote:
CONCLUSIONS: This investigation provides evidence that thiamin, riboflavin, folate, and vitamin B12 may play a protective role in cervical carcinogenesis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Although I'm sure that no amount of evidence will convince someone who is determined to believe otherwise, I am posting all this information regarding the importance of nutrition in preventing cervical dysplasia and cancer for those who are actually interested in learning. It may actually help someone remain confident in their decision not to vaccinate. Much of the evidence not only shows that a diet high in certain nutrients can prevent dysplasia, but that it can also cure it. Hope it helps someone out there.
#65 of 83 Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Although I'm sure that no amount of evidence will convince someone who is determined to believe otherwise, I am posting all this information regarding the importance of nutrition in preventing cervical dysplasia and cancer for those who are actually interested in learning. It may actually help someone remain confident in their decision not to vaccinate. Much of the evidence not only shows that a diet high in certain nutrients can prevent dysplasia, but that it can also cure it. Hope it helps someone out there.
#66 of 83 Old 05-14-2006, 11:54 PM

I had a GYN in Miami who believed the problem is that most docs would immediately start in with the Leeps, etc., instead of waiting to see if the body would clear it on its own - he said most peoples would.
#67 of 83 Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting
Folate:

Lycopene:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/10/46.cfm

Vitamins A and C and some others:

http://www.lef.org/protocols/female_...splasia_02.htm

Diet and premalignant lesions of the cervix: evidence of a protective role for folate, riboflavin, thiamin, and vitamin B12.:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

I am so gald to see this info; I just had a LEEP and want to ensure I don't end up having another one.
#68 of 83 Old 05-18-2006, 08:32 PM

I came here to see if anyone has heard about the new vaccine. I just heard on the news that they are getting ready to come out with it for girls who are not yet sexually active.

(I confess I didn't read the whole thread)

I was wondering why all of the commercials and then last week I get a phone call from my hmo telling me to make sure I go to the gyno and get checked for cervical cancer because it is on the rise. I wonder if that is a marketing strategy they teamed up on???? well anyway then I hear the news and I am not at all suprised.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#69 of 83 Old 05-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Well I don't vax so I certainly understand the pov of those who oppose the vax. On the other hand I have HPV. Luckily for me my strain does not cause cervical cancer and I had only one outbreak with no further problems and that was almost 10 years ago. So HPV is not just coming around. We aren't just finding out about it. It's just that people still don't know about it. I've been participating in online communities for about 6 years now and it comes up from time to time and it's amazing how little people are aware of it. So I do see the point in the "tell some one" campaign. I think it's a good one. I don't however think I should vaccinate my infant against HPV. There has to be a middle ground.
#70 of 83 Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 PM

Thankfully I have never had HPV but my mother, my neice, and a friend of mine have all been through HELL with all this dysplasia (sp?) crap. I'm not sure about universal vaccinations at *birth* (I would decline that) but most likely I will have my girls both vaccinated when they are a bit older. I mean at least the recomendations are for 9 years and up....I'm at least glad to see it's not babies getting such a new vaccine.

On the other hand I understand the point about so many girls being sexually molested/abused...how do I know my girls wont be? I don't. But I still would like to see more about the risks of the vax, etc before proceeding. I'm not stupid...lol My oldest is 8 so we have some time to think about this more and see side effects, etc I also know that no vax is 100% so we will continue eating the best we can and taking vitamins and mineral supplements (hey we ain't perfect, sometimes we do eat at Sonic).

I think this is one vax that could potentinally do a lot of good.

*sorry about spelling, etc but we have been swimming, at the park, etc allllllll day long and I'm beat!! I love our discussions!!

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#71 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmama
On the other hand I understand the point about so many girls being sexually molested/abused...how do I know my girls wont be? I don't.
I just wanted to point out that this argument is really not a very sensible one, IMO. I actually know someone who didn't breastfeed because, "What if I die? The baby would be so used to nursing that it would be a lot harder for her than if she was bottlefed." I don't plan my life around the worst possible scenario. Neither should you or anyone else. If you did, you would never:

Ride in a motor vehicle (could die in an accident)
Cross the street (could be hit by a speeding car)
Visit public places (terrorists could be spreading aerosolized anthrax)
Get involved in a relationship (they could cheat on you)
Go to a baseball game (a foul ball or home run could hit your child so hard it caused brain damage)

The list is really neverending. It's just silly to vaccinate for an STD to protect a child because "they might be sexually abused". There are all kinds of reasonable reasons to vaccinate, but that one just isn't at all reasonable. If you don't make decisions about the rest of your life with worst possible scenario considerations, why would you with this one?
#72 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Playing devil's advocate for a moment here:

If you're planning on giving your child the HPV vax anyway, the "she might be molested" might be a reason to give the vax at a younger age, but it's not reason enough to give the vaccine.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#73 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Playing devil's advocate for a moment here:

If you're planning on giving your child the HPV vax anyway, the "she might be molested" might be a reason to give the vax at a younger age, but it's not reason enough to give the vaccine.
I never even thought of that, but it actually makes perfect sense. It seems to me that a 12-year-old girl would be much more able to protect herself from a molester than, say, a 6-year-old. And many pedophiles like really, really young children. <shudder>
#74 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 04:19 AM

Lycopenes are wonderful. Yes, antioxidants in general are fabulous. Not smoking is one of the most potent preventions of cervical cancer. But bottom line is that HPV is something that tends to be contracted by younger women who do tend to take more risks. Americans in general don't eat especially well. This could be an incredibly valuable tool in preventing cervical dysplasia and cancer. Why not make it available?

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#75 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info, Plummeting!
#76 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 01:10 PM

DH and I were taking DD to see her endocrinologist yesterday, and the HPV commercial (which seems to be on TV about 37 times a day, on average) came on the radio - he says to me, WTH is up with the HPV thing all of a sudden? So I told him, "Well what do you think? They're coming out with a vaccine, of course - and they need to scare us all into running out to get shot up!"

He was skeptical, until I reminded him about the Menactra campaign - how bacterial meningitis suddenly became a raging epidemic on US college campuses in the last year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
If you or anyone else want their children to get this vaccine when it becomes available, that's your perogative . . .
I agree. If you are confident that this vax will help YOU avoid cervical cancer, then by all means get it. I won't belittle you for making a truly informed choice.

BUT:

Quote:
This vaccine will undoubtedly be universally recommended . . . and vaccines universally recommended and placed on the CDC immunization schedule have historically led to daycare/school/college mandates. The only vaccine not yet on state mandate lists is the influenza vaccine . . . and it's only a matter of time on that one because it just went on the list.

This "cancer vaccine" will be no different. It may take a few years, but it will be mandated. Not only mandated, but the indication age will probably be lowered to infancy in the years to come . . . ya know, so they can get 'em while their young before they start to have sex . . . like the Hep. B vax at birth. You haven't noticed how they progessively keep approving lower indication ages on these vaxes? The latest was Hep. A lowered to 12 months and now Menactra is set to be lowered to age 2. Hep A vaccine is slowly but surely making the rounds on state mandate lists (there's a bill in the NY legislature trying to mandate Hep A along with pneumoccocal vaccine . . . with many states following suit if they don't have these two mandated already).

This vaccine will be mandated ultimately . . . it's happened with every vaccine on the list. ACIP recommendation is a mere stepping stone to state-by-state mandation.

This is the problem. If YOU want the vax, fine - it'll be easy enough for you to get it. I DON'T want it for my kids. For me, this will be just one more damn thing I'll have to fight over with my ped and any school my kids attend. It's a waste of my time and energy, since my mind is already made up.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#77 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
This is the problem.

Take a look at tetanus. Tetanus was not a common disease before the vaccine's introduction and is NOT a communicable disease . . . yet it's mandated for school entry.

. . . and many states have passed legislation mandating a tetanus booster for school entry if it's been 10 years since the last tetanus shot. In other words, if the child's last DTaP was at 18 months of age, they will be required to get a booster by the time they graduate grammar school or enter middle/junior high.

I laugh every time a vaxer says their child is "up-to-date." They'll never be up-to-date. Ultimately Hep. A is going to be mandated for all school-age children . . . the same way they are passing "catch up" legislation for Hep. B and varicella vaccines in order to get the ones they missed. The ACIP has already made it clear that state "catch up" Hep A programs should be implemented.
#78 of 83 Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 AM

I guess ABSTINENCE is too hard and unrealistic to prevent STD's nowadays....so is saving virginity for marriage and being faithful to one's spouse??? These two old-fashioned ideas would eliminate 99% of STD's.

The problem i have with this vaccine is the unknowns. What's in it? What are the side effects? (they will be just as bad as HepB or even worse is my prediction)

What's going to happen when the HIV vaccine comes out? The SGC-GH vax (syphillis, gonnorrhea, chlyamidia, gential wart, herpes) will come out soon too i'm sure.

Why doesn't someone develop a vax for the common cold? It would be much more useful.
#79 of 83 Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineP
What's going to happen when the HIV vaccine comes out? The SGC-GH vax (syphillis, gonnorrhea, chlyamidia, gential wart, herpes) will come out soon too i'm sure.
These vaccines are all in the works . . . .
#80 of 83 Old 12-07-2007, 05:09 PM

where do you have proof that it contains lead? or that they blocked the lead from being listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123 View Post
Can anyone find the ingredients to the new Gardasil (merck) or Ceravix (GSK) ? I've searched and searched.

I see that Merck applied for a BLA and blocked the lead ingredients from being publicized.

When can we find out WHAT is in that shot. We all know it's more than just water and the weakened virus.

I see that Merck's Gardasil uses a traditional alum adjuvant whereas GSK's version will be a pumped up type of adjuvant called AS04. It is a new molecule made from the aluminum salts.

Questions I'd like the answers to :
* Is the vaccine a live attenuated virus , or is it inactivated ?

* What culture did they use to grow the vaccine in ? (monkey , rabbit , dog , human fetal , etc...)

* What are the "inactive" ingredients ? (formaldehyde , thimersol , aluminum)
#81 of 83 Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmyr88 View Post
where do you have proof that it contains lead? or that they blocked the lead from being listed.
I see you are new to MDC. Welcome. Do you mind telling us what brought you here, and so far back into archives?
#82 of 83 Old 12-08-2007, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
It looks to me as though the word is "lead" as in main or first, not "lead" as in heavy metal. Merck blocked the first few ingredients, probably because they are trying to keep other companies from riding on their research.

Easy to misunderstand!
#83 of 83 Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
As for myself, considering the incestuous relationships between pharmaceutical companies, university researchers and the FDA/ Health Canada, rampant cooking of statistics, skewed research methods and financial incentive behind vaccine production and statistically low risk, I wouldn't even consider this vaccine.
I guess you would be talking about me! As a university researcher with *gasp* a PhD, I guess I falsified all my HPV research, and so did my colleagues.

I don't know where everyone is getting their info, but so much of it is twisted and incorrect. I'm just too busy and tired to go through all 5 pages and address all the comments line by line. It's one thing to decline the vaccine, but it's another to not understand the disease process, which clearly, so many don't.

Oh well, off to "skew" some more research and inflate the significance of my results

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page