Goopy eye in newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My newborn seems to have a "blocked tear duct," a swollen eye with a mucousy discharge. I have also heard it referred to as conjunctivitis (pink eye), but i thought they were two different things. Anyway, I heard that breastmilk is good for conjunctivitis. Would it be appropriate for a blocked tear duct, assuming they are not the same thing?

Maybe I am not in the right forum.

Thanks
#2 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 AM

nak - they'll probably move this to health&healing.
My dd had this and I used breastmilk, as well as a homeopathic eyedrop mix called omeoftal (no way I was doing abx with a newborn!).
Definitely give it a try!
I didn't want to give her anything orally initially, but if the breastmilk and drops hadn't worked to clear the pink in her eye, I would have given her homeopathic Euphrasia and called the homeopath.
HTH!
#3 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Breastmilk is good for everything!

Seriously, try cleaning the eye from the corner out, with a warm washcloth, then drip breastmilk in it and let it dry. I'd probably repeat every 2 or 3 hours--or as often as the baby nurses. A blocked tear duct isn't the same as conjunctivitis, but basically the breastmilk absolutely won't hurt--and could do a lot of good.

Just in case it is conjunctivitis, be sure to wash your hands a lot, never reuse a washcloth or towel for the baby, change bedding frequently, and keep the other kids clear of it. It's not fatal, but it's annoying and highly contagious. The first time Clara picked up pink eye--full blown, and soon followed by mine and my husband's bout--the ped said that if left untreated, it will generally clear on its own in a week or so. We treated with antibiotics only because she's in daycare, and would not be allowed back until free of symptoms.

Mom of two girls.
#4 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 AM

My dd started having the goopy eye during a cold a couple months ago and it still comes and goes. I've found that when it was really gunky and plugged to the point that she had a red circle under her eye, the breastmilk application helped immensely. The trick is to apply it consistently throughout the day, with every feeding if possible.. she was older- 6 months when it started so she would squirm alot and it made it difficult to get it in there without actually expressing some in a bowl and using a dropper. I'm kinda lazy so I usually just popped her off the boob when letdown happened and let the spray do the work...messy but effective.
I also found that that using a warm washcloth to gently massage the corner of her eye helped too. That was easiest to do when she was either just woken up happily or sound asleep.

It's kinda frustrating for us cause sometimes it seems like it's completely gone for a week and then it comes back. It seems to be the worst when she's fighting a cold.

Good luck!

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#5 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Ds1 often had a goopy eye. Yellow goop is just dried/thickened tears. You only have to worry if it is green or if the skin around the eye is red or swollen. My ped says that it is normal for babies' tear ducts not to drain properly and the extra goop is the result. Wipe it off with a warm wet cotton ball and you can put breastmilk in if you want.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#6 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 10:21 AM

My DS had plugged tear ducts when he was born. It does look like an eye infection but it isn't. He basically had his eyes sealed shut every time he slept for a long time. It was upsetting to him when he couldn't open his eyes right away but all it took was wiping his eyes with a warm washcloth (not too warm!) to get them open. The duct problem would not respond to breastmilk or any other conjunctivitis treatment (natural as we don't do antibiotics) but his eyes would get irritated sometimes as a secondary symptom and that redness and irritation would respond to breastmilk. The best thing for it was to prevent irritation by keeping his eyes clean with a warm washcloth. You can also help it by very gently massaging the tear ducts.

It did gradually improve but he was still having gunky eyes in 2nd grade. Sometimes over that year it cleared up and he doesn't have that problem anymore. Our biggest problem in school was the nurses being convinced he had pink eye and wanting to send him home. :

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#7 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 10:29 AM

My DS had plugged tear ducts when he was born. It does look like an eye infection but it isn't. He basically had his eyes sealed shut every time he slept for a long time. It was upsetting to him when he couldn't open his eyes right away but all it took was wiping his eyes with a warm washcloth (not too warm!) to get them open. The duct problem would not respond to breastmilk or any other conjunctivitis treatment (natural as we don't do antibiotics) but his eyes would get irritated sometimes as a secondary symptom and that redness and irritation would respond to breastmilk. The best thing for it was to prevent irritation by keeping his eyes clean with a warm washcloth. You can also help it by very gently massaging the tear ducts.

It did gradually improve but he was still having gunky eyes in 2nd grade. Sometimes over that year it cleared up and he doesn't have that problem anymore. Our biggest problem in school was the nurses being convinced he had pink eye and wanting to send him home. :

Laura

#8 of 12 Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 AM

Laura

#9 of 12 Old 05-23-2006, 02:39 AM

This may be a little gross, but...
when my great-grandmother's babies got goopy eyes, she would wipe their eyes with a fresh wet diaper. Urine is sterile, and they usually cleared up.
#10 of 12 Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 AM
Banned

a little gross? Ughhh. someones butt was on that thing!!

My DS also had a plugged duct. I actually fixed it by massaging the duct itself gently. But that eye has a tendency to get goopier than the other during colds, etc.

BM is excellent for non-physical goopiness.
#11 of 12 Old 05-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Banned

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1035.html

This explains that it could be both, the plugged duct causing the conjunctivitess
#12 of 12 Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravofrenchie
This may be a little gross, but...
when my great-grandmother's babies got goopy eyes, she would wipe their eyes with a fresh wet diaper. Urine is sterile, and they usually cleared up.
Yep, urine (a person's own) is a good cure for a lot of things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page